Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 05:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But why? It's not like the dealership itself is eating the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I suppose that bmwguydc is indicating that the profits from warranty repair are not worth the time and effort. That the dealer can maximize profits by just focusing on selling to first time buyers.

I disagree, personally. I would think the dealer would want to milk the manufacturer for as much money as they can.
The dealership isn't going to go out of their way for a vehicle claim. Using the example of the OP, who purchased used, I highly doubt she was handed a folder with the maintenance records on the car. From a private owner, it could be even more of a hassle to get the paperwork, and no dealership is going to help a customer in that regard, piecing together what may have been done at the dealership, or assisting in identifying gaps in the history for which a receipt from another service provider would be necessary.

As an example, I had a fight with an Acura dealership, where the car was purchased, over a headlight ballast issue that the dealership claimed wasn't covered and were going to charge me to fix. Actually, when I spoke with Acura the next morning, it was covered, and then the dealership had the audacity to act as if they had gotten the part covered, until I told the service advisor that I had gone around them and contacted Acura directly.

It's not the profit from the repair that's not worth it, but there can be an adversarial relationship when a warranty claim is initiated, especially for something that is an expensive fix, and for which the dealership may have had less than successful results in the past. With Kias that are a few years old, this can be an uphill battle, even when the issues are known problems as the quality of the earlier vehicles was not to the improved level of today.

Moreover, the dealer must submit the claim per the manufacturer's requirements, and the service history may be part of it, such that without it, there is no claim initiated because the dealership will not evaluate a potential claim without the paper trail.

I still don't like the gimmick of the warranty, as 10/100 is original owner only, when other manufacturers offer balance of factory warranty, and/or extend the warranty when certified with a pre-owned vehicle purchase. With Kia, you can get a 10/100 only if the vehicle is purchased under the certified warranty program, which is not an extension, but restoration of the original factory warranty.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Okay... I am sitting here with a 22 year old pickup with 156,000 miles on it. Yes it needs some service work done... It is not my primary vehicle. It is a work truck with a flatbed and 4x4. The repairs should be cheap whenever I get around to wanting to tackle it. It isn't a drivability issue.

My main car is a 2000 Lincoln LS with 164,000 miles on it. So far this year the repairs are $130 for new tie rod ends, $770 for coil packs and O2 sensors, and $500 for new tires which should last 3 years. I run 5,000 miles between oil changes per maintenence schedule. I also run good filters and synthetic blend oil.

If you take care of your car it will take care of you. That means changing oil when it is time, changing filters when needed, and having other maintence done to specifications.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
It's not a scam, your reading comprehension is a failure.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
If you take care of your car it will take care of you. That means changing oil when it is time, changing filters when needed, and having other maintence done to specifications.
Are you saying that if I neglect my car my dealer won't take care of it for me?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are you saying that if I neglect my car my dealer won't take care of it for me?
I think neglect will void a warranty. No ripoff there.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Of course they would weasel out, think they could afford to repair those poses....

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
It's not a scam, your reading comprehension is a failure.

And, back on topic at the Arm Wrestle Ranch, what does that BMW Dlr anecdote have to do with the OP's labyrinth op?

BMW dlrs: there could be a sub forum here for posts. Oh wait, there are about a dozen BWW boards, some very informative,
but it has zip bearing on the OP's Kia, her disdain for it, and her 'misunderstanding' on what the used car warranty was.
GL, mD

Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
For the majority of people reading this thread your car is the second largest major purchase you will make.

Why on Earth would one not ask relevant questions during the purchase of that car? Like what warranty does this car have? What are my responsibilities towards the maintenance?

How much money do you have to spend before you start paying attention and ask intelligent questions?
Well,considering that more than half of my family never learned how to drive because we live near mass transit in the Nyc area,I think I did ok.

Now, I didn't read the warranty before buying the car. The salesman told me the car was covered for 100,000 miles. But its not like I know car "terms",just like I don't expect you guys to know medical lingo.
The average consumer wouldn't know the difference between bumper to bumper and pwertrain. I know I didn't,never occured to me to learn about it.
See,I thought powertrain meant everything under the hood.
I knew it didn't include exterior,brakes,etc..

Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,considering that more than half of my family never learned how to drive because we live near mass transit in the Nyc area,I think I did ok.

Now, I didn't read the warranty before buying the car. The salesman told me the car was covered for 100,000 miles. But its not like I know car "terms",just like I don't expect you guys to know medical lingo.
The average consumer wouldn't know the difference between bumper to bumper and pwertrain. I know I didn't,never occured to me to learn about it.
A lesson that's better to learn on a Kia than a Rolls.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Really? A warranty stipulates what is power train, what is covered and what is not covered. It also contains provisions about what will void the warranty. While it is a legal document it doesn't contain vast amounts of legalese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia