Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 30,255 times

Advertisements

I agree with Pennyd5 that a lot of Florida's problems were investors over reaching on home purchases hoping to make a bundle on re-sales. We just moved to Florida and have been driving around to learn our area. We notice that there are lots of homes for sale. We got a great deal on a new home in Punta Gorda because the builder was forced to reduce prices on existing new homes. It's a great time to buy down here. I believe this is a "correction" period on previously over priced properties. Once it levels out I would hope the housing market will rebound. However, I think the failing housing market is just one of the results of our over all poor economy. We are bombed every day with new stories about outsource Chinese products that are defective or not to our USA standards. When will these companies realize they are selling their souls to save production costs? I wonder how much it costs them on the recalls? Housing, here and in other states, (it's the same in Ohio) is just one economic problem. Look at the increase in food costs! Our automobile companies are also hurting. I just hope a new president, along with a cooperative congress will turn this country around. We are all suffering at all levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGLady View Post
I agree with Pennyd5 that a lot of Florida's problems were investors over reaching on home purchases hoping to make a bundle on re-sales. We just moved to Florida and have been driving around to learn our area. We notice that there are lots of homes for sale. We got a great deal on a new home in Punta Gorda because the builder was forced to reduce prices on existing new homes. It's a great time to buy down here. I believe this is a "correction" period on previously over priced properties. Once it levels out I would hope the housing market will rebound. However, I think the failing housing market is just one of the results of our over all poor economy. We are bombed every day with new stories about outsource Chinese products that are defective or not to our USA standards. When will these companies realize they are selling their souls to save production costs? I wonder how much it costs them on the recalls? Housing, here and in other states, (it's the same in Ohio) is just one economic problem. Look at the increase in food costs! Our automobile companies are also hurting. I just hope a new president, along with a cooperative congress will turn this country around. We are all suffering at all levels.
The problem is as much or more us than the companies....we like cheap...we will buy Chinese because it's cheaper than an American company's product. We then turn around and blame the companies that do outsource to China....we need to take some personal responsibility on this.

Food costs? I don't know about that....we have an obesity epidemic in this country....being able to afford food does not appear to be an issue.

There are plenty of good, high paying jobs out there if you get an education....especially in the math or sciences. My Brother In Law tells me about the difficulty of finding tech guys to hire that aren't from India or China etc. with visas.

I'm not so sure what you think the Government's role in all this should be. Frankly, I like them staying out of the private economy as much as possible.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGal View Post
Mathguy,
It took them 19 months to sell the house. They put it on the market in Sep of Sep 05 and it finally sold April 07. So the market was already saturated. I'm surprised they sold it.
Ah, my bad, I misread your previous post.

Did you look into demand surge? Yeah, that seemed high for a roof but when there are only so many roofers and thousands of damaged roofs that's supply and demand for you.

Did they buy the house a long time ago and make a profit or was it a more recent thing and they just eeked out?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
Under the current system, since I don't live on the beach I'm subsidizing those who can afford to live there.

I'd much rather my premiums help out those who have less than I have, than those who have more.
Absolutely. Governor Crist's solution is cheaper housing insurance for the highest risk (most coastal) properties....to be paid for later by everyone in the state in taxes, assessments etc.

He then blames the insurance companies for the whole mess, although the state has always set the rates and still does, like he is some sort of protector of the little guy. Ooooh thanks for saving us from those evil high property insurance costs Governor Crist.

Wow. This is going to end badly for Florida when the next hurricane hits.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:23 PM

138 posts, read 675,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah, my bad, I misread your previous post.

Did you look into demand surge? Yeah, that seemed high for a roof but when there are only so many roofers and thousands of damaged roofs that's supply and demand for you.

Did they buy the house a long time ago and make a profit or was it a more recent thing and they just eeked out?

They bought it 10 years ago, I'm sure they made some money. Let's just say they SHOULD have been able to pay cash for the next house, but they didn't/couldn't. I just don't get involved in money issues with my mom. Neither does dad. Let's just say my sisters and I hope we don't have to pay off their bills. Yeah, I know about demand surge. But $17,000, I don't know. I think they were talked into everything. I'm betting it needed shingles, but not all new everything. My husband and brothers could have done it for materials and beer.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM

151 posts, read 599,405 times
A little humor:

Things Learned >From A Hurricane

Things I have learned from these hurricanes, yes including the upcoming one.

1. An oak tree on the ground looks four times bigger than it did standing up.

2. When house hunting look for closets with lots of leg room.

3. Water from the shower is much colder than water from the kitchen sink -- and tastes just as bad.

4. AA, C and D are the only letters of the alphabet we need (batteries).

5. The four-way stop is still an ingenious reflection of civility.

6. Radio can be the best way to watch television.

7. Chain-saw wielding men are nothing to be afraid of.

8. Mini van's are the best makeshift tents on the market.

9. You can use your washing machine as a cooler.

10. It's your right to sit on your back porch and eat Chinese takeout by candlelight in your underwear.

11. We shouldn't complain about "useless" tools in the garage -- we actually DO need a generator

12. You can' t spell "priceless" without I-C-E.

13. Downed power lines make excellent security systems.

14. Development catch ponds can generate waves.

15. Gasoline is a value at any price

16. Cell phones: Breaking up isn't hard to do.

17. The life blood of any disaster recovery is Caffeine.

18. The need for your dog to go out and take care of business is inversely proportional to the severity of the storm.

19. Candlelight is better than Botox--- it takes years off your appearance

20. Air Conditioning and Electricty: BEST INVENTIONS EVER, PERIOD.

21. Water is a comfort food. But 3-day-old Cheetos are too.

22. Shadow animals on the wall is still fun.

23. No matter how hard the wind blows, roadside campaign signs will survive.

24. You should never admit to having power at your house in the presence of co-workers or neighbors, who do not.

25. There's a plus to having NOTHING in the refrigerator.

26. Getting through the day should be an Olympic event.

27. The movie theater can be a most pleasant place, even if the feature is Alien vs. Predator

28. Somebody's got it worse.

29. Somebody's got it better. Obviously, they're getting preferential treatment.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:57 AM

3 posts, read 7,285 times
Smile Leaving Florida

Florida is no longer an attractive place to retire with the increase in taxes and insurance always on the rise, among the other disasters in the atmosphere. Houses in my area sit for two years before they sell. I cannot wait to leave. They are many other places begging for retirees. Oh...and I can't forget the horribly corrupt politics influence my decision.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 AM

7 posts, read 65,983 times
North Central Florida is busting apart at the seams. Plenty of land available.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
There are plenty of good, high paying jobs out there if you get an education....especially in the math or sciences. My Brother In Law tells me about the difficulty of finding tech guys to hire that aren't from India or China etc. with visas.

Many of my friends are the tech guys your BIL wants to hire - and only pay a $35,000 salary. And that's on the high end.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

Many of my friends are the tech guys your BIL wants to hire - and only pay a $35,000 salary. And that's on the high end.
It seems we have different definitions of "tech jobs". Also, 35k for starting seems pretty darn good unless it's in a high COL area.

My buddy that's an engineer and works for sprint sure doesn't make 35k.

My college buddies that got degrees in finance, accounting and math at a public university have jobs that pay around 100k after 15 years of experience or so.

My sister had a REALLY hard time finding a Physical Therapist to work in her department...that spoke decent english....it appears that a lot of people go to school and then bail on that profession due to the amount of science required.

If it's EASY....it pays less....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes