U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM

599 posts, read 1,160,207 times

Advertisements

Im on LI,this makes me very worried as this place floods during a thunder and lightning storm.Never been through a hurricane here but the thought freaks me out big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,250,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
thanks for the explanations. I really appreciate it. I was getting a little lost when reading the posts here and now they all make more sense.

Since i live in Staten Island one of the little boroughs of NYC.. do you think I should prepare for this?
Anyone between Charleston, SC and Eastport, ME should be preparing for this in the case it heads your way.

Since we are still about four days out from NYC, what you need to do is get a list of things to do in the case it heads your way such as:

1. Planning to Board windows (do not use tape, it is ineffective) by obtaining materials to do so (you do not necessarily have to put them up yet). Plan to bring any loose outside items inside.

2. Shop for nonperishable and canned food, bottled waters, and disposable household goods. Keep in a closet for safe keeping even if the storm does not end up coming through.

3. If you are on the lower floor of a building in a low-lying area, make sure you have flood insurance and decide how you would protect your belongings on your lower floor in the case your house is flooded.

4. Take note of your nearest evacuation center located outside of low-lying/flood prone areas in case you must leave (usually at least 24 hours prior to the storm arriving)

5. Gather all important documents and place in a tight, waterproof bin for safe keeping.

6. Purchase a disposable camera if you do not already have a camera should you need to take pictures of any damage to your house for the insurance company.

7. In a day or so, fill up your car (if you have one) with gas and conserve it.

8. Consider purchasing a generator if you do not have one already in the case your power is shut off for a while. (If you choose to purchase a generator, make sure to purchase fuel for it as well and to keep it outside while it is running)

That's about all I can think of for now. One problem with NYC is that it would be impossible to evacuate the city, and most people are going to have to shelter in place, with the only ones evacuating to better areas being those in low lying, flood prone areas and unsafe older/poorly constructed buildings.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:32 PM

1,407 posts, read 1,216,178 times
Thanks..You must have read my mind because I was going to ask what i should do to prepare. Where I live people panic and clean out the food stores at the mere hint of bad weather. Even yesterday with our mini earthquake, I went out to buy milk and 4 major grocery stores had empty shelves where the milks were supposed to be. I finally found a lone gallon of milk at a deli so I bought that.

I've got a question though. Our nearest evac center is the local high school.. but that's at a lower elevation than where I live. If I'm prepared with food and water and important things, is there any reason I'd have to go to the evac center?

Another thing that I thought of as far as preparing for this is making sure I have enough gas for the barbeque grill. If we lose electric my gas stove in the house won't turn on. I could turn the burners on if I had matches.. that's another thing on my list, and I want to buy battery operated lamps, camping lamps. We lose electric even when there's a minor storm so I've been meaning to pick them up anyway.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM

I've got another question.. If I purchased a generator just to keep my extra refridgerator that's in my garage running.. what size would I need?
I was just checking the home depot website and they come in so many sizes and prices. I figured I'd buy one, leave it in the box and if Irene misses us or turns out to be a dud, I'll return it.

What kind of fuel do they use?

Last edited by Lauriedeee; 08-24-2011 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM

A few more good tips:

Please also remember to keep batteries for flashlights and an emergency/weather radio if possible. Also be sure to have flashlights and possibly candles (although candles can also be a fire hazard so use them sparingly and carefully).

Charge all cell phones prior to the storm in case power is out and you need to make calls for help, to check in with family, etc. If you have an old land-line phone with a cord (a cordless one will not work without power) in storage, now may be the time to retrieve it. Also charge any other electronics you might want/need during the storm.

In general, be prepared to spend at least two days without help. This is usually not the case and help will often arrive sooner, but it will never hurt to have some extra food or water around the house.

To this point, if you have a cooler it is a good idea to fill it with ice before the storm to keep things cold if the power is out and the refrigerator is not working. This is especially important if you have medications which must be kept cold.

If you have a bathtub, fill it with water immediately before the storm. If damage is bad enough and the water supply is disrupted, you will need it to flush the toilets.

It is also a good idea to have a bottle of purel or other hand sanitizer on hand in case water supply is disrupted.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks..You must have read my mind because I was going to ask what i should do to prepare. Where I live people panic and clean out the food stores at the mere hint of bad weather. Even yesterday with our mini earthquake, I went out to buy milk and 4 major grocery stores had empty shelves where the milks were supposed to be. I finally found a lone gallon of milk at a deli so I bought that.

I've got a question though. Our nearest evac center is the local high school.. but that's at a lower elevation than where I live. If I'm prepared with food and water and important things, is there any reason I'd have to go to the evac center?

Another thing that I thought of as far as preparing for this is making sure I have enough gas for the barbeque grill. If we lose electric my gas stove in the house won't turn on. I could turn the burners on if I had matches.. that's another thing on my list, and I want to buy battery operated lamps, camping lamps. We lose electric even when there's a minor storm so I've been meaning to pick them up anyway.
No problem... as far as your evac question... basically you want to make sure your evacuation center is not in a flood zone. Generally they do a good job of making sure it isn't, but in certain more extreme circumstances, it may still be... and by that I mean one of the once in 150 years type storms (of which it may be if it follows the Euro's projection).

Getting some propane for your gas grill is an excellent idea.

Quote:
I've got another question.. If I purchased a generator just to keep my extra refridgerator that's in my garage running.. what size would I need?
I was just checking the home depot website and they come in so many sizes and prices. I figured I'd buy one, leave it in the box and if Irene misses us or turns out to be a dud, I'll return it.

What kind of fuel do they use?
I'm not terribly familiar with generator specifics... generally they come well documented in terms of what you can use them for... also the people at Home Depot, etc. should be knowledgeable about them. They usually use gasoline, but there are other fuel sources available as well (such as kerosene, natural gas, etc.)

Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks again.. Please keep updating on the storm. I"m not usually a nervous nellie when it comes to storms here, and I normally don't do much to prepare except for getting milk because I know that will be sold out immediately.. but this storm.. I have a really bad feeling about this one.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 PM

14,953 posts, read 8,982,596 times
Hurricane Irene might hit New York as a Category 2 hurricane (not sure if someone has said already as to lazy to look back). 100mph+ winds possible, would be interesting and scary at the same time to see such a strong hurricane strike one of the worlds largest and most important cities and how it copes..

Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM

131,621 posts, read 44,030,577 times
Goodnight Irene.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM

I thought I was ahead of the hurricane game by going to Home Depot tonight to buy a generator just to keep the fridge running in case it hits. Well, evidently everyone else had the same thought. The only generator left was one floor model. I went to Lowes and they were sold out too, so I ended up going back and buying the floor model from Home Depot. Flash lights were scarce too but I managed to get 2 of them.

People are taking this seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes