Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times

Advertisements

Our local tv station has announced a meeting to be held tomorrow to prepare for the influx of people evacuating the Gulf Coast and New Orleans.

Major roads to be contra flowed are Interstate 55 and Highway 59.

It has been reported that we should see tornadoes, rain and high winds if the hurricane hits just west of NO as the right front quadrant will sweep up the state.

I do hope people will call about hotel rooms as they will fill up quickly. I also hope many will evacuate sooner rather than later.

My thoughts and prayers are for you all on the Gulf Coast and in La.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Our local tv station has announced a meeting to be held tomorrow to prepare for the influx of people evacuating the Gulf Coast and New Orleans.

Major roads to be contra flowed are Interstate 55 and Highway 59.

It has been reported that we should see tornadoes, rain and high winds if the hurricane hits just west of NO as the right front quadrant will sweep up the state.

I do hope people will call about hotel rooms as they will fill up quickly. I also hope many will evacuate sooner rather than later.

My thoughts and prayers are for you all on the Gulf Coast and in La.
Mine as well....that was so very thoughtful of you to post this info

Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Mine as well....that was so very thoughtful of you to post this info

Ditto. Texas is also making plans to accomodate possible evacuees.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Latest information for shelters in North Mississippi

The following link tells of shelters that will be open, this is not a complete list, but it is the start of many to open.

wtva.com - Your Digital Information Center

Old 08-29-2008, 11:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I hope everyone errs on the safe side and doesn't take any chances. I was watching TWC and was surprised to see how far north into Ms and La. they were showing strong storm impacts to be. I figured you could get rain and wind, but it looks like it could get pretty stormy and of course, there's always the threat of tornadoes.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:28 AM

Oh yeah Jammie, we learned that we were not immune from these types of storms when Katrina came roaring thru. For the very first time ever, we went under a Tropical Storm Warning----and we are 6 hours straight north of the coast!!! She was still a Cat 1 when she roared thru Jackson---2 hours inland!

So now we watch and become concerned when we see something like Gustav heading towards NO/MS coast as it will be on our front door after making landfall as well. While not as devestating as coastal lands, it does get nasty with the spin off tornadoes and endless rain and high winds.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM

Angel, they're still mentioning Ms. on occasion so it's not safe there until it's over. They are leaning more toward Tx. this afternoon though. It appears they still think La. is going to get hit pretty hard even though the winds have died down a lot. Maybe they're more concerned about the water then the winds?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 PM

Jammie, we had clouds that moved in before dark and then some of the more outer rain bands made it's way here and we have had a couple of light showers. Our main threat is when the eye gets onland and we get some of those bands that produce tornadoes. This will not be fun for sure...

Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 PM

Angel, do you ever have to evacuate and go further north? I know you live toward the northern end of Ms. so it may be a silly question, but I know that canes are really far-reaching with their rains and tornadoes.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 PM

never had to. With Katrina, we went under a Tropical Storm Warning for the very first time that I can recall. Usually we are not affected so much. That was a scary ride as the winds were roaring constantly like a freight train, and we could not tell if there were any tornadoes in the clouds or not!

This time, we are predicted to get rain and on the outer fringe bands tornadoes. If it joggs any to the east we will feel it more.

Never had to go further north. We are usually the place people come to to escape hurricanes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes