U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2008, 09:22 PM

24,794 posts, read 30,028,219 times
Post News, One House Left Standing In Galveston Beach After Hurricane Ike.

Galveston, TX (AHN) - Only one house in the coastal town of Gilchrist in Galveston County, Texas survived Hurricane Ike and remained standing after the storm passed the area last week.

The home of Warren and Pam Adams was elevated 14 feet above ground by strong wooden columns which helped it withstand Ike's 110 mph winds and avoid floods that wiped out all other homes in the beach.

One House Left Standing In Galveston Beach After Hurricane Ike | AHN | September 20, 2008 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012362112 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 AM

206 posts, read 689,899 times
I saw these people on TV, not sure which news program. They went inside, and some things were covered in mud. They had to climb a ladder to get insdie. There was a baseball cap hanging on a hook, and papers still stuck on the fridge with magnets. Hurricane winds are strange indeed. The neighors who lost their home were also there and said they probably would not rebuild. The Adams's raised their American flag on the porch... and said it would probably be the last time they did so.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,297,031 times
I just got back from Galveston on Oct. 12. I'd traveled nearby and diverted to see it, as I lived there in the 1980s. I drove about 1/2 way to the Seawall, turned and went back. It is unbelievable, after a month, of the piles of debris and broken boats make it look as if it just happened. People are still walking around in a daze. No level of reporting can describe the destruction. They will recover, but it will be a long time this time.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:56 PM

8,344 posts, read 15,886,902 times
Hopefully people take the hint and not rebuild. There is simply no reason to take the risk to live on what is essentially a sandbar. It was probably a much better place in 1950 than before the storm. I am not sure why people in the last 50 years have been crazy enough to build on low-lying coastal land.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,688,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Hopefully people take the hint and not rebuild. There is simply no reason to take the risk to live on what is essentially a sandbar. It was probably a much better place in 1950 than before the storm. I am not sure why people in the last 50 years have been crazy enough to build on low-lying coastal land.
Hi Rick, you know~in the past I would've agreed with you. It's silly to live oceanside or very near it. BUT there are weather dangers all over. In the Midwest we have our lovely tornadoes. In the direction of Cali, they have the San Andreas fault along with many smaller ones.

Missouri has the dreaded Madrais (sp?) and I just watched a storm story saying it could devastate every state Mo. touches and reach way up to the Canadian border. That would include my area.

I always wondered why people went back to New Orleans because it's really not safe. Guess it's kind of like that all over.

Oh, and about the original topic~I felt SO bad when the Galveston area got hit. We nearly went down there in March cause we'd always wanted to see the historic homes and the Gulf in Tx. Now we really wish we would have cause it will never be the same as it was. Maybe they'll come back and be better in some ways, but a lot of the historical things will be gone.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 PM

41,243 posts, read 43,989,368 times
I thnik it is well to observe that most of the damage done by Ike in the Bolivar area was really from storm suge. The winds were like 110 Mph and many had seen winds like that before. But a storm suge like Ike had combined with all the debre acting as ramming objects really took made this unlike most cat two storms. The power of water is really unbeleievable until to see what it can do. A examp0le is where I live and a towen just acrros a bridge. We have a hurricane portection levy and eloevn foot of surge. The damage was minimal from Ike. Just across the bridge no levy and of 3500 homes only 4 were not heavily damaged. Some look like a tank ran thru them. The amount of just marsh grass and seaweed is four foot in many locations and the dead fish stink to high heaven. The same area was hit by rita with 130 mph winds with little surge and the damage was nothing. Also the area OP meantions is near galveston but not actually in the city of Galveston but much is iun the country of galveston. compared to Ike.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:54 PM

11,979 posts, read 5,835,374 times
i live on the island of st croix and it's been hit by 5 major hurricanes hugo 1989 marriland 1995 georges 1998 lenny1999 and not to forget about omar 2008 and this island still looks good for the amount of beatings this island has received from hurricanes. but this island is mostly made up of rock and hard dirt . but to build on a sand bar is stupidity. all persons that build on a sand bar shuold pay a verry high insurance premium! why should people who live a safe elavation and distance from the ocean pay high insurance premiums for other peoples stupidity if u realy want to live by the ocean build on a rocky shorline if u live on a sand bar u should calf up alot of extra green to cover the risk of living on a sand bar it's only fair. st croix has one of the toughest building codes around. i built a 300 ton stone wall around our house after hurricane hugo and we live 90 feet above sea level so why should people like us pay for other peoples stupidity. it just do's not make sence

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM

41,243 posts, read 43,989,368 times
They do pay very high insurance cost. Just look at the insurance rates in Florida. Same goes for places that have earth qaukes altho many are uninsurable. Then there are places with very high fire danger. One thng you learn about storm suge is that anyhting including cars become a bettering ram once they are picked up by it and most things like stone walls won't survive that kind of constant beating. We are not talking about just flooding when talking about storm surge which is drivern like a rivewr that floods. We have all seen the results of rivers flooding and the surge.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 AM

24,794 posts, read 30,028,219 times
Another link to this article,

Their house survived Ike, but it's the only one left - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes