Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Newsflash: you can change formats without paying anyone anything by ripping your CDs to whatever format is compatible on your device or car stereo for free.
And a News Flash to you!: I don't have the time....or the desire....to sit and rip 300-400 CD's to another format! You must have an awful lot of free time on your hands. Maybe you need a hobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Not only that, but you can upload it to Google Play Music and have an instant streaming library of your very own.
Again.......if you've got 5 or 6 CD's, that's just fine. When you have an entire library.......you've GOT to be kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I play CD's in my car daily. But I'm a specialized customer since I have a large collection of classical music, and the best performers are sometimes on small, foreign indie labels. So no DD.

Oh, and my work laptop has no audio drive. I bought an external one.
I'm with you. I don't listen to much classical, but I have a rather off-beat taste in music. I, too, play CD's in my car daily. Not only that, but having a tangible object is always better than just having a file in some kind of player. What file has liner notes, and info on each track?

I was glad when they got rid of 8-tracks and cassettes, as those had very inferior sound and deteriorated rapidly. CD's on the other hand have good sound (not as good as vinyl or reel-to-reel, but those are not exactly convenient). I have no intention of giving up my CD library until forced to do so.

Unfortunately, we seem to be at the mercy of those who want to have the "latest gadget", whether it's superior or not.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
There are some current Makes/ models that deleted CD player already...like the Dodge Ram
They won't be seeing me buying their cars.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
And a News Flash to you!: I don't have the time....or the desire....to sit and rip 300-400 CD's to another format! You must have an awful lot of free time on your hands. Maybe you need a hobby!
It doesn't take an excruciating amount of time to put a CD in your computer and click a button. Maybe you need time management tips!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I remember my grandfather having an 8-track deck in his car.

I have a CD player, but rarely use it. Most of my music is on my phone now.
I had a 8 track in my first new car a 1974 Ford Pinto. Also had a 8 track player at my parents house. I thought they were great at that time. Easier to carry than albums. Also I thought a beeper was cool, I guess my age is showing.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 PM

13,655 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It doesn't take an excruciating amount of time to put a CD in your computer and click a button. Maybe you need time management tips!
Neither does it take an excruciating amount of time to hand-crank an engine; or to operate a manual choke; or to periodically readjust the timing. But new technology has allowed us to dispense with those things.

Sometimes, however, new technology churns for churning's sake. Instead of simplifying our lives, the changes introduce new frustrations and new labors. Yes, I can "rip" (or whatever is the newfangled lingo) my CDs onto some other format, but why should I have to make this adaptation?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Neither does it take an excruciating amount of time to hand-crank an engine; or to operate a manual choke; or to periodically readjust the timing. But new technology has allowed us to dispense with those things.

Sometimes, however, new technology churns for churning's sake. Instead of simplifying our lives, the changes introduce new frustrations and new labors. Yes, I can "rip" (or whatever is the newfangled lingo) my CDs onto some other format, but why should I have to make this adaptation?
Because the march of technology doesn't screech to a halt just for you. If it makes you feel better though, cars these days have an auxiliary jack where you can plug in your Discman and still fumble around for whatever disc you're after. As for me, I'll gladly cope with the "frustrations and labors" of clicking a mouse button to have the convenience of my entire music collection in my pocket wherever I go and to be able to just tell my car, "play album Magical Mystery Tour."

Old 01-28-2015, 12:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
It's curious.

People might think it is insanity for what I do in video:
Has anyone gone from messy to clean?

but if it is audio, it seems like it is okay, the norm.

Two things.

First of all, I don't spend that much time converting LP's, cassettes to a digital format. It might be because I have yet to develop procedures with the equipment I have to get up to speed or there is that point that analog is the original music while digital is a computer interpretation of the music.

Second, recognize that a lot of the "local" music still comes in CD. Be it Tartanic, Celtic, Belly Dancing, Circa Paleo, or whoever, when they are out there playing, they are selling CD's, not an address where to download their music.

Just as there are still people who wear watches despite smartphones, there are still people who use CD's.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It's curious.

People might think it is insanity for what I do in video:
Has anyone gone from messy to clean?

but if it is audio, it seems like it is okay, the norm.

Two things.

First of all, I don't spend that much time converting LP's, cassettes to a digital format. It might be because I have yet to develop procedures with the equipment I have to get up to speed or there is that point that analog is the original music while digital is a computer interpretation of the music.

Second, recognize that a lot of the "local" music still comes in CD. Be it Tartanic, Celtic, Belly Dancing, Circa Paleo, or whoever, when they are out there playing, they are selling CD's, not an address where to download their music.

Just as there are still people who wear watches despite smartphones, there are still people who use CD's.
I'm not quite sure what your point is. Your analogy of converting an analog format to a digital format is inapplicable. That is indeed a very tedious and time-consuming process.

However, CDs are already a digital format. That makes it a snap to convert a CD into another digital format that is compatible with modern playback devices, be it your smartphone, your iPod, or your car stereo. Using software already included on Windows (and probably Apple) computers, you can convert an entire CD to .wav, .mp3, .flac, .wma., or whatever, in 2 minutes or less.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
I was going to ***** and moan about this, then I thought it wasn't too long ago I was wishing for a radio that didn't have a cd drive for my car. All it had was an am/fm radio, and you could hook it up to a computer, and upload music to it. Sony actually had something like that in the mid 00's, it had a removable harddrive you kept in the back of your car. Supposedly it was prone to failure. I love cd's, still listen to them sometimes, I really only keep them as a back up. I either burn copies, or put the music on a solid state media device, as to not ruin them.

After having a car broke in to, I don't like keeping things in my car. I still don't care cor these non cd playing infotainment systems, I wish they would go back to regular head units not tied in to the entire electrical system, like some advanced action movie bomb. I wouldn't use any of the crap it can do anyway, I say get rid of it all, and simply have a phone dock, but they would find a way to ruin that idea. Personally I don't like a lot of this convenience tech designed for convenience sake, I use gps like a map, I could care less about satelite radio, as long as it has to be paid for, I only use bluetooth as a quicker way to transer files with my phone, when texting is made redundant(other party is in the same house), or using my laptop that has bluetooth, versus the other two(newer ones) that don't. It uses up too much battery to be synicing it to a car, and I don't like using the phone driving i anyway, especially when it involves not lisening to music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia