Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 AM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times

Advertisements

Its to late/early to call my local Hyundai. wanted to know if the warranty 10yr / 100k miles orig owner warranty covers the water pump

Getting a timing belt done today at another place at 730 am PST so I like to know if is should replace it or not. i have 67k miles its a 06 accent

thanks for your replies and help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
i would say the water pump would be covered by a powertrain warranty if it failed, but i doubt the manu would pay for it as a "convenience" if part of changing the belt... best bet would be to check with an area dealer, may find one open before 730

Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i would say the water pump would be covered by a powertrain warranty if it failed, but i doubt the manu would pay for it as a "convenience" if part of changing the belt... best bet would be to check with an area dealer, may find one open before 730
that makes a lot of sense thank you xo

Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 AM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Exactly!
While a failed water pump would be covered under that warranty, when you decide to replace a part proactively--as you should do with the water pump when you are changing the timing belt--the water pump is NOT covered.

Warranty coverage is for parts that have failed.
Proactive replacement of parts, no matter how good an idea that might be, is not covered, simply because you are opting to replace a part before it has failed.

Got it?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
What is the factory interval for timing belt replacement? 67k seems early on a 2006 car. In the last decade or so at least many intervals stretched to 90-105k.

If really it is a 60k interval, not sure I'd bother with water pump that early. Do it on the second one. But that's me. And if the factory change recommendation is later then don't let anyone talk you into doing the timing belt early!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 AM

Hyundai Accent car manual says replace TB at 60k if something happens the warranty will not cover and IF the TB goes on me I was told something with pistons would ruin the engine and I would need a new one. Its going to cost me $294 for the TM . Hyundai wanted to charge me about double if not more.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
i can say that some cars used to have clearance issues if a timing belt snapped so it was more critical to replace as required. So knowing that, and if the fee is "reasonable" i'd follow the recommendations if it was mine

Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
Hyundai Accent car manual says replace TB at 60k if something happens the warranty will not cover and IF the TB goes on me I was told something with pistons would ruin the engine and I would need a new one. Its going to cost me $294 for the TM . Hyundai wanted to charge me about double if not more.
Well then I guess you have to do it. I'm coming up on my second timing belt replacement myself, and my engine is the same way, possible damage if it breaks. (Some others the only problem when the belt breaks is that you get stranded.)

Still not sure I would put in a water pump at 60k though. The warranty question might be, if the water pump breaks before 100k will other damage to the engine because of that also be covered? I would think it would have to.

Certainly as the others said, if the water pump isn't broken it won't be covered for replacement now with the timing belt, but it should still be covered up to the 100k even after the timing belt is replaced once.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Read your warranty. General the water pump is covered, but the radiator isn't. Every manufacturer differs on that, however.

Change the water pump with the timing belt goes back to when the pumps were directly driven by the timing belt. It was convenience, plus the pumps didn't last as long then as they do now. On most vehicles, the water pumps are driven by an accessory belt. There's not much reason to change the water pump with the timing belt the first time. I had mine change on the Accord on the second timing belt (75k intervals on the Accord). The Mazda I have now has a timing chain. Usually what goes is the bearing, so coolant starts leaking and you can grab fan. Or you can grab the fan and pull on it to see if there's any play, that's either a loose belt or a bearing going out. The way most people know is there car starts overheating. It's not like a timing belt where it's going to send the pistons through the engine block... the only way you're really going to cause damage is if you just keep on driving ignoring that your engine is overheating.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Does the waterpump get pulled regardless? If so what is the cost of the part? I mean I have only changed one waterpump in my life and it was like $30 granted was some labor, and cost of fluids.

Id consider changing it if people are having issues. I assume its just subpar parts in the car. I think a timing belt is sign of that as the interval is only 60k miles.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia