Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:15 PM

293 posts, read 570,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
We have 130K on our Sonata, and the only serious problem we had was a hub bearing go bad, which was replaced under warranty at 25K miles.

Now, come again?
...and I have a friend who had an '04 Elantra which kept giving her transmission problems before she just let it go...point I was trying to make is that we will see within the next say 10 years how these cars will hold up. I had a 1990 Geo Prizm (Toyota under the hood) which had over 200K miles on it before I let it go in '05...and it could still go!!!!

Maybe Hyundai will hold up over the long haul...we will see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I also had a Geo (1990 Geo Prizm GSi) that was reliable for the most part, but also had tranny problems (auto). It wouldnt engage reverse many times, which was a whole lot of fun in the morning when I had to go wake up someone in my family to help me push it backwards out of the driveway. It also put major dampers anytime I went shopping somewhere. I had to park out in the boonies where noone would park in front of me... meanwhile our Sonata has 130K miles on it and the tranny has never once hiccuped. Neither has the V6 engine.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Genesis, car of the year? More like POS of the year.

People are ranting and raving over this boring appliance. Hyundai even admitted that the styling is basic and non-polarizing (i.e. Bland) because they want to appeal to a larger public audience.

With so many nicer choices out there, like the Mustang GT, Camaro, 3-series, or lightly-used 911s and Corvettes, I can't understand why someone would choose this car as their "Sports Car".

The last beautiful Asian car built was the NSX, and I'm afraid there won't be another one for a long time.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik151 View Post
Genesis is pretty amazing. Hyundai and Kia are on mission for greatness. They made it a goal to match Toyota for reliability and that they have, but who would've thought they would surpass them in exciting, emotional design so easily. You won't see anything like the Genesis Coupe at Toyota or Honda. Unlike it's Japanese competitors, Hyundai may have achieved creating a performance car with soul.

the stole alot of it design from the G37 it look identical in that pic they will sell if the are cheap but if they want more than a new mustang GT when they have the new 5.0 out then its not worth it. the Genesis Coupe starts at 32K the new 412HP mustang will be in that range

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-16-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Genesis, car of the year? More like POS of the year.

People are ranting and raving over this boring appliance. Hyundai even admitted that the styling is basic and non-polarizing (i.e. Bland) because they want to appeal to a larger public audience.

With so many nicer choices out there, like the Mustang GT, Camaro, 3-series, or lightly-used 911s and Corvettes, I can't understand why someone would choose this car as their "Sports Car".

The last beautiful Asian car built was the NSX, and I'm afraid there won't be another one for a long time.

Someone's still hurt that Honda doesn't make any decent cars anymore... Did you bump a year-old thread just to cry about it some more?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
a mustang with the trac pac and 5.0 and 6-speed manual tranny it comes in at 31K and it only weights 100 pounds more than the Genesis and should be faster than the 6.2 liter 422 HP camaro SS and blow the doors off the really expensive challenger SRT8 6.1 425HP hemi and it cost 31K to have serious muslce car that can run wit the other modren muscle cars and get it for less than a Genesis it is a great performance buy and the trac pac makes it decent in corners if I did not have my GTO paid off and my car puts out close performance the mustang is some serious muscle for a decent price plus with a few bolt-ons and suspension mods and some larger brakes from the GT500 you could have a badass car with 12-15K in mods and have it dyno tuned for performance and get and maybe get it into the 450HP range if i already did not own the GTO I could see me getting this new stang heres the 2011 mach 1

Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
a mustang with the trac pac and 5.0 and 6-speed manual tranny it comes in at 31K and it only weights 100 pounds more than the Genesis and should be faster than the 6.2 liter 422 HP camaro SS and blow the doors off the really expensive challenger SRT8 6.1 425HP hemi and it cost 31K to have serious muslce car that can run wit the other modren muscle cars and get it for less than a Genesis it is a great performance buy and the trac pac makes it decent in corners if I did not have my GTO paid off and my car puts out close performance the mustang is some serious muscle for a decent price plus with a few bolt-ons and suspension mods and some larger brakes from the GT500 you could have a badass car with 12-15K in mods and have it dyno tuned for performance and get and maybe get it into the 450HP range if i already did not own the GTO I could see me getting this new stang heres the 2011 mach 1
Drools.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I also had a Geo (1990 Geo Prizm GSi) that was reliable for the most part, but also had tranny problems (auto). It wouldnt engage reverse many times, which was a whole lot of fun in the morning when I had to go wake up someone in my family to help me push it backwards out of the driveway. It also put major dampers anytime I went shopping somewhere. I had to park out in the boonies where noone would park in front of me... meanwhile our Sonata has 130K miles on it and the tranny has never once hiccuped. Neither has the V6 engine.
Update on the Sonata...

I had a typo I guess? Probably meant 103K miles at the time. We have a little over 121K right now, the problems with this car are getting troublesome and tiresome. Of course, the warranty is out.

*more hub bearing issues. Driver's side is humming pretty bad.
*brake master cylinder is junk.
*rear d/s window regulator broke
*center console lights flicker on and off
*license plate light harness is faulty
*CD player/radio bit the dust. Would scan on its own, turn on power on its own, LCD screen went out...

Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
We have a 2000 Hyundai Accent 2 door with the 5 speed manuel transmission that has 118,000 miles on it and had yet to have any major problems. The only thing we have ever done is oil changes, tune ups and brake pads and shoes. We replaced the timing belt at 60,000 miles because it was recomended and found out that we could have put that off as well. Here is a car that you can get for under $10,000 for the base model and around $15,000 for the top of the line 2010 Accent. I like how the Genesis looks but as others have stated comparing the price to the Mustang, I would pick the Mustang.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:22 AM

107 posts, read 614,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Toyota used to be very reliable. Unfortunately they decided, like Mercedes, they were too reliable and started cutting corners.
Would you please clarify what do you mean exactly? I've heard that stance a couple of times recently and did't get clue what this is all about. How can an auto manufacturer decide that its cars are too reliable? Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia