Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDHkfn2A1U8

This is "Fifth Gear" team test of the Kia Pro_Cee'd GT which has the 1.6L Turbo with 201 HP and manual transmission. Other than styling and two less doors, it's basicly the Forte5. Look at the grins on the faces of these three race car drivers (three of the four host are former race car drivers). The young guy isn't a race car driver and he also loved it saying it was easy to drive fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Have you used the seat height adjustment to pump it up for you? At least I presume there's one in the sedan. Those are more bare bones than the hatch and koup.

Yes, I have it as high as it goes and the seat pulled forward as far as possible. If my airbag goes off I'm a goner.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The 1.6L turbo with 200 HP is fine for a sporty daily driver today, but to be competitive in the "hot hatch" segment it needs more. It needs four wheel independent suspension tuned for performance handling, larger brake rotors at all four corners, and more power. Hyundai/Kia's current 2.0L turbo would be a good fit to make it competitive as a hot hatch. Problem is the hot hatch segment is not only saturated, it's also low volume. The sporty daily driver hot hatch is a nice balance. What I don't understand is why is it the 1.6L turbo makes such good fuel economy and acceleration on the Sonata/Optima Eco so shouldn't those numbers be better on the Elantra/Forte with the same engine set up? The Elantra GT (hatchback) and Forte5 are both nice platforms for a hot daily driver hatch. For the possible 2.0L turbo true hot hatch I'd import the Kia Pro'Ceed two door hatch. It would compete directly with the two door GTI. Top Gear tested the Kia Pro'Ceed and loved it's performance.
Yeah I see it referred to more as a "warm hatch". I had a GTI before this. It's nearly a GTI for a small fraction of the price.

I have a running average of 29mpg in mine, all city(or whatever you call suburbs+city driving). Lots of stoplights/signs speed limits under 55, usually 35. The Sonata/Optima is detuned and slower to get the better mpg. They're also notorious for needing to be broken in before making full power which can skew new car reviews.

Aftermarket rear anti roll bar made a dramatic difference in handling.

Plenty of tuners out there running a stage 1 tune that bumps it to 241hp/235ft-lbs and adds up to 15% better mileage. But I'm too concerned about warranty to do that. This is just my fun daily commuter after all.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:55 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Yeah I see it referred to more as a "warm hatch". I had a GTI before this. It's nearly a GTI for a small fraction of the price.

I have a running average of 29mpg in mine, all city(or whatever you call suburbs+city driving). Lots of stoplights/signs speed limits under 55, usually 35. The Sonata/Optima is detuned and slower to get the better mpg. They're also notorious for needing to be broken in before making full power which can skew new car reviews.

Aftermarket rear anti roll bar made a dramatic difference in handling.

Plenty of tuners out there running a stage 1 tune that bumps it to 241hp/235ft-lbs and adds up to 15% better mileage. But I'm too concerned about warranty to do that. This is just my fun daily commuter after all.
Look up Hyundai N performance brand. They're testing an I30 with 300 hp 2L turbo motor. Possibly 260 hp at production.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:15 PM

528 posts, read 823,696 times
We have had our Forte 5 for 2 weeks now and other than the cheap hubcaps we are very happy with the car. Pretty much a base model but, it 's perfect for our daily driver needs. Averaging right around 32 mpg's so far and the 2.0 174hp n/a four is plenty peppy. For such a small car it feels much bigger.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:30 PM

And back to the OP, still no news on the 2017 Forte5 and Koup. Still just saying 4th quarter of this year.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:35 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
And back to the OP, still no news on the 2017 Forte5 and Koup. Still just saying 4th quarter of this year.
Looks like Kia has updated their website and the 2017 forte5 is up now. I'm still disappointed that if you get the premium (upgraded audio etc) package on the sx trim you get those leather seats with the orange inserts. I still think they look very "boy racer". Maybe if they were red because then they'd match the red grill insert but orange seems strange. Anyways, otherwise it looks like a great car.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:42 AM

And while it's nice that you can get the top trim with a manual, it would be nice that you could get it without that as well.

Puts the cheapest MSRP of a manual SX at $27k...which puts it in some stiff competition for professional reviews. Even if in reality no one would be paying anywhere near that if they had a single negotiating bone in their body.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I realized after I bought it that it does not have cruise control which I like to use to avoid the speed traps. But overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It does have some wind noise issues at the driver's side window but I will address that with Kia when I bring it in for its first oil change.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I realized after I bought it that it does not have cruise control which I like to use to avoid the speed traps. But overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It does have some wind noise issues at the driver's side window but I will address that with Kia when I bring it in for its first oil change.
Did you buy the base forte? I can't believe they didn't include cruise control. Stuff like that blows my mind that it's not a normal included option but I guess some people just aren't interested in having it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia