U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM

21 posts, read 37,957 times
The insurance rates vary from city to city so it would depend on where you live or are looking to live. I live in
broward county equally distant from miami and ft lauderdale. I am 13 miles west of the beach. 2200 sq ft
3/2 and a half with a pool. Have hurricane shutters. Premium this year is 2500.00 would have been almost 4000 had I not had the shutters installed last year. Flood
is about 300.00 per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 14,818 times
Default Even in paradise the rain must fall

I would rather deal with hurricanes than with earthquakes!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 PM

34 posts, read 69,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Almost every part of the US has some potential for natural disaster. Florida, the rest of the Gulf coast and the entire eastern seaboard has hurricanes, California has mudslides, wildfires, and earthquakes, the Pacific Northwest has earthquakes, tsunami potential and volcanic activity, the entire north and midsection of the country has potential for ice storms, tornado alley is self explainatory....where are you going to run and hide? You have to live your life somewhere, and any place you pick there is potential disaster waiting.

I definitely agree.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,314,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec525 View Post
if hurricanes are so bad, why doesnt everyone leave florida?? why not be proactive?

every other post, someone cannot stand the hurricanes, while others say they been here so long and it is only cat 1 or 2 hurricanes and u will get struck with lighting b4 a hurricane.

so confusion for people tryin to move to warm place.
Risk assessment.

If hurricanes haven't hit your area for 40 years, you begin to feel that you're safe.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 2,392,307 times
Hurricanes didn't hit Martin County for about 65 years. Suddenly we were hit by a one-two punch with Frances and Jeanne. Frances was a massive soaker and went on for almost 4 DAYS. Old trees simply fell over as the root systems got soaked and lost hold. There was massive damage as people had gotten complacent over so much time without a major storm. I was 11 days without power. On well water, that meant I also had no water. I basically camped in the house until power was restored. I had no phone for 6 weeks as the underwater cable in the intracoast waterway was damaged. 3 weeks after Frances, Jeanne came and took out everything that Frances missed. The storm took about 12 hours to pass, I was in my closet the entire time. In a concrete house, leaning against an inner wall, the pressure and sound were identical to being on a jet plane. The CONCRETE house was vibrating. Do not take any storm lightly.

That all being said, the house I bought later is a circa 1934 concrete, 1978 attached wood frame directly in the bullseye of both of those storms and it has only lost a few shingles. The lay of the land and wind direction has alot to do with it.

Like most, I don't fee terribly terrified after those experiences unless its higher than a mid-Cat3. Then you'll see me driving across the state to a pre-arranged safe haven. The key is PRE-ARRANGE. Make a plan for everything, pets, food, important papers ready in a travel container to go. There is nothing like knowing you are ready, when everyone else is standing in line for batteries.

With hurricanes we have the luxury of planning, preparation and forewarning. With other natural dangers there are no such luxuries. That is why we don't "up and leave" at the mere sniff of 105mph winds.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM

12 posts, read 19,292 times
I would rather face a hurricane in a concrete block house thats designed to withstand one, instead of facing tornados in the rest of the country, in a house that 's built of matchsticks, like most of the houses around the resto f the country seem to be.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

11 posts, read 39,403 times
Unlike earthquakes and tornados, the NOAA gives hurricane warnings days in advance. That gives me plenty of time to prepare!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,138,597 times
Now that the rainy season is here, I am really loving the weather. Frankly whatever negatives are brought by the hurricanes, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:08 PM

471 posts, read 701,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Now that the rainy season is here, I am really loving the weather. Frankly whatever negatives are brought by the hurricanes, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

What do you mean by this?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 13,057 times
Default I'm on the Gulf Coast because...

...my wife refuses to leave.

Her family is here and she has been raised to elevate family ties above everything else in life. I find it disconcerting since my family is toxic and I enjoy any space I can put between me and them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes