Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 AM

174 posts, read 172,659 times

Advertisements

Latest GFS does not look good for NJ, NY, CT and DE. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Yes, live in Fl and went through Andrew. Prepare.
Water, batteries, radio, cash and gas. Just in case

Old 10-01-2015, 03:57 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,628,816 times
Thurs 10/1/2015 - 5amEST update: Winds 120mph, moving WSW at 5mph, pressure 948mb.

Strength:

Joaquin finally underwent the expected rapid intensification Wednesday evening and is now a Cat3 hurricane. Further strengthening is expected as conditions are favorable until early Friday. We could see a strong Cat4 hurricane in the next 24 hours. By early Friday the slow movement may cause cooler waters to up-well. Warm waters are hurricane food. Fluctuations in strength are likely as the hurricane undergoes eyewall replacement cycles periodically. It will also start to finally interact with our stirring air currents and start to encounter lite shear and start its turn North sometime Friday which will steadily bring it up over cooler (but still warm) waters then what the Bahamas have to offer it = start of weakening process.

NHC forecast:

Last night model outputs:

Track:
Bahamas sitting right on the edge of a major storm!

We're sadly in a waiting period still I'd say. It may be tomorrow before we have a better handle on where this will go and even then it looks to be a tricky forecast. Models have shifted back to the right (East) some.

We have a problem with the last couple GFS model (one of the main models) runs which doesn't help in the uncertainty of this storms track. It is initializing at a higher pressure then the storm actually is again...last night's run started at 965mb....at 11pm last night the pressure was actually 951mb and dropping. This affects the outcome of where it says Joaquin will go. Last nights ECMWF was off too though and keeps the storm further south, but this model for 3 days straight takes Joaquin out to sea. Too early to say...

We REALLY need model consensus to get a better idea of where / when this will go!!

Joaquin currently moving WSW and should start by late Thursday into Friday a turn (or drift we should say with such slow movement) to the West and then to the WNW as it starts the expected turn.

Expected to pick up forward movement speed and start to head North sometime Friday.

Model guidance overnight has shifted back east some. MUCH uncertainty remains. There is the possibility the storm stays off the US East coast and suddenly swings back in somewhere else along the coast. Residents along the coast should have a plan in place in case this happens. Keep in mind heavy inland rains have already occurred with more on the way which may hinder your plans timing / ability to execute should this occur.

NHC: "Given the large shift in some of the guidance, the NHC track has been adjusted just a little to the east and slower at days 3 through 5, and now lies on the left side of the multi-model consensus and left of the GFS, UKMET and ECMWF solutions. Confidence remains very low in the eventual track of Joaquin and any potential impacts for the United States, and further adjustments to the NHC track may be needed later today."

Special message from the NHC:
"KEY MESSAGES:

1. Preparations to protect life and property in the central Bahamas
should be complete.
The slow motion of Joaquin during the next 24
to 36 hours will bring a prolonged period of hurricane force winds,
storm surge, and very heavy rainfall to those islands.

2. Confidence in the details of the forecast after 72 hours remains
low,
as there have been some large changes in the model guidance
overnight. The range of possible outcomes is still large, and
the possibility of a hurricane landfall in the Carolinas still
cannot be ruled out.

3. Efforts continue to provide the forecast models with as much
data as possible.
The NOAA G-IV jet flew the first in a series of
missions in the storm environment last night, and these missions
will continue today. The National Weather Service also continues to
launch extra balloon soundings.

4. Because landfall, if it occurs, is still more than three days
away, it's too early to talk about specific wind, rain, or surge
impacts from Joaquin in the United States. Regardless of Joaquin's
track, strong onshore winds will create minor to moderate coastal
flooding along the coasts of the mid-Atlantic and northeastern
states through the weekend.

5. A hurricane watch for a portion of the U.S. coast could be
required as early as tonight.

6. Many portions of the eastern U.S. are currently experiencing
heavy rains and gusty winds associated with a frontal system. These
heavy rains are likely to continue for the next few days, even if
the center of Joaquin stays offshore. The resulting inland flood
potential could complicate preparations for Joaquin should it head
toward the coast, and even more substantial inland flooding is
possible if Joaquin later passes near or over these same areas."

Measurements:
How are they monitoring the storm? By flying right into the middle of it! The Hurricane Hunters use multiple aircraft filled with sensors and equipment to monitor the storm and surrounding conditions. They launch dropsonde's out of the plane that take measurements on their way down through the storm and relay that data back to the plane. Some of the planes are now able to transmit live data back to the US during missions that greatly aids in getting the information as quickly as possible so that it can be analyzed and put into the computer models so they can be more accurate. Meet one of the birds helping keeping you safe:

One of many flight plans:

Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedSage58 View Post
Latest GFS does not look good for NJ, NY, CT and DE. Thoughts?
Too early to say other then it's a possibility, just like most of the East coast is a possibility from Carolina's up. Big shift in the models east overnight.

GFS looked to show the Fujiwhara effect if I'm not mistaken, which they hinted at a few days ago. It's where you get two cyclonic vortexes (2 low pressures, one our hurricane, the other...another Low?) spinning around each other rapidly...can sling a storm right in. Would be VERY interesting to see but effects would be bad due to sudden shift of storm path on unsuspecting residents. Not to mention the possibility still it gets picked up by the approaching through across the Eastern US. We just need better models. Hopefully more trends start to emerge sometime today. More model runs due early afternoon. At least we're not having 180 degree split in the models....slowly coming together, but not there yet.

EDIT: I should add if it did make it up there you'd have a weaker storm then it currently is.

Last edited by Psychoma; 10-01-2015 at 04:28 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
BREAKING NEWS:::

Latest GFS now veers East and does not hit the U.S.

I believe the thing became too strong too fast and therefore it is very hard to pull back into the U.S as is.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:08 AM

Hopefully all the F5's refreshing today's midday/early afternoon model run results don't crash it all! Will be very interesting to see what happens....

Old 10-01-2015, 05:14 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,716 times
I'm torn, I love riding out a hurricane but I'm responsible for 3 boats (not mine) right now and really don't want to go through the annoyance of moving them... hope this thing goes OTS

Old 10-01-2015, 05:16 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I live in Arlington, VA and grew up and still have family in Hampton Roads, VA. I am getting supplies ahead of the big rush. I'm not expecting to evacuate yet.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 AM

Another Hurricane Hunter aircraft returning home after a long night in Joaquin:

Old 10-01-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I live in Arlington, VA and grew up and still have family in Hampton Roads, VA. I am getting supplies ahead of the big rush. I'm not expecting to evacuate yet.
I was in Hampton Roads for Isabel. They remember it well there still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes