Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Check with GPS and you might be surprised to find out they're both wrong.
Pretty much. My 2013 Sonata is about 2 to 5 miles off when you use GPS vs what is displayed on the dash.

If I remember correctly, I had my cruise set at 80, GPS said I was doing 77.

Either way, most speedometer are off so the dealer won't be able to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 08:23 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Pretty much. My 2013 Sonata is about 2 to 5 miles off when you use GPS vs what is displayed on the dash.

Really? I'm learning something new every day. That's pretty discouraging. Ill try my GPS on my phone.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Yep, my 2012 Sonata is the same way, if I set my cruise to 65 my GPS says I'm going 63.

OP, I hate to burst your bubble, but the dealer will likely tell you there's nothing they can do, it's normal. Most of those service techs don't know how to do much if it isnt written out on a computer screen.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
They do, yes. The temp display is fixed and id rather not look at the mpg readout either. I get pretty OCD about that. Besides, the dial speedometer is to the right side of my steering wheel and in order to view it I need to crane my head to the left. Is rather just look down and view my mph. Less distraction, less time my eyes leave the road.
I just helped my MIL buy one 2015 Sonata and I have to admit I did not notice the speedometer was to the right of the steering wheel.. I thought there was a tachometer there.. The temperature readout wasn't fixed but was one of several information readouts the driver could toggle through with the "mode" button on the steering wheel. Maybe your model is different than mine.

I did notice that the instrument cluster lights seemed bright at night.. even at the lowest setting which bugged me a bit. Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yep, my 2012 Sonata is the same way, if I set my cruise to 65 my GPS says I'm going 63.

OP, I hate to burst your bubble, but the dealer will likely tell you there's nothing they can do, it's normal. Most of those service techs don't know how to do much if it isnt written out on a computer screen.
Fair enough. Its worth a shot though I think.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I just helped my MIL buy one 2015 Sonata and I have to admit I did not notice the speedometer was to the right of the steering wheel.. I thought there was a tachometer there.. The temperature readout wasn't fixed but was one of several information readouts the driver could toggle through with the "mode" button on the steering wheel. Maybe your model is different than mine.

I did notice that the instrument cluster lights seemed bright at night.. even at the lowest setting which bugged me a bit. Sorry couldn't be more helpful.
On the '16 Sonata, the temp readout was fixed. I havnt had any issues with the cluster lights being too bright, however, there is an led positioned on the ceiling, so at night it gets annoying.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
On the '16 Sonata, the temp readout was fixed. I havnt had any issues with the cluster lights being too bright, however, there is an led positioned on the ceiling, so at night it gets annoying.
I don't understand the little LED light either, I guess it's there to provide light to the console area, but it's not really bright enough for that, so it's useless IMO.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I don't understand the little LED light either, I guess it's there to provide light to the console area, but it's not really bright enough for that, so it's useless IMO.
Yup. I actually dislike it and I heard other Sonata owners put painters tape over it. I wish that we could change the color to red if we can't turn it off. Oh well.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:02 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Really? I'm learning something new every day. That's pretty discouraging. Ill try my GPS on my phone.
Yeah, I remember reading in Motor Trend that most speedometers are 3-5 miles off from the factory due to tires and other issues from the factory.

Most likely, the dealership will say you are still in the acceptable range for deviation
Quote:
Yep, it was interesting on my last trip a couple weeks back. It would explain why when I expected the cops to come out after me but they stayed in the cut out.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Just bought myself a new 2017 Sonata Thursday. Didn't notice any discrepancies between digital read out and the dial speedometer. I look at the digital mainly but have no problem reading the dial. The tach is on the left side of the dash. The temp gauge is fixed. There are two different styles of dash displays, "A" and "B". My Sonata has style "A".

Next time I go out, I will have to check the speeds of both! In Charlotte County, I have heard they will bag you for even 1mph over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia