Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
We are in the market for a midsize CUV, and test drove the ’14 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T over the weekend. We both love the design and features available, as well as the price. However, we have a question about acceleration as we’ve never driven turbo cars before. The engine is a 2.0 turbo 4 cyl with 264 hp, and 269 lb of torque at 1750 rpm. When we tried to accelerate quickly (but not totally gunning it), the RPM raised quickly and the car had a jerk or lurch to it. Would that be considered turbo lag? If so, would I just need to learn the right amount of pedal pressure to apply when wanting to accelerate quickly, in order to avoid that jerk?

Our current cars are a Mazda 3 (4 cyl, 160 hp), and a Lexus IS250 (V6, 206 hp). When we put pedal to the floor in each of those cars, the car just goes without any noticable jerk. Incidentally, I once drove a friend’s Infiniti G37 coupe, which has a lot of power. I tried gunning it in that car, and remember the RPM climbing high and the car jerking. So maybe it’s just an issue for me with cars that have decent power?
Getting into turbo talk can get very deep quick.

Basically, Turbos on automatic cars are worthless. They arent more efficient, and are really unnecessary in most applications. Its also a Hyundai. I dont care how far theyve come over the last few years.

It sounds like you felt the crappy shifting in the automatic transmission. Turbos and autos are just a bad combination.

On top of the shifting, there is a tiny bit of lag. But on passenger cars, they are designed to make boost very early in RPMs.

This could be a novel in no time so Ill just leave this here for now.

This is lag, its a bad video but at 10 seconds, you can hear as the driver hits 3rd gear, theres a hesitation before the turbo kicks in and the rpms shoot up faster...
big 3rd gear turbo lag - YouTube

IMO, You dont need a turbo unless you drive a Saab, or any manual transmission car with a turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
^ Dude, you don't know what you are talking about. Turbos and automatic are a bad combo??? Really?? lol

Guess you don't know the Porsche 911 Turbo only comes in an automatic or the Bugatti Veyron or the GTR all use turbos and don't offer manuals. Fastest cars you can buy are turbos and automatic. Sure, they aren't 4 cylinders, but they are all using forced induction to add more HP.

Manuals are dead. Just like DVD players. Accept it, embrace it, move on.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post

Basically, Turbos on automatic cars are worthless. They arent more efficient, and are really unnecessary in most applications. Its also a Hyundai. I dont care how far theyve come over the last few years.

It sounds like you felt the crappy shifting in the automatic transmission. Turbos and autos are just a bad combination.

On top of the shifting, there is a tiny bit of lag. But on passenger cars, they are designed to make boost very early in RPMs.

This could be a novel in no time so Ill just leave this here for now.

IMO, You dont need a turbo unless you drive a Saab, or any manual transmission car with a turbo.
What's funny about your post is that it is based on such old technology.

Automatic transmissions can be an excellent match for turbos because it is easy to keep revs from dropping between shifts (which could cause a turbo to lose boost). Today's autos are almost always computer controlled - so that the timing of shifts can be programmed to match the characteristics of the turbo.

Any BMW made in the last few years with a 35i in the model number is a turbo, and most of them are automatics. It is regularly raved about for its smooth delivery of power.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,212 times
The head of quality control for Hyundai quit today.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
The head of quality control for Hyundai quit today.
Going over to GM?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Going over to GM?
GM needed it more

Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Ironic Statement of the Week Award nominee right here...

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Ok I figured out the issue. Someone suggested to me that the car's ECO mode may have been turned on during my test drive. That feature is supposed to limit aggressive driving and raise MPG. I went back in for another drive, and made sure the ECO setting was off. I had no jerking motion when I accelerated quickly. Power was smooth overall.

As a test, I turned ECO on, and drove like that. I instantly felt the jerk when accelerating quickly.

I told the salesman about it in case any other drivers complain about it.

Last edited by Go Blue 99; 11-18-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM

347 posts, read 649,943 times
I'm just speculating, so bear with me here.

You say this jerk occurs during ECO mode. Since a car gets the best mileage when the revs are low, perhaps the car's computer is telling the transmission to wait until the revs drop all the way down before engaging (as opposed to a "sport" mode, which would probably tell the transmission to engage near the torque peak). That jerk you feel might be the transmission disengaging, waiting for the revs to drop, and then re-engaging.

So it sounds like the problem is not turbo lag, but perhaps transmission lag.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Sounds like a transmission. There may be nothing mechanically wrong. The problem may lie with the software. I've driving some cars that shift hard causing a jerk and they weren't turbo. Turbo delay will kick in and throw you back into your seat hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia