Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 PM

262 posts, read 937,770 times

Advertisements

Sounds good, Tallrick - but I think I'll just watch those games

I'm curious - how do you use "tires and debris" for fuel in a generator? Sounds intriguing - and much more practical than gasoline, since gas pumps won't be operational after a bad cane.

And we may have at least one "Big One" this year. Seems it's going to be an active one. The time to start preparing is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
So far it looks like this will be a normal year. I don't anticipate the "big one" just yet. May isn't shaping up to be the dry month it was in 1992, 2004 and 2005.

Wood and tires can be burned in a barrel or old water heater to create gas that can run any car engine. As soon as I can tame the terrorists at Team Metro I can take some time to rebuild my generator and maybe one for my parents too. It's a lot easier than you think!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:49 AM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
Tallrick, How do you do this?????? I want to know also! I really do think that you need to run for governor and maybe even President, LOL!

Jen

Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

I would run for office, but nobody would support my campaign! You can be sure that if I did win the powers that be would want to assassinate me anyway. Who would tolerate the deregulation of our personal lives I would push for? Oh yes and making it illegal for any government to spend money they don't have? I would be lucky to get .001% of the vote!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Question And the foundation?

I have a question. Here in Florida in a no flood zone that is reasonably flat, is the added cost of a stem wall over a monolith justified?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
There so many complaints about hurricanes, but what if you never had to worry about them? Let's say your home had a concrete roof, heavy-duty lexan windows, steel doors and was well reinforced. Homes in a flood zone were raised up, and you had a garage to secure your car and objects, and maybe a protected courtyard. All trees are tough natives, and you have a neighborhood mulcher, or your own for the cleanup. In short when you have a hurricane warning all you do is close the windows and check the generator, and fold over the solar panels. You can run the generator when power goes out, and/or backup batteries. After the storm you have full power, and plenty of food. Just spend the day picking up tree branches, mulching and cleaning up sand or mud. Next day all is done. You have plenty of fuel for a month without utility power, if necessary. Plenty of hot water and air conditioning. Would this make you feel better instead of living in a wood roof- crackerbox or dependant condo like most do now? Or is the thought of a hurricane the source of stress itself? Remember in my scenario your home WILL NOT be damaged.

By the way this IS possible if people learn how to build correctly, and do not have to worry about homeowners associations or elitist zoning.
Maybe so. I might fell better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes