Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM

26 posts, read 72,829 times

Advertisements

I've done some searching for threads about jobs in the Huntsville/Decatur area, but didn't find anything recent.

My wife and I will be moving to Decatur on May 3rd (when the movers arrive is another question).

My business has been doing well enough that I wasn't particularly concerned about how long it would take for my wife to find a job. Sales for me have slowed down in the last several weeks, though, so now I'm concerned.

Are there jobs to be had? She has a good work history at a variety of jobs, from office to retail to light factory.

Aside from the online newspapers and sites like Monster.com, are there other resources for jobs?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
GetSmart
https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/

Adtran (telecom equip), Sanmina (PCB), Cinram (DVD stamping), Navistar (former International -v6v8 engines) -are non-govt manufacturing. They have production ups and downs, some relocated assembly lines to Mexico, some relocated office functions overseas. Continental (former Siemens, former Chrysler-auto electronics) is closing altogether in fall.

For govt manufacturing (albeit on a smaller scale) -read contractor for govt- you need to scour this website and see what each is doing and type of jobs they offer (MOSTLY engineering)-e.g. Benchmark
Huntsville Alabama USA - Companies in CRP - Alphabetical List

Other manufacturing opportunities may be found outside Hsv in Decatur (but they have had their fair share of downsizing)

The Chambers refers to 220 manufacturing companies, but don't know which they are except the LARGE ones above-mentioned (acres of building and parking).
http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/...facturing.html They may be including "a whole in wall"-type (compared to the above), smaller companies like 3 design engineers-10 assembly people.

Office and retail should be found relatively easy as well, depending on what you want. "Office" is admin assistant, clerical, but also accounting, paralegal etc.

Last edited by friday13; 04-22-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Thanks, friday13. I sure hope she finds work soon after we get there. She wants to do all sorts of stuff with the house, but I have to remind her that a job comes first.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 AM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
There aren't many jobs in Huntsville(AS OF NOW).

Last edited by mimpdaddy; 04-26-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyleg View Post
I've done some searching for threads about jobs in the Huntsville/Decatur area, but didn't find anything recent.

My wife and I will be moving to Decatur on May 3rd (when the movers arrive is another question).

My business has been doing well enough that I wasn't particularly concerned about how long it would take for my wife to find a job. Sales for me have slowed down in the last several weeks, though, so now I'm concerned.

Are there jobs to be had? She has a good work history at a variety of jobs, from office to retail to light factory.

Aside from the online newspapers and sites like Monster.com, are there other resources for jobs?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Has she checked with temp agencies, like Kelly Services?

I know Boeing was using Kelly to fill temp positions that often times turn full time. DH said that the temps make a pretty good per hour. A friend of ours started as a Office Assistant through Kelly, and when she was hired on by Boeing full time, her hourly was actually lower, but of course she was a full time employee with benefits. She is now an Administrative Assistant for a manager on GMD, and she probably has the most secure GMD job there is (her manager could not function without her!)

Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks again for the replies.

She's done all sorts of work, and she's worked through temp help agencies.

One concern I have is her age: 55. I know a lot of people in our age group who've lost their jobs. Most of them were in higher-up positions, though, where they were more expensive than younger workers. She doesn't have that problem.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:03 PM

379 posts, read 848,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
There aren't many jobs in Huntsville(AS OF NOW).
I thought employment was Huntsville's strong suit.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
I thought employment was Huntsville's strong suit.
Pretty sure mimp was referring to OP asking along the lines of non-govt jobs. Which I'm sure they still exist but not in the (higher) numbers of govt.-type jobs. And as another poster said, there are "office" jobs to be held in govt. If you took the govt. out of Hsv, what would be left? manufacturing (addressed above), Hsv Hosp, UAH &schools, retail (floor jobs) and about every other business that needs office staff.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Check out Banks and Credit unions. One is always hiring, but you have to have a good credit history normally. CU normally pay more than Banks. Woodrift Bank in WalMart if you don't mind working holidays and weekends.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Many jobs have been cut here because many companies have left, the only decent employment left is on the arsenal or government contractor. I just want people to know that Huntsville is not this place full of jobs like they are lead to believe. Unless you have some type of bond with government work , I suggest you try another city. There plenty companies in Alabama or other southern states that are hiring now outside of Hsv. Bottom line don't believe the hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area