U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 PM
 
3,185 posts, read 4,999,363 times
Reputation: 1829
Mmm, good Christian beer...

The Nook (at Bob Wallace and Triana) offers the best selection. Stem and Stein on County Line Road is a great little place (if you're out that way).

Try Masons, Chophouse, and Humphreys downtown (Washington and Clinton); IIRC they each offer the Belgians you mention plus Masons has a great selection.

Bandito Burrito Southside on South Parkway has some nice beers, as does Mellow Mushroom at Providence (across from Kalou's, which I thought was a market?).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Huntsville native
807 posts, read 1,396,977 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45002 View Post
So far, I have found Stella at Connors but not any of the Trappist beers. Does anyone know where I can find good Belgian beer? Looking for both restaurant/bars so I can enjoy with a meal and retail so I can take home. Rochefort is what I miss most but Orval, Duvel, Westmalle, and Chimay would also be good.

thanks,

marc
Stella is mediocre at best and all of the other Belgian beers you mentioned can be found in Huntsville. The only true Trappist ales you'll find around here are Orval, Chimay, Westmalle, and sometimes Rochefort. I am actually a beer sales rep for Alabev and sell Belgians like Duvel, Delirium, Maredsous, LaChouffe, Witkap, Gouden Carolus, Kasteel, etc. Bottom line is, if your favorite restaurant or retail outlet doesn't carry something you are looking for, be sure to ask them. I have found that most places are overwhelmingly accommodating when customers ask for something and less so when a sales rep (like me) tries to convince them they should carry it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:25 AM
 
422 posts, read 570,099 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I am actually a beer sales rep for Alabev and sell Belgians like Duvel, Delirium, Maredsous, LaChouffe, Witkap, Gouden Carolus, Kasteel, etc.
So how does one get a sweet job like that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Madison, AL
250 posts, read 346,642 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Stella is mediocre at best and all of the other Belgian beers you mentioned can be found in Huntsville. The only true Trappist ales you'll find around here are Orval, Chimay, Westmalle, and sometimes Rochefort. I am actually a beer sales rep for Alabev and sell Belgians like Duvel, Delirium, Maredsous, LaChouffe, Witkap, Gouden Carolus, Kasteel, etc. Bottom line is, if your favorite restaurant or retail outlet doesn't carry something you are looking for, be sure to ask them. I have found that most places are overwhelmingly accommodating when customers ask for something and less so when a sales rep (like me) tries to convince them they should carry it.
Thanks!!!!

Please let me know if you ever get your hands on some Westvelteren.

My favorite is Rochefort 10 so I will just have to find a retailer that carries it (or have them contact you).

Again, thanks,

Marc (currently living in Brussels but moving to Huntsville)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Madison, AL
292 posts, read 255,913 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Stella is mediocre at best and all of the other Belgian beers you mentioned can be found in Huntsville. The only true Trappist ales you'll find around here are Orval, Chimay, Westmalle, and sometimes Rochefort. I am actually a beer sales rep for Alabev and sell Belgians like Duvel, Delirium, Maredsous, LaChouffe, Witkap, Gouden Carolus, Kasteel, etc. Bottom line is, if your favorite restaurant or retail outlet doesn't carry something you are looking for, be sure to ask them. I have found that most places are overwhelmingly accommodating when customers ask for something and less so when a sales rep (like me) tries to convince them they should carry it.
Deesonic,

You might remember me from our conversations in the Nook, I'm the ex belgian with the big moustache.
The reason you say a Stella is mediocre is mostly because every bar here serves the belgian beers way to cold.
If any bar in Belgium would serve the belgian beers at the temperatures as they serve them here, first the bartender would be fired on the spot and the bar would be very quickly bankrupt because the customers would run away.
I know the US importers and the sales people here tell the customers the temperatures but they are wrong.

Stella has to be cool, not ice cold as it is served here, and the same for the kind of beers that you call Trappist, they should be at room temperature.
I have had that conversation so many times also with Beverly and here boss.
That is why I call her ahead when I come to the Nook to take my beers out the cooler a few hours earlier.
You should try it also, and you will discover the real taste as it should be tasted.

If Marc moves from Brussels to Huntsville he will tell you the very same thing.

As for stella, I was born and raised in Leuven aka Stella town (Stella brewery is in Leuven) , and had also over the years there a few bars.
I believe I had my first Stella at the age of 7 (normal in Belgium at that time) and today 53 years later I'm still a regular Stella drinker.
But I rather drink my Stella at home because each bar here ruines the tatste of the Stella by the wrong temperature.
I have also several other belgian beers, but none of them ever sees a cooler in my house.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Hville
1,235 posts, read 1,581,803 times
Reputation: 272
Glad I found this thread. I am a Belgian beer fan (even like Belgian football).

Does anyone carry Lambic Kriek or Framboise? I was picking it up in Nashville when I was in the area.

Deesonic - beer sales rep? Please let me know if your company is hiring.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
 
422 posts, read 570,099 times
Reputation: 206
Nook has 1 Lambic Framboise on tap. I believe its rasberry flavor. But you can get others in bottles there. You can Lambic bottles in a lot of places around Huntsville.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Huntsville native
807 posts, read 1,396,977 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
Deesonic,

You might remember me from our conversations in the Nook, I'm the ex belgian with the big moustache.
Yes, I do! Good to chat again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
The reason you say a Stella is mediocre is mostly because every bar here serves the belgian beers way to cold.
If any bar in Belgium would serve the belgian beers at the temperatures as they serve them here, first the bartender would be fired on the spot and the bar would be very quickly bankrupt because the customers would run away.
I know the US importers and the sales people here tell the customers the temperatures but they are wrong.

Stella has to be cool, not ice cold as it is served here, and the same for the kind of beers that you call Trappist, they should be at room temperature.
I have had that conversation so many times also with Beverly and here boss.
That is why I call her ahead when I come to the Nook to take my beers out the cooler a few hours earlier.
You should try it also, and you will discover the real taste as it should be tasted.
I agree with you in principle about serving temps, but (and not to step on toes) I believe Stella to be the macro (like Bud or Miller) beer of Belgium. It's much better than a typical American macro domestic. However, when I reach for a Belgian beer, that ain't it. It's basically a watery pale Euro lager with noticeably more flavor than the typical Buds, Millers, and Coors. But I don't think it's a bad beer necessarily.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Hville
1,235 posts, read 1,581,803 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Nook has 1 Lambic Framboise on tap. I believe its rasberry flavor. But you can get others in bottles there. You can Lambic bottles in a lot of places around Huntsville.
Where are these places? I couldn't find it at Stem & Stein a few months back, and that's the closest one to me in East Limestone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Madison, AL
292 posts, read 255,913 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I agree with you in principle about serving temps, but (and not to step on toes) I believe Stella to be the macro (like Bud or Miller) beer of Belgium. It's much better than a typical American macro domestic. However, when I reach for a Belgian beer, that ain't it. It's basically a watery pale Euro lager with noticeably more flavor than the typical Buds, Millers, and Coors. But I don't think it's a bad beer necessarily.
No you don't step on toes at all because your point is correct as a Stella is the belgian macro brew as Bud is for the USA.
A Stella is the working man's beer in Belgium, that you drink when you are thirsty.
The others as a Duvel, Chimay, Trappist, etc, is something you enjoy like a good glass of wine. Drink it with a good book, or enjoy with friends.
They are not the beers that we drink round after round while partying.
That's were we got the Stella or Jupiler or Maes for, that's the "party till you get drunk" beer.

For example, when I cut my grass, I may take a Stella with me.
But once the grass is done, take my shower, have dinner and relax with a book or a movie, then I will enjoy a Duvel or such or maybe a good glass of wine or a cognac.
And with that Duvel or wine, I will have a plate with small cut up pieces of a good French or Dutch older cheese.
That is for me "heaven on earth" ...

Now if only I could find a good supply for Pastis ....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top