Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 AM

207 posts, read 685,087 times

Advertisements

Hi from another CA transplant. We're going to Huntsville
over the Christmas Holidays to check it out as well. At present we're living in FL. Not really our cup of tea...Huntsville does seem more inviting...would love to hear from other CA transplants about how they view the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 12:43 PM

44 posts, read 229,361 times
Default suggestions for your visit to Huntsville

one of my best buds growing up moved with his family from California, from the Chico area actually, they have been here in Huntsville (the Jones Valley area) over 10 years with no plans on moving back. Factors for not moving include the economy, housing, cost of living, and education. Moving here makes more sense if you aren't emotionally attached to where ever you are from because it all adds up to a great city filled with friendly educated people, and more disposable income because you are moving to the nation's number ONE most affordable metro by cost of living and salary expectations.

California transplants generally love the move because they can afford larger houses on lakes or mountains or in valleys of comparable beauty with a mortgage a third of their previous mortgage if in a comparable house in California. When you come to visit please check out several areas of Huntsville I am sure you will love and write these down when looking for areas to live:
Hampton Cove/Big Cove area in East Huntsville (the prettiest area in my opinion), Jones Valley in South east Huntsville (it's an area surrounded by the nation's largest farm set entirely within a city), The Ledges, a private community ontop of the mountain over looking Jones Valley on one side and Hampton Cove on the other, the new planned urban development Providence in West Huntsville, and the historic Twickenham District downtown with Antebellum homes lining friendly streets set under a canopy of 100 year old trees. Also areas set along the hillsides of mountains like Governors bend can be found throughout the area.
All of these areas are a short drive to work, unlike California and even local areas like Birmingham traffic here is not that big of a problem! IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS DON'T HESITATE TO ASK. When you come to visit, please see which community fits you best, there are sooo many more than what I have described, I just put some of my favorites.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:52 PM

485 posts, read 1,451,557 times
I moved to Huntsville 8 years ago from Houston and bought a house in Madison. One of the original poster's questions was regarding property taxes in Madison. My house in Madison is 200 sq ft larger than my house in Houston. It is valued ~50% more than my house in Houston (house here is nicer and RE in Houston is very inexpensive). Anyway my property taxes here are ~ $600/year, whereas I was paying ~$3200/year for less house in Houston. The Madison city schools are also highly regarded.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 32,462 times
Smile Property Taxes in Huntsville Area

Taxes for Huntsville and surrounding areas:

Huntsville $5.80 for each $100 assessed value

Rural Madison County $3.35 or $3.65 for each $100 assessed value

City of Madison $5.75 for each $100 assessed value

Triana $4.95 for each $100 assessed value

Gurley, New Hope, Owens Cross Roads $4.05 for each $100 assessed value

Hope this information is helpful. Pulled directly from Madison County Tax Accessor's Office website.
[cut]

M

Last edited by Marka; 09-07-2006 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: advertising again

Old 09-09-2006, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 11,401 times
I'm an old baby boomer air-force brat from California. Huntsville is great; been there & done that. We live just off Peridido Bay across the bridge from Pensacola in an area called Spanish Cove. We have (close guess) 90 percent age 50 up with many being ex-military. About half are snow birds; with many now choosing to live here year round. We have a lot of amenities for lower homeowner fees, low low taxes, & just have to go across the bridge into Florida for no tax on groceries, milityary benefits, etc. Good luck in Huntsville.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoni57 View Post
one of my best buds growing up moved with his family from California, from the Chico area actually, they have been here in Huntsville (the Jones Valley area) over 10 years with no plans on moving back. Factors for not moving include the economy, housing, cost of living, and education. Moving here makes more sense if you aren't emotionally attached to where ever you are from because it all adds up to a great city filled with friendly educated people, and more disposable income because you are moving to the nation's number ONE most affordable metro by cost of living and salary expectations.

California transplants generally love the move because they can afford larger houses on lakes or mountains or in valleys of comparable beauty with a mortgage a third of their previous mortgage if in a comparable house in California. When you come to visit please check out several areas of Huntsville I am sure you will love and write these down when looking for areas to live:
Hampton Cove/Big Cove area in East Huntsville (the prettiest area in my opinion), Jones Valley in South east Huntsville (it's an area surrounded by the nation's largest farm set entirely within a city), The Ledges, a private community ontop of the mountain over looking Jones Valley on one side and Hampton Cove on the other, the new planned urban development Providence in West Huntsville, and the historic Twickenham District downtown with Antebellum homes lining friendly streets set under a canopy of 100 year old trees. Also areas set along the hillsides of mountains like Governors bend can be found throughout the area.
All of these areas are a short drive to work, unlike California and even local areas like Birmingham traffic here is not that big of a problem! IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS DON'T HESITATE TO ASK. When you come to visit, please see which community fits you best, there are sooo many more than what I have described, I just put some of my favorites.
Thanks for the info, brandoni...will check out those areas for sure! We are sooo looking forward to Alabama...it just sounds just wonderful. I have met several people from Huntsville, while living here in Florida, and they are all the friendliest people I've ever met.

We would like to live in an area where it's possible to have a couple of acreas and someone told me about the Killen area. I know it's west of Huntsville, but that's about it. Do you have any insights on that area?

Thanks for any and all info.....

Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 PM

No problem! Killen is actually in a lovely part of North Alabama, it's not really in the Huntsville area, its closer to Florence (which is a very cute town). The killen area is a small community where most everyone has a thick southern accent. It's right on the river and you can probably get some great waterfront property there, I've enjoyed water sports on the lake there and there are some gorgeous homes with great views.

Where you are looking is a great area but a little far from Huntsvegas, about 51 miles to the west of huntsville/ research park area. About an hour or better drive depending on time of day. Good luck to you in your search, you will enjoy the area I'm sure.

If you want acreage closer to Huntsville, look in the NewMarket area, Meridianville area, Gurley area, Monrovia area, and Owenscrossroads Area. These are great communities with a small town feel closer to the big city ammenities.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoni57 View Post
No problem! Killen is actually in a lovely part of North Alabama, it's not really in the Huntsville area, its closer to Florence (which is a very cute town). The killen area is a small community where most everyone has a thick southern accent. It's right on the river and you can probably get some great waterfront property there, I've enjoyed water sports on the lake there and there are some gorgeous homes with great views.

Where you are looking is a great area but a little far from Huntsvegas, about 51 miles to the west of huntsville/ research park area. About an hour or better drive depending on time of day. Good luck to you in your search, you will enjoy the area I'm sure.

If you want acreage closer to Huntsville, look in the NewMarket area, Meridianville area, Gurley area, Monrovia area, and Owenscrossroads Area. These are great communities with a small town feel closer to the big city ammenities.
Thanks so much, Brandoni....maybe Killen IS a little too far from Huntsville...not sure about the commute to work.
But I sure do LOVE southern accents...so soft sounding.
Being from CA, (there doesn't seem to be any accents
there at all), it's like music to my ears.

I did check out Florence on the net, as well, and that looks good too. Well, for sure I'll check into NewMarket area, Meridianville area, Gurley area, Monrovia area, and Owenscrossroads Area, as you mentioned. Maybe one of those area would be better since they'd be closer to Huntsville.
Hubby had a l o n g commute in CA and we've been trying to do away with that! LOL!

Thanks so much for your time...really appreciate it! Have a great day.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 PM

no problem. you keep researching and do some first hand observing when you arrive and have time to do indepth 'driving around.' You will find something that fits I am sure. good luck to you and drop a message when you narrow the search down.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,454 times
Default Huntsville/Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
I've been offered a job with TVA down at Browns Ferry and am seriously considering moving there.

I love the area having gone around it for a few days during my inital interview. Problem is, the wife has never lived outside Orange County and is scared to death. I've tried to tell her that it's not a stereotypical southern town but to no avail.

Any ideas/suggestions to put her fears to rest? We'll be out within the next two weeks to look at housing, etc...
Greetings,
My wife and I moved to the Madison area about 14 months ago and we love it. We moved from Ohio to Alabama. Huntsville/Northern, AL. is very different for Alabama. It is more diverse due to NASA/Redstone Arsenal/SAIC and other companies hiring and recruiting employees from around the world. This area is considered the silicon valley of the south. One of the greatest benefits to us is the low cost of housing compared to other parts of the USA.
If you own your home in Orange County and sell it for a profit, you can pay cash for a house here of equal or greater in size. That's amazing. Our daughter attends Bob Jones High School which is one of the best High schools in the State. Check out GreatSchools.com. We love the fact that we are three hours drive from Atlanta, one hour and thirty minutes from Nashville, TN, 3.5 hours from Montgomery, AL., 4.5 hours from Tallahassee, FL., 5.5 hours from the Gulf of Mexico (Orange Beach and Gulf Shores AL.) beach front property areas.

There's a very wonderful Airport with daily flights to Orange County/Ontario/LAX. Birmingham, AL. is only 75 miles from Madison. We are currently looking at land to build our home about 10 miles north on SR 72. We are visiting the high school in that area this week. It is our understanding that the school in that area rates number two to Bob Jones.

Madison is a very nice area to reside. You have many choices of subdivisions to purchase your home. Check out this website to view some of the properties listed throughout the region: removed. We hope this will help you to make your decision. Take care and be Blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area