Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Originally Posted by trlhiker
Like every year, I do nothing until it is forecasted to hit my area 3 to 4 days out..

But I'd push that out more. I like to prepare at least 7 days out but not do anything until 3-4 days
That doesn't work in the Houston area. Evacuations are happening 3 - 4 days out with hotels booked up. Roads are a mess because everyone wants to leave. Gas running low. People going mad stocking up on groceries. The last thing to do is run around last minute and expect to be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
Although I live about 150 miles inland - as the crow flies - most folks here are assuming that we may lose power for an extended length of time due to Hurricane Florence and that there will be flooding as well as downed trees. Since this is a rural area we know that it can take some time for the power company and VDOT to restore things so many will be prepared to get out there with chain saws to open up passageways on the many narrow, unpaved roads that could become blocked by downed trees.

Those without whole house generators are making sure that they have plenty of water containers filled since our wells won't pump without power. Need enough to flush toilets as well as for drinking, cooking and cleaning.

I'll be working to make sure that there are NO objects that can picked up by the wind and will stuffing the equipment shed and garage with anything that might go flying.

Unlike with winter storms at least we don't have to worry about trying to heat our homes too.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,494,472 times
https://www.facebook.com/fox46charlo...1430888618631/

:O

Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,634 times
Stay stocked up on gas prior. Last year after Irma, there was no gas for several days. When the supply of it finally arrived, the lines to get gas were miles long and traffic was being directed by cops. People waited hours for gasoline, no thanks. With my car, I always keep my gas tank no less than 3 quarters full to make sure I can leave and not have to stop for gas if an emergency ever arises. Often times after a hurricane, many gas stations have been damaged or are still without power so people congregate wherever gas is closest and available. In Florida, gas stations are required to have plugs for generator outlet but not necessarily required to have a generator hooked up nor even required to have a generator at all. Also despite being against the law in FL, price gauging still occurs.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 PM

7,490 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Hoping for a lighter than average for the upcoming season.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:43 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,625,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Hoping for a lighter than average for the upcoming season.
We shall see! Hurricane Center releases their thoughts on the upcoming season towards end of May. The Pacific waters are near around weak ‘El Nino’ status (warmer waters) currently which actually affects the Atlantic in that El Nino hinders Atlantic hurricanes. But if that goes away an averge season may be likely.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:52 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Hope i get a shot at some action before Dec gets here. Maybe a boil up south of Cuba in about 9 days or so can come up my way and at least bring rain. Once we get into mid Nov you gotta watch the area in the stair steps 600 to 900 miles SSW of Cuba. I just never get much action no matter what year it is.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:44 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet799 View Post
Many people do not pay attention to their cars during terrible weather, but the thing is: in case you have to evacuate, it is exactly what you need.
Make sure to prepare your vehicle and research all you need to know about driving in terrible conditions.
Go shopping today for emergency supplies. Store them in your trunk! Include a kit for first aid non-perishable food, bottled water, and maintenance medications.
Plan the route you will use if you have to evacuate. Where would be the safest destination for your family?
You needed to revive all these old threads to say generic things like this ^^^?

Sorry, I'm being grumpy, but I wish people would check dates before reviving zombie threads. You seem to have revived a bunch of long-dead threads. Maybe you could start a new one on something you're interested in?

Old 06-07-2023, 01:44 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
I AM reviving this old thread since it is still at the top of the board and available.
Hoping someone does have an answer, even if somewhat speculative.
I am on the Gulf side of Florida. I've read a bit here, about the strength of winds depending on the quadrant of a storm ,not that it's all sunk in.
Question is.........
Do hurricanes generally rotate in the same direction/manner?
My house faces south. Is there any way of telling which side of the house is most likely to encounter the strongest winds?
During Irma most of the worst seems to have come from the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes