Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 08:51 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1505053539

Anyone remember this from last Tuesday?

This was before everyone started following 'the cool kids' and shifted their forecasts to the east.
Absolutely. I have heard mutters of criticism. In reality forecasting has been exceptional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:56 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I'm watching CNN live reporting. They said on air that all structures on Key West are now underwater. I hope that is rumor/hyperbole as I have not found any confirmation of that on the web or other stations.

I have my doubts as the National Weather Service station in Key West just reported in with windgust measurements.
There's the 7 story La Concha (85 feet tall) on Duval Street and that is underwater ?

Exaggeration is one of the reasons I avoid station newscasting and just stick to reading NOAA reports and posts in this forum.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I'm watching CNN live reporting. They said on air that all structures on Key West are now underwater. I hope that is rumor/hyperbole as I have not found any confirmation of that on the web or other stations.

I have my doubts as the National Weather Service station in Key West just reported in with windgust measurements.
As an old oceanography meteorology guy, I have been way too absorbed by this storm. I had just taken a break on the porch, and I saw this CNN bit. Just can't sit in a porch swing with that kind of stuff being broadcast.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1505053539

Anyone remember this from last Tuesday?

This was before everyone started following 'the cool kids' and shifted their forecasts to the east.
NHC also shifted their forecast east to reflect what the models were showing, then back west again. Really not sure what point you think you're making.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Yes, offshore winds pushing water off the coast in several places....but what goes out....comes back in AFTER the storm center passes.
Rick Scott reiterated this point telling people just because the winds die down after the storm, doesn't mean it's safe to go outside.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:03 AM
LLN

OK. Psychoma and Cambium have been awesome. Thank you for sharing your expertise and time. Well done.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Euro slight west shift again..maybe no landfall until panhandle now. It will be so close that any wobble east and it will be landfall but the west coast is on the worst side of the eye

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/906760276229443584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You know what the craziest thing about evacuating is? Not being able to get back into your home area if there was major damage around, even after the storm is done. Think about that. So some of these folks who evacuated may need to spend all week where they are until clean up crews clears every branch, tree, debris from the road. Then you have the flooded streets thing. It's a sick feeling knowing the Hurricane is done but you can't get home.

No idea where you are but hope it doesn't get too bad there.

The idea of being close enough to be "safe" and yet able to return to check on condition of our houses was big factor in our daughter and husband in not trying to get "away" Saturday morning when she did kind of panic.
Although I think they are in denial about the level of damage that might remain after Irma has moved out of area. They think she will be gone Monday and they can go home to assess damage--even move back even if power out.
but it ain't over til the fat lady sings as saying goes.
Just no direct hit at Sarasota is my hope...

Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
Jeff Piotrowski (storm chaser) livestreaming from Marco Island.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski

Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Total power outages as of 10aEST Sunday 10 September 2017 (source: power companies) (some of these will be storm related, others will be every day variety mixed in): Note: crews will go and attempt to restore power until winds reach a certain limit, then you wait. The "area" comment after some listings is just to give people an idea where each county/general area is since most people know bigger city locations better and does not mean those specific cities are without power, just somewhere in that general area). (Up)(down) comments signify number of outages went up/down from my last update (last was 9a Sun).

FL:
West Coast:
-Monroe Co (Everglades): 90(All customers)
-Collier Co (Everglades City,Naples,Marco Island area): 25,610(up)
-Hendry Co (LaBelle,Felda,Clewiston area): -restored-
-Lee Co (Ft Myers,Cape Cora,Bonita Springs area): 1,820(up)
-Charlotte Co (Punta Gorda area): 1,510(up)
-De Soto Co (Arcadia area): 140(up)
-Highlands Co (Sebring,Placid Lakes,Lorida area): 532(up)
-Sarasota Co (Sarasota,North Port,Venice area): 410(up)
-Manatee Co (Myakka City,Bradenton area): 70
-Lakeland to Dade City area: 5(up)
-Tampa area: 1,196(up)
-St. Petersburg area: 499(down)
-New Port Richey area: 58(up)
-Ocala/Gainesville area: 189(up)
-Alachua area: 229(up)
-Suwannee Co (Live Oak,McAlpin area): -restored-
-Columbia Co (Lake City area): -restored-

Panhandle:
-Mayo area: 16(up)
-Wakulla area: -restored-
-Apalachicola area: 14(up)

East Coast:
-Miami-Dade Co (Miami,Kendall,Homestead area): 657,320(up)
-Broward Co. (Hollywood,Fort Lauderdale,Pomparo Beach area): 418,870(up)
-Palm Beach Co. (Boca Raton,West Palm Beach area): 177,900(up)
-Martin Co. (Indiantown area): 4,420(up)
-St Lucie Co. (Fort Pierce,Port St Lucie area): 9,050(up)
-Okeechobee Co.: 170(up)
-Indian River Co (Vero Beach,Sebastian area): 1,160(up)
-Brevard Co (Titusville,Melbourne area): 3,590(up)
-Seminole Co (NE corner of Orlando, Sanford, Geneva area): 205(up)
-Orlando/Kissimmee area: 1
-Volusia Co (Daytona Beach,Deltona area): 30(down)
-Flagler Co (Palm Coast area): 30(up)
-St Johns Co (St. Augustine,Crescent Beach area): 3,170(up)
-Putnam Co (Palatka area): 10(down)
-Nassau Co (just north of Jacksonville,Callahan area): 110(down)
-Baker Co (Macclenny,Sanderson area): 130(up)
-Bradford Co (Starke area): 140(up)
-Union Co (Lake Butler, Raiford area): 30(up)

GA:
-Brunswick area: 15(up)
-Jesup area: -restored-
-Savannah area: 64(down)
-Lyons area: -restored-
-Albany area: 325(up)
-Bainbridge area: 571(up)
-Augusta area: 10(down)
-Macon area: 1,023(up)
-Columbus: 85(up)
-Atlanta area: 979(up)
-Athens area: 258(up)
-Gainesville: 39(up)
-Toccoa/Clayton area: 153(up)
-Rome area: 283(up)

SC:
-Beaufort area: -restored-
-Charleston area: <20
-Walterboro area: <20(up)

Alabama:
-Don't have access to right now-

Old 09-10-2017, 09:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
As an old oceanography meteorology guy, I have been way too absorbed by this storm. I had just taken a break on the porch, and I saw this CNN bit. Just can't sit in a porch swing with that kind of stuff being broadcast.
I guess satellite imagery will show the truth if someone has access and will share
Saw the CNN interview Fri or Sat w/the guy who moved there and bought sailboat to live on. He was refusing to leave, claiming his advice came from the people who lived there and had "been through" other hurticanes.
The CNN guy pressed him pretty hard about the rationality (or lack thereof) of staying IN a boat in a sea level marina after seeing all the damage from the Carribbean islands. But the guy was obdurate that he was staying, was too independent, and basically was willing to bet the lives of him and his wife rather than (my interpretation of his attitude) turn tail and run....

The reporter asked if he would be willing to be interviewed after Irma's visit was over and of course the "sailor" said yes... From what I understood about boat owners' options his likely best choice would have been to have taken his boat out and sailed south of Cuba as far as he could and fine a decent harbor. But I think he was a wanna-be sailor w/o any extensive sailing/ocean experience. A true sailor knows the power and capriciousness of Nature and Ocean better than most landlubbers IMO.
But I definitely want to see the re-interview...hope they made it but odds against if they really stayed on boat I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes