Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 16,713 times

Advertisements

We have moved from Reno, Nevada. I'm living with my parents right now in West AL, 1/2 an hour from Tupelo.
My hubby just got a job in Decatur and we need to rent a house 3+ bedrooms for 6-12 months until we can get established and buy a house. Does anyone know of a good location, with good schools?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Welcome!!
Decatur and Tupelo are somewhat similar.
What ages are your children?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM

956 posts, read 2,499,901 times
Welcome to Huntsville bekahdragon! I lived in Reno when I was a child for a few months...don't remember a whole lot about it, but do remember slot machines in the grocery store, lol!

I would begin my search at www.greatschools.net You can then determine which schools fit your children's needs first and find a rental from there. www.valleymls.com is a great place to search for rentals. Exercise caution if using Craigslist. We have had several local scams running wild lately with rentals. NEVER give them your info or money...make sure you can meet the agent OR owner AT the property Scammers have been taking homes that are for sale and loading them on cragislist telling renters to drive by....don't take the bait!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome!! My kids are 8 yr, 3 yr, 1 yr old. So schools are very important for me. I wouldn't mind moving out of the city. I think we would prefer it.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
I have been out in Decatur quite a lot lately (who said Huntsville agents won't show property in Decatur?) and the elementary I have always gotten the most requests for out there is Julian Harris Elementary. I would definitely check out greatschools.net

If you want to be out of the city, but still convenient to Decatur, you might consider Limestone County, particularly the eastern portions of Limestone County in the Creekside/E Limestone district. I have always heard very good things about the schools, and it is a short drive down 31 to Decatur, or you can hit 65. Athens also has some good schools, the most requested there is Brookhill Elementary and Julian Newman (what is it with the schools named after "Julians"?).

Again, those are just what past clients seem to want in those areas after doing their research. But I have always heard very good things about all three.

And I would not use Craigslist period looking for a rental. The person posing as an "agent" was actually taking potential renters out and showing them new construction homes that were unlocked, then doing a lease agreement, taking first and last month's rent, then telling them the onsite would have the keys. In a few circumstances, she actually had the onsite UNLOCK the home for her...he had no idea she was a scam artist, just thought she was an agent wanting to show the property.

I had a client last year move from Boonesville, MS which is right around Tupelo area...she said there was just three Realtors in her town. Hers was awful...it was a nightmare getting their house sold. Guess she didn't have to be great, seems she was guaranteed at least 1/3 of the business in that town!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Bekah, Decatur has a big variety of houses, even houses for rent. For rentals, check ValleyMLS.com, and the classified section of our local newspaper, http://decaturdaily.adperfect.com/web/ (access to the classified ads is free).

As for schools...Decatur schools offers a magnet school in grades 1-5, Leon Sheffield Elementary. Kindergartens are zoned for neighborhood schools. Three middle schools: Oak Park, Cedar Ridge, and Brookhaven. I would strongly urge you to reconsider carefully any area zoned for Brookhaven. That school has had some major problems in the last 2 or 3 years.
Two high schools: Austin and Decatur.

Like Huntsville's, Decatur's schools are under a federal court order for racial distribution and has been for more than 30 years. Your child must go to the designated school for your neighborhood unless he/she is selected for the magnet school program, is assigned to a different school to achieve racial balance, are homeschooled, or go to a private school. This is really not a big deal as long as you carefully choose the location of your home. I can DM you particulars. The schools do offer busing for all grades - something that is pretty new.

If you want a bit of land, you might consider Priceville or Hartselle, both with excellent schools. County schools - some are good, some are so-so.

When you look at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community, remember that ratings are only part of the picture. Most of Decatur's schools are fine. If you work with your child and stay familiar with his/or her teachers, your child will get a very good education almost anywhere they attend.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the many suggestions. I will be using them. We are now thinking maybe to buy. Hopefully we can. Houses are actually affordable around here. Reno there was nothing we could do to afford a house.

If anyone has suggestions on that I would love to hear. Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area