Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,393 times

Advertisements

Based on what your neighbor said, I would not stay in the house for a Cat. 3. If you have trees that can fall on the house, then I would leave it for a Cat. 2.

Depending upon the lay of the land, I don't think flooding should be a big concern. I wish I lived 200' above sea level.

As I see it, your two big concerns consist of the wind flipping/damaging your house, and overall disruption, with power outages, blocked roads, lack of running water, lack of emergency services etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 02:56 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
Based on what your neighbor said, I would not stay in the house for a Cat. 3. If you have trees that can fall on the house, then I would leave it for a Cat. 2.

Depending upon the lay of the land, I don't think flooding should be a big concern. I wish I lived 200' above sea level.

As I see it, your two big concerns consist of the wind flipping/damaging your house, and overall disruption, with power outages, blocked roads, lack of running water, lack of emergency services etc.
I think ill plan on staying for a Cat. 1 just to experience a Hurricane but no greater than a Cat 1. And...i would most likely stay in the garage i just had built since it is rated for a Cat 3. I do have a good size Generator for electricity which can also power the Well Pump for water. Anything greater than a Cat. 1, ill jump in the small RV and head into Alabama a ways.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I think ill plan on staying for a Cat. 1 just to experience a Hurricane but no greater than a Cat 1. And...i would most likely stay in the garage i just had built since it is rated for a Cat 3. I do have a good size Generator for electricity which can also power the Well Pump for water. Anything greater than a Cat. 1, ill jump in the small RV and head into Alabama a ways.
Just keep in mind that hurricanes spawn tornadoes too. Even a Cat one can destroy a mobile home or stick built house with a spawned tornado. I live on the ridge in C FL and have seen mighty oaks rooted up and broken like tooth pick during Charley. I watch some of these trees snap while I rode it out. Charley's sudden change in direction took thousands of us by surprise....Just some more things to consider. HTH...

Old 06-20-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Just keep in mind that hurricanes spawn tornadoes too. Even a Cat one can destroy a mobile home or stick built house with a spawned tornado. I live on the ridge in C FL and have seen mighty oaks rooted up and broken like tooth pick during Charley. I watch some of these trees snap while I rode it out. Charley's sudden change in direction took thousands of us by surprise....Just some more things to consider. HTH...
Oh yeah...I forgot about Tornados coming from hurricanes. I think ill just jump in the RV and take off.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 PM

5,649 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Also remember that storms don't stay a particular category....the strength is a prediction as much as the trajectory is. So if you think you would "definitely" leave for a Cat 2 but stay for a Cat 1, it may be too late to evacuate if the storm becomes a Cat 2 before coming on shore.

I agree with previous posters that there are a lot of individual factors on whether your particular house migh be safe durign a hurricane. Personally after being through the eye of three hurricanes and on the outskirts of about that many more, I would not stay in a mobile home for any hurricane, regardless of category.

Also I think you asked at the very beginning about the underground storm shelters. Those make sense to me in Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. where the issue is "dry" tornadoes. I would be afraid of drowing in one during a hurricnae or having something fall on top of it and not being able to get out.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
My house is a 1984 Mobile Home, and my neighbors is a 1980's Mobile as well. Both have been updated with straps under the Mobile every 4 feet and anchored into the ground. No shutters, just double pane windows. My neighbors house is about 600' from mine . He rode out a Cat. 3 (Ivan) and said it was a bit scary as he could feel the Mobile trying to lift up. He had some roof damage but not extensive.
So you are in a mobile home, no way would I stay in a mobile home for even a cat 1 hurricane. Tornados are part of hurricanes and it only takes one to come over your home. Here in Miami, all residents in a mobile home are under a mandatory evacuation during a Cat 1 hurricane. Please take your valuables and goto to friends in a CBS home with shutters or go to a shelter please...better yet file your RV up and get out of the area.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
So you are in a mobile home, no way would I stay in a mobile home for even a cat 1 hurricane. Tornados are part of hurricanes and it only takes one to come over your home. Here in Miami, all residents in a mobile home are under a mandatory evacuation during a Cat 1 hurricane. Please take your valuables and goto to friends in a CBS home with shutters or go to a shelter please...better yet file your RV up and get out of the area.
The garage i just had built is made for a Cat. 3. so ill stay in that for a Cat. 1 or less. But anything more than Cat. 1, and ill head up to Alabama in my small RV.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:03 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Hurricanes are capricious and you have to deal with much more than just wind. A Category 3 may come into your area and do relatively little damage, but a Category I may dump 4 ft of rain on you. Plus, there is the issue of "guessing" it's strength at landfall. Remember Wilma, the most powerful hurricane ever seen in the Gulf? It went from a Cat 1 to to Cat 5 in less than 24 hours and hit the coast as a high end Cat 4. Katrina, on the other hand, dropped from a Cat 5 to a low end Cat 3 just before landfall but still killed 1500 people.

My advice? Why risk it? Get out. If it turns out to be nothing, you've only spent a little time and money. If it turns out worse, you may have saved your family's life.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Hurricanes are capricious and you have to deal with much more than just wind. A Category 3 may come into your area and do relatively little damage, but a Category I may dump 4 ft of rain on you. Plus, there is the issue of "guessing" it's strength at landfall. Remember Wilma, the most powerful hurricane ever seen in the Gulf? It went from a Cat 1 to to Cat 5 in less than 24 hours and hit the coast as a high end Cat 4. Katrina, on the other hand, dropped from a Cat 5 to a low end Cat 3 just before landfall but still killed 1500 people.

My advice? Why risk it? Get out. If it turns out to be nothing, you've only spent a little time and money. If it turns out worse, you may have saved your family's life.
Its difficult to argue against your rationale. Thanks. Ill heed it.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 PM

141 posts, read 292,978 times
Categories are sometimes really misleading.

Back in 2001, Tropical Storm (TS) Allison hit Texas, and is the only TS in history to have its name retired because it caused unbelievable damage, mostly flooding if I remember correctly. Actually, my dad was trapped at work during the storm because the freeway was flooded.

And hurricanes can spawn tornadoes, so that's a whole 'nother thing to have to worry about...

I live pretty far inland. When Ike hit us, we mostly had downed trees, roof damage, power outages, and the like. A lot of areas didn't have power for a month, and it was pretty miserable.

If you plan to stay, it might not be a bad idea to invest in a generator, but power outages, in my opinion, aren't the number one thing I would personally be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes