Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are these dealerships all run buy wannabe mobsters and clowns? The Brad Benson guy in NJ, the guy with slicked back hair at Atlantic who does their commercials....

I know that car salesman are notoriously sleazy, especially around here, but it seems like these places are the bottom of the barrel. A friend of mine walked out of a Hyundai dealership here on LI when after 30 minutes the only price he could get out of them was $2,000 above what that trim level Santa Fe is listed for on the Hyundai website. All they kept talking about was payments....this was an offer to purchase.

When I test drove a few cars last year at another dealership, the salesman who weren't dealing with customers were talking like they were in a high school locker room after football practice...f***in' this, etc.

I see their cars on the road and browse their website and I'm very interested, but their dealerships all seem to be so shady.

Is buying a car ever going to become a process with less BS involved? Why don't the car companies just have factory stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would suggest a road trip to Westchester, as I know someone who purchased a Hyundai at Curry, and has had nothing but good things to say about the dealership. Having used one of their other franchises (Acura) for service, I can see that the reputation is warranted.

Some of the dealerships in the Tri-State area are very sleazy, I agree, so it pays to travel if you can get a good deal, but a dealership that is run as a business where you would not be worried about bringing a child -- and crude language in ear shot of a customer is something I would not tolerate.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I've been to awful dealers that specialize in just about any non-luxury make here in the Bay Area. The Ford and Nissan dealers I've tried to work with locally were sleazy too.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would suggest a road trip to Westchester, as I know someone who purchased a Hyundai at Curry, and has had nothing but good things to say about the dealership. Having used one of their other franchises (Acura) for service, I can see that the reputation is warranted.

Some of the dealerships in the Tri-State area are very sleazy, I agree, so it pays to travel if you can get a good deal, but a dealership that is run as a business where you would not be worried about bringing a child -- and crude language in ear shot of a customer is something I would not tolerate.

Thanks.

My only worry then would getting the warranty serviced at a dealer you didn't buy the car from.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Thanks.

My only worry then would getting the warranty serviced at a dealer you didn't buy the car from.
You can have the car warrantied at any Hyundai dealership in the country.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I bought my Hyundai from the dealer offering the best deal on the car I wanted. I get it serviced at a different dealer that has a better facility and better service procedures.

Staff, management, and operations will generally change over time so just take care of your own needs and don't worry too much about making a friend or even a regular relationship.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I bought my Hyundai from the dealer offering the best deal on the car I wanted. I get it serviced at a different dealer that has a better facility and better service procedures.

Staff, management, and operations will generally change over time so just take care of your own needs and don't worry too much about making a friend or even a regular relationship.
This! Dealerships aren't about making friends, they are about making money and your personal interests are generally to pay as little as possible for an identical product. I (and just about everyone else) generally hate the dealer visit particularly when it comes down to sitting down with the finance guy but my sole purpose is to get my car for as little as possible.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
The Hyundia Dealer here in Danbury always seems to have some gimmicks on the radio or newspaper where the give you $2000 more than trade in value on your old car, free gas or $0 money down lease or finance deals. The same people that own the Hyundai own the Jeep, Chrysler, Kia and Dodge dealer all in row. I stopped by their when I was looking for a new ride. I think I dealt with one of the managers who seemed like a moron, wasn't dressed professionally (since they weren't really open that day), and didn't gave me a card. He wanted to sell a car that was way above my budget, but would have a very low interest rate and a 10 year warranty.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

I bought a Honda from LI, NY and I have moved to NJ.
Even for warranty items, the first question the NJ dealer asked me was, "was the car purchased from us?"

Now the reason why I mention this, it is because in case you need a loaner car. If you need a loaner car and your car wasn't purchased from that dealer and it is not part of your warranty program, you are pretty much out of luck. Another thing is that some dealers do not have techs on staff on Saturdays. They only do oil changes and other simple work which was exactly what had happened in my case. If your issue is complex, your hands are pretty much tied as I am sure most here have jobs.

When I bought my new car, I knew I would be able to get a slightly better deal, but paid a little more and bought the car from my local dealership because of the loaner car issue.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
The Hyundia Dealer here in Danbury always seems to have some gimmicks on the radio or newspaper where the give you $2000 more than trade in value on your old car, free gas or $0 money down lease or finance deals. The same people that own the Hyundai own the Jeep, Chrysler, Kia and Dodge dealer all in row. I stopped by their when I was looking for a new ride. I think I dealt with one of the managers who seemed like a moron, wasn't dressed professionally (since they weren't really open that day), and didn't gave me a card. He wanted to sell a car that was way above my budget, but would have a very low interest rate and a 10 year warranty.
And what is with this "$5,000 check or $5,000 off the posted dealer price." that mush-mouthed d-bag Brad Benson is always talking about on the radio?

I'm assuming the "posted dealer price" is $5,000 above MSRP. The guys got a littany of complaints with the BBB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia