U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 16,289 times
Default How about inland?

All you need to know is hurricanes all lost strength once they touch land, and insurance companies are a great source of accurate information based upon the premiums they charge depending on where you choose to live. Bottom line, stay 10-20 miles away from shore, east or west. In the Gainesville area it's the least hit spot in the whole state. Hurricanes slow way down when they hit central Florida. I've been through six hurricanes in this state since 1977. The biggest problem was the 10-15 days afterwards waiting for electricity and phone lines to be restored to a reliable status.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 11,785 times
Smile hurricanes in the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
Hi:

To answer your questions, its very unpredictable where a hurricane hits, I have lived here more than 30 years and have only been involved in the Miami Hurricane a few years ago and the three we got in 2004 (ALL OF THESE WHERE ON THE EAST COAST) and thats in 30 years. The West Coast also gets hits, that is where Katrina went and parts of the Panhandle and Jacksonville got hit. Apparently it has to do with the water temperatures, the hotter side gets the hurricanes. At least with a hurricane you get warnings, where you do not with Tornados, Flooding, Ice Storms, etc. I feel very safe in Florida and would never leave her, even if there is a hurricane, unless I really have to go. Hope that helps you
I have since left rhode island to relocate to az. I left the second morning of the second hurricane. let me tell you the monsoon rain that fell the next summer in az was worse than the hurricane that a tractor trailer driver almost killed me. I am now in colorado and within a month relocating again to florida, we are looking to go to citrus springs.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:46 PM

943 posts, read 9,899 times
Regardless of where you live in Florida, it is something you have to deal with, although, the south coastal areas and panhandle seem to be most prone, Gainesville area and Jacksonville seem to be somewhat protected, at least somewhat. I think I would rather deal with huricannes since there is plenty of warning than with a massive earthquake or volcanos erupting like we can get on the west coast, There is no warning with a earthquake and believe me until you have lived thru a major one, there is no describing what they are like.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 AM

7 posts, read 33,909 times
Default Move inland

If you want to live in Florida and still be safe from Hurricanes, the best place to live is inland. You won't be 100% protected but less affected if you live inland away from the coastline. We are still affected by hurricanes but not as badly as those who live on the coastline. If you like a mix of rural living and city life, North central Florida is a great place to live. Places such as Gainesville, Williston, Waldo, Ocala, High Springs, Alachua, and Fort White are a mix of country and city life. We still are affected by hurricanes that come through the Gulf as evident by Floyd, Bonnie, and Charlie. We had a lot of wind damage, (50-75 mph gusts), tree damage, rain (flooding along the Suwanee River) and some low lying subdivisions. People who live along the River banks are most affected and many had to get to and from their homes in boats and canoes until the River receded. Some people were without power for several weeks, some up to a month, and some for only 24 hours.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 24,798 times
Default move inland to Ocala - just visit the beaches

Ocala is a very safe place to live. After 15 years here I know that there is rarely a storm that makes it this far inland with any real strength. Nursing homes in the state are required to have agreements with other nursing homes in the state to evacuate patients to in case of a hurricane. Most of the coastal nursing homes have plans to send patients INLAND to places like Ocala, because they are the safest. The real evidence is the fact that the insurance rates in Ocala are much lower than the coastal areas of the state...they KNOW there is less risk here. Besides cost of living is cheaper, and the beaches are only an hour or so away.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 16,515 times
to the original poster: please, if you are at all concerned about hurricanes and your ability to deal with them, rethink moving to florida. however, if you are intent on moving to the sunshine state, pick a city inland, preferably up the center of the state beginning around the orlando area.

do not think you are "safe" anywhere in florida, however, from a hurricane. florida is a peninsula, to state the obvious, with the warm gulf stream waters on the atlantic side. hurricanes love warm water; it's the land mass that gets in the way and will, depending upon the hurricane, lessen its strength.

i grew up in miami in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s until i moved to north central florida in the mid-80s. one can get a false sense of security about hurricanes when living inland, and you still must take proper precautions if a hurricane approaches. however, i did not feel as vulnerable living in north central florida as i did when living in miami.

i, along with other posters here, would much prefer to prepare for a hurricane, than be hit unexpectedly by a tornado or an earthquake. but also, keep in mind that hurricanes can spawn tornadoes ahead of them - and even north central florida - aside from an approaching hurricane - has its own share of spontaneous tornado activity.

do research on hurricanes and ask yourself if they are something you wish to always have to deal with as a resident of florida. they're not going away; indeed, they predict (as in recent years) that they are more likely to get more intense as the oceans continue to warm.

-----

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM

6,312 posts, read 12,190,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I think I would rather deal with huricannes since there is plenty of warning than with a massive earthquake or volcanos erupting like we can get on the west coast, There is no warning with a earthquake and believe me until you have lived thru a major one, there is no describing what they are like.
Many people that I know that have gone through both hurricanes and earthquakes, all said that they would rather go through an earthquake. Just because there is none of that anticipation or preperation like for a hurricane. And the earthquake is over with in minutes not hours.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:49 PM

8,233 posts, read 7,403,375 times
Default Nobody can predict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Hello, what parts of florida are safer to live in from hurricanes? The east coast or Gulf of Mexico area? Please let me know....We are thinking about visiting and maybe moving there. But really not sure what side is safer from the weather? Thanks !!

I agree that it's impossible to say exactly where a hurricane will cause the most damage, but I believe the Florida Panhandle has suffered the most damage over the past 2 decades. That's not to say Punta Gorda, in Southwest FL, wasn't turned upside down by Charley in 2004. The city was devastated by that Cat 4 storm. My Dad lived in Palm Beach County in 2005 when Wilma hit Florida. He didn't have power for over 2 weeks and blue tarps are still covering many rooftops today.

Tornadoes are also a threat in FL and 19 people were killed earlier in the year in Lake County which is in Central FL so being inland isn't always a guarantee you won't be affected by severe weather.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 9,795,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
I have since left rhode island to relocate to az. I left the second morning of the second hurricane. let me tell you the monsoon rain that fell the next summer in az was worse than the hurricane that a tractor trailer driver almost killed me. I am now in colorado and within a month relocating again to florida, we are looking to go to citrus springs.

I'm lived in Arizona for 19 years and I know those Monsoons when we got them can be violent. Lots of Florida transplants in AZ seem to love it there. I've just moved to Myrtle Beach this Summer and I like it very much. I'm just nervous about Hurricanes and I check this thread frequently.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,652,455 times
For what it's worth... NASA built on the east coast...those darn rockets are expensive to replace. I hope they weren't playing "heads or tails" when they picked the cape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes