Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,504,880 times

Advertisements

I forgot one of my favorite ones that we learned during......forget which ones....
you can use your washing machine as a cooler!!! the ice stays ok and you don't have to worry about draining it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 PM

561 posts, read 1,509,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
On another thought about hurricanes and power outages. I would think that a lot of the same type preps used for winter storms and power outages would apply for hurricanes too. I'm more concerned about the possible lose of power once I get move to the midwest or ozark region than I am of the hurricanes threats here in FL now. Hurricanes can be so devasting that the threat of one needs to be heeded and taken seriously even if it is thought to be a minimal cat 1. Seems like some folks in S FL learned that the hard way a couple of years ago. I think she was named Wilma. Not sure though.

With you there, Nomadicus. We're now in an area that get ice storms. Having lived in Fla and gone through several hurricanes, we built our home to be self-sufficient during an ice storm. We had a generator transfer switch put in that allows our generator to run most items in the home, including lights and appliances (but not washer/dryer). We can even run our on-demand water heater, so we'll enjoy hot showers! We put in an extremely efficient wood stove that can keep the house heated. Come winter, we make sure we have plenty of food on hand. The last significant ice storm in these parts caused a 3-week power outage in our area, plus with the snow fall, you couldn't leave even if you wanted to. To say the least, we believe in prepare, prepare, prepare!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:12 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Will a gas stove work? Forgive my ignorance, but I really have no hurricane experience and want to get educated
before I move to Florida. Thanks!
If you have a gas kitchen stove, it will work perfectly after a storm. Without a generator it can be harder on someone. A generator is a must have. If you have a good sized generator (get a quite one if you can) you should also buy a small air conditioner that roles around or one of those small window mounted ones to put in the room that you will sleep.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,650,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
If you have a gas kitchen stove, it will work perfectly after a storm. Without a generator it can be harder on someone. A generator is a must have. If you have a good sized generator (get a quite one if you can) you should also buy a small air conditioner that roles around or one of those small window mounted ones to put in the room that you will sleep.
Thank you! The house we're buying has a gas stove and my first impulse was to get rid of it and buy a smooth top electric stove since they're easier to clean and that's what I'm used to cooking on. Then it occurred to me that perhaps there was a reason for the gas stove. Now I know the reason.

You guys have convinced me that a generator is a must have item in Florida. Now I need to get educated on generators. How can you tell if generators are quiet or not? Is there some kind of generator decibel level rating scale or something?

A portable air conditioner is another great idea. I am learning so much and I have so much more to learn. I really appreciate your words of experience and wisdom!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times
A place to start looking at generators.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=home

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-11-2008 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Wrong link

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM

658 posts, read 828,187 times
If temporary power is all you need, like a few days, spend $2,000 and get a generator and 50 gallons of gas.

If a permanent solution is what you need, spend $6,000 and set up alternative energy on your stream or inlet.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:41 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Thank you! The house we're buying has a gas stove and my first impulse was to get rid of it and buy a smooth top electric stove since they're easier to clean and that's what I'm used to cooking on. Then it occurred to me that perhaps there was a reason for the gas stove. Now I know the reason.

You guys have convinced me that a generator is a must have item in Florida. Now I need to get educated on generators. How can you tell if generators are quiet or not? Is there some kind of generator decibel level rating scale or something?

A portable air conditioner is another great idea. I am learning so much and I have so much more to learn. I really appreciate your words of experience and wisdom!
Yep keep that gas stove or get a new one don't put an electric one in. After Andrew (Cat 5 hurricane) my mom was still cooking regular meals with the gas stove.

The Honda portable red generators (3k I believe) are quite but worth that extra money than the cheap ones that are so loud. Any of the generators that RV'ers use have to be quiet, so ask a RV'er too. If you want to invest some money there are generators that will run most of your house, they start at like 10k I believe.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
If temporary power is all you need, like a few days, spend $2,000 and get a generator and 50 gallons of gas.

If a permanent solution is what you need, spend $6,000 and set up alternative energy on your stream or inlet.
I purchased a generator after Ivan and for under $1K you can get a large generator. Two years of surplus has aided in reducing the price. Honda has the best product in town...

Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Honda has some that are inverters meaning that electronics can run off the power they produce. Just an added bonus to go with the low decibel ratings.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM

I didn't see anyone mention owning a chainsaw? Well they are worth a lot more than the purchase price if you can clean up the mess of downed trees if you have them that can fall on your property. If not physically challenged to use one they can save a bundle on clean up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes