Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We've had the 2014 Soul for over 2 years now and zero problems. I wish the tires would wear faster so I could get better all seasons for snow but they'll probably have another 10K miles on them before I can justify that.
If I were to replace this car I'd look at either a KIA Optima, a KIA Sportage or a Subaru Legacy or Crosstrek. Kia for the reliability nd build quality, Subaru for the AWD.

In four weeks, my 2014 Soul will be three years old and I am still quite happy with it. Turned 106K miles earlier this week and I had the 100K mile service over the Christmas holiday.

Replaced all four tires at that time, too.... two of them were original, the other two were Goodyears with about 50K miles on them..... the Goodyears were just as, if not more so, worn as the originals were.

I think I will be looking at Sportages and Sorrentos when the Soul has breathed its last!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 12:48 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
This will probably be my last post in this forum. I'm preparing to trade the 2012 Sportage EX in for a 2019 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid. There's nothing wrong with the car, and I think it'll make a great, reliable used car for someone, maybe a student.

The Sportage currently is at 120,000 miles. The body and interior still look fantastic. No drivability or mechanical problems, no leaks of any kind. I've never had a problem with a breakdown or being left stranded. I've spent just over $6000 for the life of the car on maintenance.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:04 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
My Optima LX is going on 6 years old and it's still running like a champ. I've gone on numerous road trips with it that exceeded 1,600 miles one way/3,200mi round trip. The distance you get out of a tank heavily depends on the quality of the gasoline you put in it. Putting premium unleaded doesn't yield much in performance or increased distance. It pretty much comes down to how little of that ethanol junk is in the gasoline. Stay away from 86 octane. Doesn't matter which brand it is. It sucks. In the tri-state region, stay away from Wawa gasoline or any other place that is priced extremely low per gallon. It's beyond awful. Sunoco and Royal Farms are the best ones to hit up for their 87 octane gasoline. Loves Travel Centers don't have bad gasoline. There's a Flying J in Jamestown, NM that is also located on a Navajo reservation. It's off of I-40, exit 39. I suspect there's no ethanol in their gasoline. I've gone from there to damn near Pasadena, CA on a full tank before. There was a slight performance boost in my car as well. I always made it a point to use as much gas as I could before refueling there.

I suspect many of the engine failures people are suffering may be due to their driving habits, treating their vehicle like it's some type of drag racer, and not keeping up on the maintenance, or recall work letters that are sent in the mail. I've also read some owners admitting they've driven their vehicle after the knocking sound began. You have to be dumb as F to think it's nothing and think it's fine to drive. Mine has had a couple of diagnostics tests done on the motor. It passed with flying colors and even received several compliments for being one of the best kept 2013's they've seen.

All in all, I plan on keeping my car. It won't be replaced anytime soon.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
My Optima LX is going on 6 years old and it's still running like a champ. I've gone on numerous road trips with it that exceeded 1,600 miles one way/3,200mi round trip. The distance you get out of a tank heavily depends on the quality of the gasoline you put in it. Putting premium unleaded doesn't yield much in performance or increased distance. It pretty much comes down to how little of that ethanol junk is in the gasoline. Stay away from 86 octane. Doesn't matter which brand it is. It sucks. In the tri-state region, stay away from Wawa gasoline or any other place that is priced extremely low per gallon. It's beyond awful. Sunoco and Royal Farms are the best ones to hit up for their 87 octane gasoline. Loves Travel Centers don't have bad gasoline. There's a Flying J in Jamestown, NM that is also located on a Navajo reservation. It's off of I-40, exit 39. I suspect there's no ethanol in their gasoline. I've gone from there to damn near Pasadena, CA on a full tank before. There was a slight performance boost in my car as well. I always made it a point to use as much gas as I could before refueling there.

I suspect many of the engine failures people are suffering may be due to their driving habits, treating their vehicle like it's some type of drag racer, and not keeping up on the maintenance, or recall work letters that are sent in the mail. I've also read some owners admitting they've driven their vehicle after the knocking sound began. You have to be dumb as F to think it's nothing and think it's fine to drive. Mine has had a couple of diagnostics tests done on the motor. It passed with flying colors and even received several compliments for being one of the best kept 2013's they've seen.

All in all, I plan on keeping my car. It won't be replaced anytime soon.
That test does absolutely nothing, it just means the engine is not likely to seize that particular day. It has nothing to do with the way you drive either.

I do believe many of the failures are due to the oil running too low, since many owners reported not seeing any oil on the dipstick after the knocking began. Most of those Theta II engines have severe oil consumption issues before hitting 100k miles.

Ditch the 5w-20 oil, it’s too thin. They aren’t even using it in the replacement engines, they’re using 5w-30 synthetic.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I don't think you'll hear a lot of negatives from people who ACTUALLY own them.

Both Kia and Hyundai have made major strides in recent years and are offering a lot of car for the money.

One dealer reluctantly admitted that Kia and Hyundai are doing in today's market what Toyota and Honda did 35 years ago.

They're offering more, backing it up, and building a loyal consumer base.
I used to feel this way, but decided to walk away from my car which had a sudden failure at only 105k miles (roughly) we loved our sportage until the day it died.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...es/2593375002/

Old 05-04-2019, 11:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I used to feel this way, but decided to walk away from my car which had a sudden failure at only 105k miles (roughly) we loved our sportage until the day it died.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...es/2593375002/
What year was it and what engine?

Old 05-08-2019, 04:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I have a 2018 Kia Soul, after a year of ownership and 25K KMs have had no problems to date. Am happy with the product.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 AM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times
2016 KIA Soul +
30k and no problems. Did a roadtrip from Fla to Boston going through Roanoke. Handled like a champ with plenty of acceleration. Averaged 30 mph. Excellent visibility with minimal blind spots. Seats aren't the best for lumbar support and the headrests suck, but overall, very pleased.

Dax

Old 07-21-2019, 05:04 PM

37 posts, read 84,055 times
Not an owner, but we were able to film a Stinger and recently a Sportage on the German Autobahn and their performances were pretty impressive, even of the Sportage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vXfBxdAYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt2qo8Uu3d4

Old 07-25-2019, 07:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Well I just traded in my pair of Kia Souls. Both 2014. A + with 42k and a ! with 76k... got 19k in trade for them... bought a 2020 Kia Soul GT Line Turbo.....stickered at a hair over 29k.. bought at 24k. Amazing car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia