Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times

Advertisements

It's time to make a decision about our windows. We live about 22 miles inland from Fort Lauderdale.

I would like to get opinions from those of you who chose to

A. replace your windows with hurricane impact windows or
B. replace with regular windows + shutters (by code you can not have one without the other unless you do it yourself).
C. Or perhaps you are thinking about having this done.

I was told the price is just about the same if you go either A or B.

Yes, I know this is expensive. We got quotes for impact windows that ranged from $29,000 - 46,000. That's quite a range.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 07:09 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
I'm also looking in to the same:

Does your insurance give you a discount?

How old is your home?

How many more codes you have to deal with?

I'm leaning more to replace with regular windows + shutters. We don't have the same codes (I think), so is a bit less expensive here. Due to the amount of Pine trees and those deadly pine cones I like better the shutters.

The cost is very expensive, so I'm looking a manufacture rebates and any other effort to maximize my money...

Old 01-28-2007, 08:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
I would say go with the new windows + shutters.

Why would you want to let something hit the new windows, even if it makes just a cratch, the scratch may be right in the view, and you are going to have to replace it then. If you have the shutters the object hits that shutter instead. Most likely saving the windows.

The only place I would use the hurricane impact windows would be for high windows that you couldn't shutter easily for some reason.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:22 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I would say go with the new windows + shutters.

Why would you want to let something hit the new windows, even if it makes just a cratch, the scratch may be right in the view, and you are going to have to replace it then. If you have the shutters the object hits that shutter instead. Most likely saving the windows.

The only place I would use the hurricane impact windows would be for high windows that you couldn't shutter easily for some reason.
My point also, If the windows get hit and crack you have to have it replaced. Where the shutters cover the windows and protect it. Also some of the windows can't be tinted after the fact or they will crack.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 AM

We get a $750 discount which is truly laughable. I don't know where you folks live, but we do have our share of codes down here.

I am just wondering after spending that amount of money, whether there is the same return when it comes time to sell.

I appreciate your responses - thank you !

Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I had 3M come to my house in North Port & quote me on triple paned argon windows. These were AWESOME windows. If a hurricane put something through those windows, you are supposed to call them instead of your insurance company.

I almost fell over when I heard the price, and I asked the salesman to leave my house. Suddenly he came up with a whole bunch of discounts that were available, and the price was only about 1/3 of the original quote.

Moral? Don't accept the first price you hear from the salesman, they have A LOT of room to wiggle.

As far a shutters go, my husband used to install those shutters on new construction homes. They are a pain in the behind to work with, and you have to store them. Even a good installer can do serious damage to your home if he makes a mistake with his drill.

For me, I would go with the hurricane windows. I hate being closed up in the dark.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:18 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
It's time to make a decision about our windows. We live about 22 miles inland from Fort Lauderdale.

I would like to get opinions from those of you who chose to

A. replace your windows with hurricane impact windows or
B. replace with regular windows + shutters (by code you can not have one without the other unless you do it yourself).
C. Or perhaps you are thinking about having this done.

I was told the price is just about the same if you go either A or B.

Yes, I know this is expensive. We got quotes for impact windows that ranged from $29,000 - 46,000. That's quite a range.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Of Course this is just my opinion but I thank they are BS and I would no have them. It is true they will not break but if they are installed in the existing frames they will be no stronger then the frame itself. My sister in law has them and after Wilma she had water damage from water the leaked around her frames.. With her old shutters this never happened because the whole window was protected.

Also they spent the storm in the bathroom huddled together. The windows don't cut down on the sound and as they watched the water pound the windows it scared them do death. She said she will not go through another storm without the shutters regardless what the window manufacture says. I personally would not spend the money on them. Get some real good quality shutters so you can hunker down like a turtle and ride the storm out. Again, just my opinion and not meant to be a debate.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM

Wilma is imprinted in my memory, my soul, and my very being. And, we were so lucky - only lost trees, but all my neighbors - now that's a different story.

You raised an excellent point - if these windows are not installed properly then you have spent a fortune on what your sister experienced and what is one of my worst fears.

Happy for the responses. Keep 'em comin.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Wilma is imprinted in my memory, my soul, and my very being. And, we were so lucky - only lost trees, but all my neighbors - now that's a different story.

You raised an excellent point - if these windows are not installed properly then you have spent a fortune on what your sister experienced and what is one of my worst fears.

Happy for the responses. Keep 'em comin.
JHLCOMP,

Have you decided?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:57 AM

No I haven't decided yet and I am still waiting for some more info. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes