Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,777,225 times

Advertisements

I set rain gauge on this link for past two days

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/#main

Many places had over 20 inches already especially around Houston.

It was kind of hard to work the river guages. You first turn them on and then click map for them to show.

Several rivers in Houston showed they overflowed their banks.

This is going to be costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have long time friend of our daughter in Houston north of Braes Bayou, off Chimney Rock
She posted pix of her street on FB...water well into yards and she said was at her front door about 40 min ago...
Tried to get them to evac yesterday about 5 but the water in the bayou had gone down since earlier in the day (because rain has lessened of course)...and I am sure she thought I was overly pessimistic...told her story of my dad being flooding in '98--
They decided to stay...one story house...two kids and two dogs...
Now they can't get out...
That is the story of flooding all too often...

Page on FB of Harvey postings from all over...
Initial about the immediate Gulf coast impact area
Now posts in Houston area of people being flooded and needing rescue...

This event won't make any climate change deniers like Trump believers, but just compare this disaster with the part of the trailer for Gore's new film about climate change when there is the reference to the 9-11 site being predicted to flood if there was monster storm...people said that is SO Fake...but it happened w/Sandy...
These storms can't be stopped...so,they are likely to repeat at some point...and be worse...
I found a guage for Braes Bayou. I hope they are now on their roof.

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/n...ate=2017-08-27

You can see when the water went down. It has since risen 15 feet above the high they saw before.

According to the instrument it is pegged at maximum and may have gone 15 feet above the peak they saw.

The only good thing is rain seems to have stopped in much of the area about 45 minutes ago. This is not to say it won't start again.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlantic - Harvey forms August 17, 2017-usgs.08075000.140467.00065..20170824.20170827..0..png  

Last edited by pbmaise; 08-27-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Just heard from my friend in Katy. Both ends of her street are flooded so she's basically trapped. They still have power though. OMG I am worried about her.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 AM

7,252 posts, read 4,565,979 times
Looks like these heavy small bands will continue to develop today:
Attachment 189516

And HRRR model (one of several different models out there), showing 6aCDT to midnight tonight possible additional rain totals, can kind of see the spiral band traces in the totals **keep in mind exact locations can shift a little**
Attachment 189517

Last edited by Psychoma; 08-25-2020 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 AM

I thought I read that the reservoirs were in good shape.

Certainly NOT based on looking at Houston Lake.

It has already risen 4 feet and only can rise 10 more feet before it hits maximum level.

That means if rains keep up that all the water currently going into Lake Houston (San Jacinto River Basin) will have to be released, unless they exceed the rated level of the dam.

See: https://waterdatafortexas.org/reserv...vidual/houston

What kind of idiots are running things in Texas!!!!

I just looked at watershed for Houston Lake. 445 square miles is controlled by another dam called Conroe.

Well guess what! It is already full.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...ases-beginning

Water is being released from Conroe dam and now Houston Lake is filling much faster than it should if officials really had lowered levels in advance of the storm.

Hello!

Last edited by pbmaise; 08-27-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,931,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have long time friend of our daughter in Houston north of Braes Bayou, off Chimney Rock
She posted pix of her street on FB...water well into yards and she said was at her front door about 40 min ago...
Tried to get them to evac yesterday about 5 but the water in the bayou had gone down since earlier in the day (because rain has lessened of course)...and I am sure she thought I was overly pessimistic...told her story of my dad being flooding in '98--
They decided to stay...one story house...two kids and two dogs...
Now they can't get out...
That is the story of flooding all too often...

Page on FB of Harvey postings from all over...
Initial about the immediate Gulf coast impact area
Now posts in Houston area of people being flooded and needing rescue...

This event won't make any climate change deniers like Trump believers, but just compare this disaster with the part of the trailer for Gore's new film about climate change when there is the reference to the 9-11 site being predicted to flood if there was monster storm...people said that is SO Fake...but it happened w/Sandy...
These storms can't be stopped...so,they are likely to repeat at some point...and be worse...
This is literally a perfect scenario of a upper level high stalling which is then making Harvey stationery. Not sure how much this has to do with climate change (which is a natural occurence our Earth goes through). I'd bet something similar happened a couple times before these areas werw populated and hurricane history was recorded. These storms cant and will never be stopped.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
That same situation is what cause my father and his wife to be caught in 98 when torrential rains in Hill Country flooded through the Guadalupe and San Marcos Rivers
The GVRA that controls the dams did not release waters soon enough...trying to protect some ritzy homes from flooding was always what the locals claimed...they they had to do it to keep dams from damage...
They released at night...little to no advance warning
My stepmother's house was on high bank of the Guadalupe south of Seguin...
30 ft or more higher than the river and the single story house was totally flooded...
She just walked away...at her age could not stand the idea of repairing the damage...
Sold for basically lot's value I guess but she owned the house so no mortgage issue...but they never bought flood ins because the river was so far below the bank it really had never gotten that high in the 20+ yrs she lived there...

MOST people in Houston likely have NO flood insurance if they technically live above flood plain...
This flooding is worse than 100 yr flood plain I imagine...
So most people won't get flood damage reimbursed...
Yet their mortgage will continue even if home is uninhabitable...

Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
This is literally a perfect scenario of a upper level high stalling which is then making Harvey stationery. Not sure how much this has to do with climate change (which is a natural occurence our Earth goes through). I'd bet something similar happened a couple times before these areas werw populated and hurricane history was recorded. These storms cant and will never be stopped.
Just listening to AM Joy and Houston story said that Harvey did stall last night/early AM and was not moving...
Just raining...
Like having your fridge's water line leak and you aren't home
Imagine that damage...

Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Perhaps so, however, we really have to accept this is the new normal.

This is not some 100 year flood. Rather it is a flood Houston should expect every few years.

Hence all the homes being flooded now must be rebuilt higher up on posts.

I now see the Conroe dam. It is North of Conroe.

The drainage area into Lake Houston is huge.

There is a guage you can see on the reservoir level and it suddenly started on a much faster line upward. I think this was when Conroe began spilling water 8 hours ago.

It has started raining in Houston again and forecast is rain till Thursday.

Conroe was only 6 inches from maximum level when Harvey began.

Again I read reports claiming the reservoirs were down. Didn't anyone look at forecast?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Is next on Harvey's list New Orleans?

It looks like it is clear for now in the City itself.

However, it looks like some of Harvey's rains are beginning to fall into the Mississippi's watershed.

I doubt that enough is left in Harvey to overwhelm the banks of the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes