U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 PM

563 posts, read 422,708 times
It's gonna be a Cat 1 when it hits Long Island (if that). Stop being pu***'s!!!

Sit down in a lawn chair and drink a beer and enjoy mother nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Anyone between Charleston, SC and Eastport, ME should be preparing for this in the case it heads your way.

Since we are still about four days out from NYC, what you need to do is get a list of things to do in the case it heads your way such as:

1. Planning to Board windows (do not use tape, it is ineffective) by obtaining materials to do so (you do not necessarily have to put them up yet). Plan to bring any loose outside items inside.

2. Shop for nonperishable and canned food, bottled waters, and disposable household goods. Keep in a closet for safe keeping even if the storm does not end up coming through.

3. If you are on the lower floor of a building in a low-lying area, make sure you have flood insurance and decide how you would protect your belongings on your lower floor in the case your house is flooded.

4. Take note of your nearest evacuation center located outside of low-lying/flood prone areas in case you must leave (usually at least 24 hours prior to the storm arriving)

5. Gather all important documents and place in a tight, waterproof bin for safe keeping.

6. Purchase a disposable camera if you do not already have a camera should you need to take pictures of any damage to your house for the insurance company.

7. In a day or so, fill up your car (if you have one) with gas and conserve it.

8. Consider purchasing a generator if you do not have one already in the case your power is shut off for a while. (If you choose to purchase a generator, make sure to purchase fuel for it as well and to keep it outside while it is running)

That's about all I can think of for now. One problem with NYC is that it would be impossible to evacuate the city, and most people are going to have to shelter in place, with the only ones evacuating to better areas being those in low lying, flood prone areas and unsafe older/poorly constructed buildings.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Also pay attention to your local emergency management officals and their instructions. Places like the weather channel have sites that give general instructions on emergency preparations.Rememeber that the first responders are under local management control and FEMA works thru contractors that take time to respond to the area. So personally be prepared for three days after any storm as it takes tme to get in a damaged area.If your free to and have relatives you can move inland several days before after boarding up the home. Hopefully it will be mostly a wind event.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 PM

9,929 posts, read 5,145,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Thanks..You must have read my mind because I was going to ask what i should do to prepare. Where I live people panic and clean out the food stores at the mere hint of bad weather. Even yesterday with our mini earthquake, I went out to buy milk and 4 major grocery stores had empty shelves where the milks were supposed to be. I finally found a lone gallon of milk at a deli so I bought that.

I've got a question though. Our nearest evac center is the local high school.. but that's at a lower elevation than where I live. If I'm prepared with food and water and important things, is there any reason I'd have to go to the evac center?

Another thing that I thought of as far as preparing for this is making sure I have enough gas for the barbeque grill. If we lose electric my gas stove in the house won't turn on. I could turn the burners on if I had matches.. that's another thing on my list, and I want to buy battery operated lamps, camping lamps. We lose electric even when there's a minor storm so I've been meaning to pick them up anyway.
Do it. I had the same kind of stove in Miami. Electric was out for a week after Wilma. I was able to light the pilot with a match and cook away. Some people rely on their BBQ grills after a hurricane.

Also, you mentioned that you bought a gallon of milk. Think....if the electricity goes out...your milk goes bad. You want to stock up on items that can be stored in a cupboard at room temp. Eat the stuff in your fridge and freezer now.

I really don't think it's going to be that bad but to make yourself feel better, you can also get some Ziploc bags, fill them 3/4 way with water and stick them in your freezer. Do that today, not the day of the storm.

In Miami, we do that to get ice...which you may or may not need but it's also a great way to keep things in your freezer cold for days. After Wilma, I had stuff in my freezer that was just barely starting to defrost after 3-4 days. Don't keep opening it and the cold will last longer and you can eat, using your matches and gas stove, for a few days. And eat by candlelight.

I also have a wind up radio, I call it my Gilligan radio. They are good to have no matter where you live in case the power goes out. If it's out for a couple of days or more, you're going to come to LOVE that radio because things can get a little dull without it.

Now, if it looks like it's going to be Cat 3 or higher and slam right in to NY, also fill up the bath tub just in case you need water to flush. Fill up your washing machine as well. Make sure you have enough water for you and your pets for no less than a week. (Another good thing about those Ziploc bags, once they melt, you have water!)

Again, you really probably aren't going to have to go through all of this but, just in case and if it makes you feel better to be fully prepared, do it.

Before Wilma, not a lot of people prepared, they blew it off, "pscht, it's nothing", they had grown complacent. It was my first season so I did everything I was supposed to do...and I'm glad I did. My week after Wilma was actually rather pleasant because of my preparations.

Oh and take cash out from an ATM. IF a store opens, they may be running on generator and won't have the card swipe up...you may only be able to pay in cash...so, do that.

And if you need none of these things, like I think you won't...good! But at least you'll know for any other crazy event.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,053,477 times
I read something really interesting on another website. It said to make sure your garden solar lights are well charged and bring them in if the electricity goes off.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM

12,114 posts, read 5,961,915 times
bahamas are taking a serious beating right now

Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 PM

131,636 posts, read 42,753,128 times
I have called that woman every name I can think of and still have not made her mad enough to come and slap me.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I have called that woman every name I can think of and still have not made her mad enough to come and slap me.

she has her eye set on someone else.. you don't want nothing to do with her she's a beach!!!

she wants to go to the big apple for a vacation

if you call her a dud she will hit florida

Last edited by cruxan; 08-24-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,196,255 times
Ch 5 just said expect 100 mph winds in the NYC area

Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 PM

5,396 posts, read 3,755,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
It's gonna be a Cat 1 when it hits Long Island (if that). Stop being pu***'s!!!

Sit down in a lawn chair and drink a beer and enjoy mother nature.
its going to be a Cat 2, and i would not like to be in a lawn chair with 10 ft waves crashing on me in 100mph winds.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
its going to be a Cat 2, and i would not like to be in a lawn chair with 10 ft waves crashing on me in 100mph winds.

she's going to take a bite outa the big apple or at least nibble around the edges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes