U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,239 times

Advertisements

Do workers and employees in our atate have the right to leave their workplace during a mandatory evacuation? I am not referring to military and / or emergency workers. Rather average citizens that work in our state. A large part of our population is employed in a in a service based industry of one type or another (retail, tourism etc...). When a mandatory evacuation is ordered can your company still demand you show up to work, "just in case you open"? Thsi may sound like a strange situation but my company made me, and members of my staff work in 2004 during both Frances and Jeanne. I both live and work on the Treasure Coast and was orderd to my place of employment by our district manager because " the experts didn't know where the storm was going to hit" and " we may still be open" both of these were absurd as the entire area around the business was ordered to leave. I was at my place of business on the morning of September 25th waiting for permission to leave. Once I received this permission I was able to take my family and scramble to Melbourne while feeder bands were coming on shore. I need my job, or else I would have just left. All preperations for the storms were already made. To me it looked like my regional and corporate pepople were acting our of greed and just didn't care about us. I know my employment is "at will" but are our citizens protected from abuses like this? I am sure I am not alone in this situation and would love to hear how this situation could, and should be handled, especially as we quickly approach the peak of the 2007 storm season.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 02:00 PM

4,617 posts, read 12,066,249 times
Good question....

Old 06-19-2007, 02:06 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,834,257 times
Contact the florida state wage and hour division- they may be able to answer this question.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,909,649 times
I work as a GOV contractor and our policy is based on our customer rules. If the USAF base has to evacuate we can evacuate. If any of the employees is designated an emergency team members the company normally will reimburse or paid the applicable wages. Each company has unique rules, so check with your employeer.

State employees also have unique rules, so they must check with their supervision. Usually members of the emergency team(s) have signed agreements and they list their requirements to be part of the team. Best approach check with your HR or supervisor.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:41 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,909,649 times
Lightbulb Emergency management support forces.--

252.41 Emergency management support forces.--

(1) The division is authorized to provide, within or without the state, such support from available personnel, equipment, and other resources of state agencies and the political subdivisions of the state as may be necessary to reinforce emergency management agencies in areas stricken by emergency. Such support shall be rendered with due consideration of the plans of the Federal Government, this state, the other states, and of the criticalness of the existing situation. Emergency management support forces shall be called to duty upon orders of the division and shall perform functions in any part of the state or, upon the conditions specified in this section, in other states.

(2) Personnel of emergency management support forces while on duty, whether within or without the state, shall:

(a) If they are employees of the state, have the powers, duties, rights, privileges, and immunities, and receive the compensation, incidental to their employment.

(b) If they are employees of a political subdivision of the state, whether serving within or without such political subdivision, have the powers, duties, rights, privileges, and immunities, and receive the compensation, incidental to their employment.

(c) If they are not employees of the state or a political subdivision thereof, they shall be entitled to the same rights and immunities as are provided by law for the employees of this state and to such compensation as may be fixed by the division. All personnel of emergency management support forces shall, while on duty, be subject to the operational control of the authority in charge of emergency management activities in the area in which they are serving and shall be reimbursed for all actual and necessary travel and subsistence expenses to the extent of funds available.

History.--s. 1, ch. 74-285; s. 24, ch. 83-334.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
I don't believe that you are protected.

During Hurricane Charley we were expected to come to work. Later, they "pardoned" us. Some employees still showed up, some with their families. One supervisor was so disgusted that he quit.

Afterwards, when there was a curfew, we had letters of exemption and had to show. There was no electricity but the company had a generator.

The worst part of hurricanes, for my family, was deciding to stay or go. If you are the working poor, it is not always financially feasible to leave, especially if you come back facing no job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes