Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 PM

79 posts, read 326,579 times

Advertisements

OK, so hubby accepted the job offer for Huntsville! We think his start date will be the first week of April (so soon!).
We are looking at some rentals online and unfortunately cannot afford a visit to the area before we move.
We are hoping to find a decent 3 bedroom less than $800/month, hopefully more than 1 bath with a yard.
My hubby is from Chicago and misses lightening bugs, wants to know if there are any in Huntsville.
We would like to live near a wooded area or somewhere close for us to pack up and go camping/4wheeling for the weekend.
Is Huntsville a dry city? Any bars in the area looking to hire part-time waittress?
Woo-Hoo Huntsville, here we come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,768,422 times
Huntsville is wet and has plenty of bars. I don't know of anyone who wanted to work as a waitress who had any difficulty finding work.

$800 a month for a 3/2 in Huntsville's safer areas is getting more rare, but I'm betting you'll find something if you bring references and present well.

And yes, Huntsville has ligtening bugs. Camping is available in Monte Sano State Park, as well as Guntersville State Park. Don't know of any nearby areas that welcome 4wheelers, but maybe others will come online and help you out there.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM

262 posts, read 790,807 times
We rented our first year here to make sure of the area that we wanted to live in before we bought. There are very few rentals in that price range in decent areas...especially in decent school districts. However, you might try watching the MLS to see if there are houses in your price range that are sitting on the market for a long time, contact the realtor and ask if the owner might consider renting it out. That is how I found our rental. The owner was thrilled.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 PM

22 posts, read 52,862 times
Congrats on the new job offer and best of luck. I myself have been applying like crazy to get a job in the Huntsville area.
I have not been looking into rentals but as mentioned above $800 seems doable and the checking of MLS is also a great idea as well.

Valleymls.com is what I pretty much use as well as FSBO.com

Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 PM

871 posts, read 2,873,336 times
There are a couple of ATV places down by Cullman. It is about 45 minutes from Huntsville.

Here is one of them...
Stony Lonesome OHV Park - Cullman County, AL

Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 PM

79 posts, read 326,579 times
Thanks for the ATV park link...we are getting even more excited!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM

73 posts, read 203,682 times
If your willing to go with an apartment complex you can get a very nice 3 br in Madison in some nice areas. @$800 you can get pool ect.. Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. if your willing to go that route. I think you may have trouble finding a house in a good neighborhood @$800 a month (but i don't know the current market)

Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,777,814 times
If you aren't worried about school districts, I think you'll be able to find a 3/2 or 3/1.5 for 800 in a safe area.

ValleyMLS.com
http://realestate.al.com/

These are probably your best resources to get started.

For camping, there are a LOT of places within a few hours for camping in N.Alabama, N.Georgia and Tennessee. Heck, right here in town, we have Monte Sano State Park. DeSoto State Park in NE Alabama is a beautiful park. The Bankhead National Forest/Sipsey Wilderness offers backcountry camping just about 1-1.5 hours away. The Smokies are about 4-5 hours from here with a variety of camping from car/RV camping to backcountry sites. There are many more throughout the region.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:37 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,822,355 times
Don't forget that we are close to the beach and there are state parks there that have camping.
We have tons of lightning bugs!!!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Don't forget that we are close to the beach
Six and half hours, 360 miles is close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area