U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 55,794 times
Default hurricanes Destin Florida

Can anyone tell me is Destin has a lot of hurricane activity? Does the Panhandle see more hurricanes than other parts of Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 04:27 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,264,834 times
Hope this helps you out.

Hurricane Hotspots
The Worst Places for Hurricanes
From source: Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

By now, everyone knows that the last two hurricane seasons have been particularly severe. Severe yes, but compared to what?

Hurricane experts are saying we had just grown accustomed to a level of hurricane activity that had been unnaturally low, with relatively few major hurricanes hitting Florida and the East Coast of the United States in the last 30 years. Now they say the pendulum may be swinging in the other direction, bringing a greater than normal number of major storms.

According to the hurricane forecasters, we should be prepared for increased major hurricane activity over the next two or three decades. This year’s hurricane season is not yet over, but it’s already the most costly on record.

So, should you cancel that Florida vacation, or re-think your retirement plans? By analyzing the tracks of tropical storms for the past 100 years, the experts at Sperling’s BestPlaces have ranked which areas are most likely to be hit next by a major hurricane.

1. Southeast Florida (Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach)
2. Key West and the Florida keys
3. Southwest Florida (Fort Myers-Naples)
4. West Florida (Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota-Clearwater)
5. Outer Banks islands, NC (Cape Hatteras)
6. Central Texas Gulf coast (Galveston)
7. Central Florida Atlantic coast (Melbourne-Cocoa Beach)
8. Florida Panhandle (Pensacola-Panama City)
9. Central Gulf coast (New Orleans, LA-Biloxi, MS-Mobile, AL)
10. South Texas Gulf coast (Corpus Christi-Brownsville)

Does this mean newcomers are likely to avoid these hurricane-prone areas? Research expert Bert Sperling says recent hurricane activity is having an impact. "In spite of a devastating 2004 season, coastal areas still had tremendous appeal. But this year's new wave of hurricane activity has caused some people to have second thoughts. If the hurricane activity continues at this pace, it will have a significant impact on where people choose to live or if they will rebuild in the same location."

Our list focuses on coastal areas, where the effects of a hurricane can be most catastrophic. In addition to the devastation caused by high winds of 200 mph or more, the ocean itself may be driven inland by the winds, creating a "storm surge", a wall of water up to 20 feet high.

1) Southeast Florida
This area includes the major cities of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach. Forecasters estimate that once every ten years, it will be visited by a hurricane of a Category 3 or greater (winds over 111 miles per hour). The most recent such hurricane was Andrew in 1992, a Category 5 monster, so Miami is several years overdue for a major hit. Hurricane Jeanne hit the area as a Category 2 storm in 2004.

2) The Florida Keys
The town of Key West is at the end of this island chain off the southern tip of Florida. It is exposed on all sides to passing hurricanes. It was last hit by a Category 1 hurricane in 1999 and a Category 2 storm in 1998, and narrowly escaped a direct hit by Hurricane Rita in 2005.

3) Southwest Florida
Florida’s southern Gulf coast is home to the metro areas of Fort Myers and Naples. In 2004, a Category 4 hurricane named Charley slammed ashore a few miles north of Fort Myers.

4) West Florida
Tampa was most recently hit in 2004 by hurricane Frances after it crossed over the state of Florida. Though diminished in intensity after its journey over land, Frances still packed high winds and heavy rainfall. The Tampa area includes the cities of St. Petersburg, Sarasota, and Clearwater.

5) Outer Banks islands, NC
This sparsely inhabited area sticks out into the Gulf Stream, creating an area of frequent landfall for hurricanes sweeping up the Atlantic coast.

6) Central Texas - Gulf coast
The island city of Galveston has been the site of some of the most catastrophic hurricanes in the last century. It was last hit by a hurricane in 1989, but tropical storm Allison delivered extremely heavy rainfall to the area in 2001, including Houston inland.

7) Central Florida – Atlantic coast
The hurricane threat diminishes north of the Miami area, in the cities of Melbourne, Cocoa Beach, and Cape Canaveral. Hurricane Frances made landfall here in 2004 as a Category 2 storm.

8) Florida Panhandle
In 2004, hurricane Ivan slammed into the area with Category 3 force. The metro areas of Pensacola and Panama City were hit hard in 1995 by hurricane Opal, which packed winds of 125 mph.

9) Central Gulf coast
We will all remember the name of Hurricane Katrina, the Category 4 storm that destroyed much of New Orleans and Gulfport, Mississippi. The Central Gulf Coast, including the major cities of New Orleans (LA), Biloxi (MS) and Mobile (AL), is vulnerable to another major hurricane. In 1969, Camille devastated the area as one of only three Category 5 hurricanes to strike the U.S. mainland. In 2004, Ivan narrowly missed Mobile as a Category 3 storm, and Ivan made landfall at Gulf Shores, Alabama.

10) South Texas – Gulf coast
This region was last hit in 1999 by Bret, a rare Category 4 hurricane. Fortunately, Bret struck in a sparsely populated area between Corpus Christi and Brownsville. This region has avoided a catastrophic hurricane in recent years.

Hurricanes can hit anywhere along the Gulf Coast and Atlantic seaboard. Other hotspots include (in order of decreasing probability) Jacksonville, FL, Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, Wilmington, NC, Norfolk, VA, and even Providence, RI. See also: the likelihood of hurricanes in New England, Hawaii, and California.

Between 1965 and 2004 (nearly 40 years), the Florida peninsula had only one major hurricane that made landfall (hurricane Andrew in 1992). The normal long-term probability of an intense hurricane hitting somewhere in Florida or on the East Coast is about once every three years. The odds are slightly better for the Gulf Coast, from the Florida Panhandle through the Texas coast.

If hurricane frequency increases to normally active levels, residents of Southern coastal areas will need to prepare the new onslaught. Sperling suggests, “Minimize your risk by doing your homework before you move. Use care to research the location of your new home, and how it is constructed. A little work now may save your home and possessions, and your lives.” See also: our tips for hurricane preparedness.
Sources

We analyzed tracks of tropical storms from the National Hurricane Center, which is part of the Tropical Prediction Center at the National Weather Center. We consulted hurricane predictions which were jointly developed by scientists from the NOAA Climate Prediction Center, the Hurricane Research Center, and the National Hurricane Center. We also found the “United States Landfalling Hurricane Probability Project” very informative, developed by Dr. William Gray’s Tropical Meteorology Research Project at Colorado State University.

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:22 AM..

Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 PM

545 posts, read 1,218,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbug View Post
Can anyone tell me is Destin has a lot of hurricane activity? Does the Panhandle see more hurricanes than other parts of Florida?
REPLY: Are you considering moving to the Destin area ? I am thinking of it seriously. If not Destin, then a few miles inland to Niceville, Fl. in order to get greater value in a home for less money. Does anyone have experience with Niceville area ? Crime rate is low and population is only 12 k. My kind of sleepy little town, yet close to the nice beaches and shopping in Destin. Any info appreciated.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 41,079 times
Default Destin Hurricanes and Niceville Area

Hey,

Just thought I'd give each of you a run down on your questions about the Niceville,Florida area as well as the Destin Area.
Yes,you are correct,Niceville is just off from Destin maybe 10 minutes if you sneeze...
It's a very nice area,as far as pricing and demographics are concern,much low priced housing than Destin.
I'm alittle further up the road in what is referred to as Mossy Head close to Crestview,Florida. The housing here is very very low for the area and is very quite away from all the busy streets of "TOURIST" area.
Destin is a very "happening" place... the run down goes like this for the most part... Jan-May pretty normal everyday living with a little here and there partying from locals and the occasional vistor. May-Sept(Memorial Day-Labor Day) to be exact it is "TOURIST TOWN CENTRAL" Hwy 98 is one of the main roads to Destin and if your not in a rush great to travel,but during this time of the season,you avoid it! Great for the economy yes,pain in the tail for the locals attempting to get home kinda thing ya know...
What normally takes maybe an hour to travel could in fact take up to 2 1/2 sometimes 3 hours depending on where your going. From Sept-Dec you get the Candians then what we call the snowbirds. They are pretty much too themselves,usually older retired couples coming down for the winter months from up north.
Hurricanes in the area...my first experience was the year Katrina hit. So that is a little info there,nothing really since then and that was what 3 years ago. And we didn't actually get anything from Katrina other than a little wind and rain. The biggest advice I can share with you both is this...and you sincerely need to listen when you hear this... If your here and someone says a hurricane is possible for this area...regardless if you see if believe it or not STOP WHAT YOUR DOING AND GO GET GASOLINE!! Guys,this can't be stressed enough...when Katrina was mentioned,my boss at that time advised me to go fill up. I said ok,I was scared to death I was going to be fired when I got back to the store cause it took me 3 hrs to get gas and the hurricane was just talk at that time. You will see people fighting over who is next in line. Trust me guys,when the word is out,GO GET GAS!
I know this is alot of stuff,but I hope it helps a little.
The bottom line answer to both is this... No hurricanes in my 3 years here,and if I had to choose a place,Nicevlle would be on my list. BUT be careful where you choose to live. There is a bay between Niceville and Destin that can and will have effects on housing if a hurricane comes through. You hear anything about MIDBAY BRIDGE don't buy. You're gonna be on the water and it is also a $2.50 toll bridge.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Hey, good info. Many thanks. So, how far are you from Niceville ? I suppose i can look it up on a Map. Id be interested to know if there are must see/must do things in that area ? Are Classic Car get togethers/shows a popular thing ? What about activities overall ? Parks, bike trails, rivers , etc ??? Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Events - City of Crestview, Florida Just noticed the Classic Car Show in April ! Ya-hoo !

Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 41,079 times
Default Destin/Niceville

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
Hey, good info. Many thanks. So, how far are you from Niceville ? I suppose i can look it up on a Map. Id be interested to know if there are must see/must do things in that area ? Are Classic Car get togethers/shows a popular thing ? What about activities overall ? Parks, bike trails, rivers , etc ??? Thanks again.
Well,honestly that depends on a few things...There is ALWAYS SOMETHING happening here. There are the Antique Car Shows throughout the year,many many many festivals to attend,and alot of "Annual" Events that happen as well. When your doing a search on the areas or whatnot,the towns to look for thats within a skip and jump driving is Fort Walton Beach,Destin,Crestview,Freeport,Niceville. When you start looking at Panama City or Pensacola,your looking at about an hour or so drive. If you happen to ride or enjoy motorcycles,this is the place for it! There is always a ride somewhere around and boy do they come out for them. One of the big things with the bikes,is every year just about each town joins together with another and have what is called a "TOYS FOR TOTS" ride,which is normally in late fall Thanksgiving/Christmas time. That is amazing to see...Imagine 1000 bikes riding in uniform style down the road to deliver a truck sometimes,semi full of toys for children. It's Amazing!
Your also be surrounded by military.We have the worlds largest I believe it is Air Force Base about 10-15 minutes down from Niceville. They have an air museum that is pretty cool to go through if your into all the planes,choppers etc that have been in the wars. Hope this gives ya an idea of what happens around here. If you'd like,go to the following website and it will let ya know more about the area and its surrounding towns as well. There I believe is a place on the page you can click events or on specific towns and it gives you a listing of the annual events that happen each year.
EmeraldCoast.com: Navigate Florida's Emerald Coast!
Hope this helps...
B

Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Ok, will look at the site. Glad to hear theres alot of activities going on in the area. Regards.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 24,659 times
We lived in DeBary, FL for a while and looking to relocate back to Florida but want closer to the west coast beaches but trying to stay out of the heavily spring break/snow bird areas. We also have two kids - 8 and 10 that need good schools - how would you rank the Niceville area as far as schools etc.?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM

16 posts, read 57,102 times
Having lived in Niceville most of my life I will tell you it is different than Destin or Ft.Walton(I am a real Floridian not a Yankee transplant or Military folk). Niceville has retained alot more of the original Florida(southern) culture than Destin or Ft.walton have. There are areas in town that are heavily poupulated by transplants and the military(Bluewater,Dana Point,Rocky Bayou Estates). As for our education our county has ranked highest in the state several years. Niceville High School has ranked in the top thousand high schools in the nation in a few different sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes