Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

They really should have retired the Accent name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They really should have retired the Accent name.
... and what? Call it an Excel? Or a Pony?

Unless it's a 100% new car, new configuration, new class, etc., changing the vehicle's name just emphasizes "we used to make cars so crappy, we don't even want to acknowledge them anymore." Case in point - the Chevrolet Cavalier and Cobalt.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
I like the new Accent... The MPG really impresses me, I wonder how it drives and what the true real life MPG is.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post

Unless it's a 100% new car, new configuration, new class, etc., changing the vehicle's name just emphasizes "we used to make cars so crappy, we don't even want to acknowledge them anymore." Case in point - the Chevrolet Cavalier and Cobalt.
There is a flipside to that, keeping the name allows you to draw heritage and a lineage even if it started from humble beginnings. Changing names also confuses consumers. For example Infiity has changed their letters and models so much as well as using existing letters from other brands no one knows what the hell they are.

What you are saying is true but there is another side to it as well.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post

All I know is when people hear "Hyundai Accent" they think junk, just like the old Excel.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
All I know is when people hear "Hyundai Accent" they think junk, just like the old Excel.
Really? That's the exact opposite of what I know. Anyone who is able to read will know the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 PM

38,860 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
My first new car I ever purchased with my own credit was a 1987 Excel 4-door hatchback. I only had the car for 3 years at which time I traded it in for my next car, which was a 1990 Mazda Protege. The one big thing about the Hyundai I didn't like was the lackluster performance. In fact, I saw a custom license plate frame on another Hyundai Excel at the time that read, "Zero to 60 in 15 minutes flat." I couldn't agree more.

I've been reading in Consumer Reports that the new Hyundai vehicles are on a par with their Japanese counterparts as far as quality. If I was in the market for a new car, I'd definitely give the Hyundai a second look.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I test drove the new Elantra yesterday right after test driving a new Corolla. Night and day. The Elantra has excellent acceleration with 5 people in it. It has a roomy back seat and was loaded. Its 6 speed auto was very smooth and it is rated at 29/40 mpg.

The Corolla was adequate but acceration was poor from a start and we had 1 less passenger. It was rates at 26/34.

My only concern about the Hyundai is reliability longterm as the memory of the old ones are still fresh in my mind. From what I've read new Hyundai cars are supposed to be up there with Honda and Toyota. If that is true then I definitely like this car the best in every category compared to the others. The price is much better as well!

I would also go with the Elantra, and the reliability has greatly improved on the car from earlier models. The Corolla does have a solid reputation for dependability, but the car needs a makeover. I find the Corolla uncomfortable to drive. I find the Drivers seat very uncomfortable or the distance to the steering wheel. Just something feels uncomfortable to me when driving this model car. I don't know what it is but its a car I won't buy. I would buy the Elantra though and find it comfortable to drive with alot of pep. The new model looks like a small Sonata.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I picked up my Elantra on Monday and am already at 300 miles. According to the computer I'm averaging 30.4 which seems about right. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I fill up. The car's rated at 29/40 which the dealer indicated his customers have been avg 35 to 37 after about 4000 miles.

So far I am very impressed with the comfort, ride, and performance. I love the built-in phone link features. I went for the limited model and the leather seats are very comfortable in comparison to the competitors.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM

278 posts, read 550,144 times
hmm i was thinking about getting the honda fit because of the space and good mileage, but this elantra is sounding pretty good. the thing i like most is the warranty. the elantra is a sedan and the fit a hatchback but from the pictures it looks like the elantra has plenty of room. hard decision for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia