Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:15 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilredrose View Post
3) You're gonna stick out like a sore thumb (I'm a very fairskinned redhead) My response to this is that I'm already considered a "redheaded stepchild" here in El Paso because most of the population is Hispanic! I love sticking out like a sore thumb...as long as its all in good fun!
Now I just want to know what they think people in Alabama look like if you will stick out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 AM

66 posts, read 180,542 times
again - as my tagline reads - "At least we're not El Paso!"
no comparison on any front
Juarez is the most dangerous city in the world now? Oh - the one right next to El Paso? YES
no desert wind and flying sand
no stink from burning tire factories (The "El Paso" ambiance?)
none of them having been to Alabama should have been a clue...

HSV ranked today as the #1 city in the US of A for job growth prospects. Number 1.
Madison ranked #2 in the country for kids to grow up
I could go on.... but the bottom line comes back to it this way:

At least we're not El Paso!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM

71 posts, read 143,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Now I just want to know what they think people in Alabama look like if you will stick out.
We're all four foot tall neckless trolls that speak in grunts.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictorian View Post
We're all four foot tall neckless trolls that speak in grunts.
Sorry fellow Alabamians, but it appears they think we all look just like me.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I've noticed that people in north MS that live in mobile homes do put tires on their roof. I asked the reason once and was told it keeps the roof from "popping" when the wind blows. I haven't noticed this anywhere in AL so I assume it must be a local thing.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've noticed that people in north MS that live in mobile homes do put tires on their roof. I asked the reason once and was told it keeps the roof from "popping" when the wind blows. I haven't noticed this anywhere in AL so I assume it must be a local thing.
They probably just set their homes upside down.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM

63 posts, read 158,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I lived in MS for 10 years, worked all over the state and cannot recall ever seeing tires on a mobile home. Never seen any in Alabama either.

I also lived in New Jersey and worked in NJ, PA, NY and DE and there are quite a few mobile home parks in all those states. Lots of "red necks" as well. The biggest difference between the people I lived and worked around in NJ and areas North and the people here in Huntsville is the accent. I found the north to be a little faster paced, but the people were nice as were the area we lived (very down to earth home like feel).

I think Alabama gets a bad rap because of the media. Any time a tornado touches down, the local media go looking for the stereotypical southerner with missing teeth and a beer gut to put on the national news.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmontg View Post
I think Alabama gets a bad rap because of the media. Any time a tornado touches down, the local media go looking for the stereotypical southerner with missing teeth and a beer gut to put on the national news.
Actually those just happened to be the only people that tornadoes go after. These are also the same people that get abducted by UFOs.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWallace View Post
Clearly you need to move here (or somewhere) to get away from those narrow-minded nincompoops.
Absolutely. Welcome to Huntsville, Rose!

We are a fun bunch here.

We enjoy fishing on our house boat

Hunting on weekends

We are VERY FRIENDLY PEOPLE... We don't just others by how they look, or how they talk. We are very open minded folks here.

So please stop by... My wife and I just love company

Old 03-19-2010, 05:02 PM

79 posts, read 327,236 times
LOL! 4 weeks and counting!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area