Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times

Advertisements

I think some here are confusing pressure with volume. You can have rusted up and partially clogged water pipes that provide barely a trickle out of a spigot and a pressure gauge may still show the normal pressure at the same spigot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I think some here are confusing pressure with volume. You can have rusted up and partially clogged water pipes that provide barely a trickle out of a spigot and a pressure gauge may still show the normal pressure at the same spigot.

That's a good point.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:09 PM

46,271 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's a good point.
Can you two please explain this to me?

Please define trickle....................

This is what I have been dealing with for the last 15+ years....

Boeing CH-47 Chinook - the Ramp Area.

So. I feel that what I have presented to this board is more than enough to make a decision and not make assumptions....

So your confusion maybe with me.......but it is becasue I do not understand how the water runs through a house...

Maybe I am looking at it wrong....but your answer of
Quote:
I think some here are confusing pressure with volume.
does not help me or anyone else on this board who may have the same problem....

An explanation of "why" would be great....

Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 PM

The electric current analogy is a a large DC voltage loaded with a very high resistor. Even though the voltage is high, the current is low. Water pressure is analogous to voltage, flow rate to current, resistance to blockage in the lines. Another way of envisioning it, if you open your faucet just a teeny tiny bit, only a trickle of water flows - even if there is a lot of water pressure. The smaller the opening, the lower the flow rate.

(Ever notice "closed" in fluid dynamics means no flow but "closed" in electric current means flow?)

Old 05-31-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Maybe I am looking at it wrong....but your answer of (my answer - "some here may be confusing volume with pressure.")
does not help me or anyone else on this board who may have the same problem....An explanation of "why" would be great....
Nobody here can solve your low VOLUME spigot problem without being there to inspect and test. You have to either figure it out yourself or go pay someone smarter than you to fix it for you. Sorry to have not helped out like you seem to be expecting.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Nobody here can solve your low VOLUME spigot problem without being there to inspect and test. You have to either figure it out yourself or go pay someone smarter than you to fix it for you. Sorry to have not helped out like you seem to be expecting.
WOW...calm down there big'un....

I do not think it is a VOLUME problem as you say....it is a PRESSURE problem....

No using your own wisdom how do YOU know it is a volume problem...if you have not been here?

Read the link I posted above....I have work on hydraulics for 15+ years....I KNOW the difference between volume and pressure....

What I do not know is how this type of system works.....I do not know if there is/was a regulator....somewhere in the house....

Now, there are A LOT of problems that are fixed on this type of board and MANY questions are answered on boards like the question I asked.....

Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM

Well I guess all you have to do is find your regulator and turn up the pressure then. Problem solved

Old 06-01-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Well I guess all you have to do is find your regulator and turn up the pressure then. Problem solved
Until the pipes or seals inside the house start leaking due to too high of pressure inside the house.

Original poster: This is what I would do. Buy the pressure tester (they are cheap and good to have). If the outside spigot is around 60 or 70 then that is an indication that that spigot is house (downstream of pressure regulator) pressure. See if you can find the pressure regulator. It should be in the front of the house, perhaps near the front yard spigot. See if the front yard spigot is upstream from the pressure regulator. If it is, measure the pressure there. If it is much higher (like 120 psi) that's another indication your backyard spigot is downstream of the regulator. Check to see if neighbors homes (if similar) have similar pressure. Check to see if all outside spigots have similar pressure. If the backyard pressure is high like 120 but the flow still seems low, then there may be a blockage. Is it worth it to figure this out? Maybe not, might not be worth the hassle.

I had the same problem - too low of pressure in my backyard due to that spigot being house pressure. What I did is run a PVC pipe (I kept it hidden so it wasn't ugly) and out of the sun (so I didn't need special schedule PVC) from upstream of the regulator in the front yard all the way to the backyard. I connected a spigot to that PVC pipe and there I had it, street pressure in the backyard; made backyard clean up easy to do.

Last edited by Charles; 06-01-2010 at 05:21 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Chuck,

First thing I'd ask is do you have a single supply of water to both inside and outside of your house? If you have only 1 H2O meter, then the answer is a "yes", which will make trouble shooting more difficult, unfortunately.

If the INSIDE water pressure is good, and it is on the same water supply as the outside spigot, then I'd say you have blockages somewhere in the line. If this is an older house, first I'd do is the unscrew the spigot itself and check for blockage.

Also make sure turn off inside water when you open the outside spigot.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM

HB2HSV, Charles...

Thank you for a response that is respectful...

I'll buy a pressure gauge this week sometime, and let you know the results.

More things I found out this weekend is, I have 3 spigots (though I only had 2..............1 on the north side of the house (most pressure, like house pressure) 2nd on the west side.... (not to bad but not right) the 3rd is on the south side....(extremely bad).....

So anyway...I hope I'll find out what is going on sometime this week or at least the next few....

Thanks again for the tips guys....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area