Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you evacuate?
A tropical storm scares me. 3 3.33%
When it's mandated. I'll leave immediatley. 19 21.11%
I procrastinate, maybe I won't have to leave. 5 5.56%
Cat 2 or 3, I've seen the damage. 16 17.78%
I'll be sitting in traffic. 0 0%
Cat 4 or 5 - Coming straight at my house! 26 28.89%
I ain't leavin'. 21 23.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,974 times

Advertisements

For Florida natives and those who have been here awhile, you know the drill. For recent transplants and those considering moving to Florida, hopefully you have read Sunrico's incredibly informative posts.

What will determine your decision to evacuate or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 AM

156 posts, read 1,063,738 times
Link to Sunricos so very informative thread? I'm a New Yorker moving to Ocala in July....and have never been through a hurricane!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Hard call to make. We have a house full of pets, we have seen that the middle of the state is not any safer, and we have seen storms change track in an eyeblink.

I was in North Port during the 2004 season. A few miles down the road Port Charlotte got hammered. That storm was headed for Tampa, if I remember correctly.

I think that for us evacuation is a storm by storm decision.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Hard call to make. We have a house full of pets, we have seen that the middle of the state is not any safer, and we have seen storms change track in an eyeblink.

I was in North Port during the 2004 season. A few miles down the road Port Charlotte got hammered. That storm was headed for Tampa, if I remember correctly.

I think that for us evacuation is a storm by storm decision.
I would agree, storm by storm decision. Although, if it's a Cat 1-3, I'm not budging! If it's a 4 or 5, then I would have to decide. It would depend on exactly how much of a direct hit they were predicting, and how much of a storm surge. Where we are, it would take a heck of a storm surge to come up on us. In over 26 years of living here in Florida, (all in Santa Rosa County), only once did we evacuate, and that was in '95, for Opal. And, that was only because when we went to bed, it was headed in a different direction, and was about a Cat 3. Then, it very suddenly switched directions, coming straight at us, and had built up to a Cat 5! They had the fire department going up and down the streets, (only time we've ever had that happen), telling everyone they needed to go. So, go we did, with Opal nipping at our heels, because it had a very fast forward movement. When we came back, two or three days later, not only did we have minimal damage, we still had electricity! Turns out, Opal dropped back down to a Cat 3, just before landfall, and because it was moving so fast, it actually didn't have much time in one spot, to do alot of damage. Go figure!

Like you Evey, we have a number of pets, (3 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 miniature horse), and I'm not leaving them behind. Ever try to find a shelter or motel that would take all that, especially the horse?!

So, it would take a heck of a storm to get rid of me! We rode out Ivan, and that was a high Cat 3, so we know we can handle that much. Like I said, anything higher, and we'll have to make a decision at that time. Hopefully, (crossing my fingers, knocking on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder, looking for my 4-leaf clover...), we won't have to worry about it!

Old 06-03-2007, 06:13 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I would agree, storm by storm decision. Although, if it's a Cat 1-3, I'm not budging! If it's a 4 or 5, then I would have to decide.
I'm new to Fla., just where do you go if you're told to evacuate?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I'm new to Fla., just where do you go if you're told to evacuate?
Your County will tell you (EOC). It may be north,south,east or west. Its all based on the storm track. But it may not be easy to evacuate, the roads can't handle the load. Ever drive in rush hour? now add 70 times the amount of cars. You may have to spend a night in your car. Most rooms will be full. Gas is a big deal you may use most of your gas sitting on the road with out moving. Gas stations were told to have backup power but most don't have it yet.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:41 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Your County will tell you. It may be north,south,east or west Its all based on the storm track. But it may not be easy to evacuate the roads can't handle the load. Ever drive in rush hour? now add 70times the amount of cars.
that much I get, they tell thousands of people to hit the road, my question is, NOW WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?
I mean you just got in your car, high tailed it to the middle of nowhere, now what?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:00 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
that much I get, they tell thousands of people to hit the road, my question is, NOW WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?
I mean you just got in your car, high tailed it to the middle of nowhere, now what?
I know this sounds bad but you might just drive to a safe area and wait. Motel rooms will be filled and shelters don't have anything but a roof and walls. Get an air mattress to sleep on and all your pre-plan stuff. Most people don't think the water can get very high, But it can and has. If your home is in a flood zone (look in your phone book and it will have a zone chart)Plan to go.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
For Florida natives and those who have been here awhile, you know the drill. For recent transplants and those considering moving to Florida, hopefully you have read Sunrico's incredibly informative posts.

What will determine your decision to evacuate or not?
Like many is a decision based on the storm projection and category. We have experienced many and we don't fear a hurricane, we understand the results and we have a plan in place that we engage in case that the hurricane is greater than a Cat 3 and coming our way.

I also have a pet, and we did researched the hotels that take pets and we make reservations 3 or 4 days prior to the hurricane hits, this is normally a 3 or 4 hour drive and we have a "Safe Haven "for our family.

Is also good for individuals to visit your county web-site they do provide excellent info. Again don't fear a hurricane just understand the process...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:08 PM

326 posts, read 470,616 times
luckily, if and when I move down there, I ain't living no less than 12 city blocks from the ocean. By the way, if a hurricane packing 200+ mph SUSTAINED winds were about to make a DIRECT hit on my neighborhood, then maybe I might evacuate. Maybe!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes