Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,620 times

Advertisements

It depend on what Hurricane Zone Level you are in. In my opinion, I think we could take a Category 2 or Lower and be OK. If it reaches Cat. 3 or above (when it's considered a "Major" storm) I think that's when you need to start thinking of moving camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
in general and when I lived on the gulf coast; a Category 3 made me edgy. But we were way above sea level so storm surge wasn't an issue.
Category 4 or 5 and I'm headed out of town!!

Lucky me--I moved thousands of miles away from all that!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 AM

are you living in a mobile home?
If yes--you need to follow orders from local offcials. Mobile home dwellers follow a different rule of thumb than someone in a house.
Cat 1 and Cat 2 storms are usually no big deal.

Your neighbor, that stayed in a mobile home during Ivan, is lucky to be alive and no offense to that neighbor......but that was a stupid thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I just relocated to the Florida Panhandle from Illinois, and im located in Crestview, Fl . which is 30 miles east of Pensacola and 40 miles inland from the Gulf Coast. Im getting ALL kinds of advice on hurricanes and frankly, im not sure which to believe as truth ; here are the most popular opinions ive gotton from long time residents of my area :

1. No need to evacuate for a Cat. 1 and low strength Cat. 2.
2. Evacuate for ANY strength hurricane.

My next door neighbor in a Mobile Home stayed for Hurricane Ivan which was still a Cat. 3. when it reached our neighborhood and he said he could start to feel the home lift a little bit but damage was minimal.

So, im coming to this Forum to see what the consensus is on this before a hurricane comes my way. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 AM

to which part of Alabama do you plan to flee?

Quote:
The garage i just had built is made for a Cat. 3. so ill stay in that for a Cat. 1 or less. But anything more than Cat. 1, and ill head up to Alabama in my small RV.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
I saw three mobile home parks in the Ft. Lauderdale/Davie/Hollywood area following the 4 hurricanes that hit us there in 05. They were peeled back like sardine cans or completely obliterated in some instances. Blown away completely or peeled just like the can. One lady was sitting at her kitchen table drinking coffee the next morning. Everything inside was pretty much intact, but her walls and ceiling were gone!!!

WHY would you risk staying in such a horrible situation? It only takes a few seconds to wipe you out, but you could take the time to flee and be safe. I went through 3 of those 4 hurricanes in 05, pluse hurricane Bob on Cape Cod in 91. I NEVER want to go through anything more than the low Cat 2's that I've seen and I NEVER want to be near a tornado!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
to which part of Alabama do you plan to flee?

The problem with fleeing to Alabama is that the storm will probably follow you there.

I forget which one it was, but a storm a few years ago was still packing 100 mph winds when it got to Montgomery.

Personally, having ridden out 3 hurricanes, 2 typhoons and having helped clean up after 4, I wouldn't stop until I got to, like, Oregon or Canada.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 PM

yea, for sure. Head to Tn or that way .......don't stop in Bama if you're running from a hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The problem with fleeing to Alabama is that the storm will probably follow you there.

I forget which one it was, but a storm a few years ago was still packing 100 mph winds when it got to Montgomery.

Personally, having ridden out 3 hurricanes, 2 typhoons and having helped clean up after 4, I wouldn't stop until I got to, like, Oregon or Canada.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Rita actually caused some mobil hme over 80 mles from the coast to disappear becuse of wind as seen by others that didn't. But as seen from Ike wind is not the real weapon a hurricane has ;it now much strom surge you get and how they effect any rivers etc in pushing flooding. We had a community 30 miles from the coast flooded by eight foot surge in Ike with little wind damage. 4 home of 3500 not flooded.The immediate coast that had no protedtion ;wiped out when many there had gone thru storms since the 50's.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Rita actually caused some mobil hme over 80 mles from the coast to disappear becuse of wind as seen by others that didn't. But as seen from Ike wind is not the real weapon a hurricane has ;it now much strom surge you get and how they effect any rivers etc in pushing flooding. We had a community 30 miles from the coast flooded by eight foot surge in Ike with little wind damage. 4 home of 3500 not flooded.The immediate coast that had no protedtion ;wiped out when many there had gone thru storms since the 50's.

That sounds like what happened in Terrebonne Parish, LA.

They survived Katrina, Rita and Gustav (which passed right overhead) with relatively little damage, but Ike, which came ashore over 200 miles away as a "mere" Category II, flooded nearly every home in the Parish.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
I just relocated to the Florida Panhandle from Illinois, and im located in Crestview, Fl . which is 30 miles east of Pensacola and 40 miles inland from the Gulf Coast. Im getting ALL kinds of advice on hurricanes and frankly, im not sure which to believe as truth ; here are the most popular opinions ive gotton from long time residents of my area :

1. No need to evacuate for a Cat. 1 and low strength Cat. 2.
2. Evacuate for ANY strength hurricane.

My next door neighbor in a Mobile Home stayed for Hurricane Ivan which was still a Cat. 3. when it reached our neighborhood and he said he could start to feel the home lift a little bit but damage was minimal.

So, im coming to this Forum to see what the consensus is on this before a hurricane comes my way. Thanks.

Well, it depends: what kind of building do you live in, when was it built, what your elevation is in relationship to the surrounding land, whether the storm is mostly wind or mostly rain, whether you have trees in your yard and what kind....

Charley was a Category 1 when it exited Florida, and it kicked our butt. OTOH, I've ridden out Category twos with not so much as a flicker of the cable TV.

In general, I go with the "Jim Cantore factor":
If the Weather Channel is broadcasting live from within 50 miles of your house, pay attention.
From within 20 miles of your house, be concerned.
If it's 10 miles, get your house ready for a good hard storm.
And if it's 10 miles and Jim Cantore's doing the story, RUN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes