Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,356,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Dude, just shut it. After you've done so, take note from your own source that 4WD is an option. The OP knows better than you what the driveline configuration of his own damn car is.

Well, he didn't know not to put truck tires on a car and I was trying to be diplomatic. Unlike you. So I suppose it is you that should "shut it" whatever that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 AM

155 posts, read 504,627 times
Lol, I'm a "she" btw I definitely don't profess to know much about automobiles, but DO know what kind I have. What do you mean? I didn't know not to put truck tires on a car?? Isn't my sorento (suv) considered a truck?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrrt View Post
Lol, I'm a "she" btw I definitely don't profess to know much about automobiles, but DO know what kind I have. What do you mean? I didn't know not to put truck tires on a car?? Isn't my sorento (suv) considered a truck?
While it's considered a truck, you don't want to put truck tires on it unless you intend to use it for genuine truck duties. If it's used primarily as a commuter vehicle just like any other standard passenger car, then truck tires are ill-suited for your needs -- they're loud, their handling dynamics on pavement suck, and they're not nearly as good for snow duty as snow tires are.

Do yourself a favor: get snow tires for winter plus dedicated cheapie-rims to mount them on, and get all-seasons for the other 3 seasons. (When it comes down to it, "all-season" tires should really be called "3-season tires.")

Either that or trade in your rig for something that isn't RWD.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
For winter driving conditions snow tires are better than all seasons.
A quick check on Google or You tube under the heading of "All Seasons vs Snow tires" will show you just how much of a difference there is.
As i want the maximum in safety for me my wife and kids proper tire selection isnt where i'd be looking to cut corners on expenses.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM

155 posts, read 504,627 times
Thank you all for your input! It was really helpful. I definitely want to buy a new vehicle with front or awd, but my current Kia runs like a charm, so I hate to get rid of it. Guess I will try to get through the winter with some decent tires. I like the idea of having dedicated snow tires, but I'm afraid if I buy them then something DOES happen to my car I'm stuck with 2 sets of tires lol. Thanks again for the advice

Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,406,689 times
If something does happen to your car, you can always sell them. I would think there would be a big market for them Boston.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,110,569 times
FWIW, I looked for a definitive answer as to whether this Kia is RWD or 4WD. Many sites were unclear including Edmunds. In the title they say it's 4WD, but in the text they say it's RWD. No mention was made of optional drive systems.

For a retail purchase with info and support I'd consider Discount Tire. Lots of info on their site, local stores, and from what I've read they're at least price competitive with other retailers. I've crossed paths with them a couple times and would go back if I were buying at retail.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Dude, just shut it. After you've done so, take note from your own source that 4WD is an option. The OP knows better than you what the driveline configuration of his own damn car is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
FWIW, I looked for a definitive answer as to whether this Kia is RWD or 4WD. Many sites were unclear including Edmunds. In the title they say it's 4WD, but in the text they say it's RWD. No mention was made of optional drive systems.

For a retail purchase with info and support I'd consider Discount Tire. Lots of info on their site, local stores, and from what I've read they're at least price competitive with other retailers. I've crossed paths with them a couple times and would go back if I were buying at retail.

The ill informed, but opinionated person who posted that Wiki showed AWD as an option was just plain wrong, but his snarky post did not deserve a correction, only a rebuke. Which, of course, I gave him.

Since then, I have seen several sites that show full time AWD as standard equipment and several show it as an option. I'm sure that the OP has looked for the signs after this discussion, but I don't think it is too surprising that an owner would not know what the drivetrain was on a full time AWD vehicle that requires no manual selector be engaged. Many people do not seem to know if they have FWD or RWD which is far more obvious than AWD.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The ill informed, but opinionated person who posted that Wiki showed AWD as an option was just plain wrong, but his snarky post did not deserve a correction, only a rebuke. Which, of course, I gave him.
Here's a direct copy-and-paste taken straight from the Wiki information in post #7, which is your own post:
Quote:
Layout: Front engine, rear-wheel drive / four-wheel drive
The snarky and ill-informed really shouldn't go around calling others snarky ill-informed.

Now, do you have any tire advice for the OP? If not, now would be a good time to slink away.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Here's a direct copy-and-paste taken straight from the Wiki information in post #7, which is your own post:

The snarky and ill-informed really shouldn't go around calling others snarky ill-informed.

Now, do you have any tire advice for the OP? If not, now would be a good time to slink away.
Oh, that is the "option" you were referring to? Funny it doesn't mention an option. Is English a second language for you? I apologize if I have embarrassed you. I just thought you had read the Wiki article. Apparently not.

What it actually says is:

Quote:
It has two transmission options: a 5-speed manual or 4/5-speed automatic transmission (pre-2005 models have a 4 speed automatic, whilst 2005 Sorentos come with a 5 speed tip-tronic style automatic transmission). Sorentos are equipped with a Hyundai-manufactured 3.5L 24-valve DOHC V6 producing 192 hp (143 kW) at 5500 rpm, and 217 lb·ft (294 N·m) of torque @ 3,000 rpm. The Sorento is very capable off-road, with an automatic four-wheel drive system featuring low range gearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia