Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

I have owned five Hyundai's and three KIA's I will no longer buy any car not built in a UAW plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I'm personally a big fan of that design. The previous Sonata looked way too pedestrian, and there were too many complaints about the rear resembling a Gen 7 Accord. Seems like now the Sonata is coming into its own. To me, it's almost on par with the Mazda 6 in terms of aggressive look. There needs to be a coupe version!!!
Obviously it's based on the Genesis platform and RWD...but I think the Genesis Coupe visually resembles the new Sonata(or vice versa) more so than it does the Genesis Sedan that it's linked to:

Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
I predict they won't be able to keep up with demand for that Sonata.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:46 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I need to se on in person, but based on the pictures, I don't like the exterior styling. Too much going on at once.
I thought the same thing until I saw it in person. Believe me it looks much better in the flesh.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Remember these are front wheel drive cars also; too many horses and you get wicked torque steer. The previous revisions of the V6 Altima were literally undriveable when opening up the throttle because of this issue. Same problem with the Maxima.

I don;t see a problem as my wifes toyota has like 220 hp and is smooth as a cat.The oen thiong i have heard negative is getting that warrnty mad egood at their dealers and even when going to the company. know several who got rid of them for that reason as a warranty is only as good as the company really.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
I thought the same thing until I saw it in person. Believe me it looks much better in the flesh.

I need to see one in the flesh. You folks have me very curious now.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don;t see a problem as my wifes toyota has like 220 hp and is smooth as a cat.
Torque steer isn't an issue if that power is never put to use. HP doesn't come into play until the engine is well past 4k rpm. Floor it, and you'll realize why many folks deride "high performance" in FWD cars.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Yeah, but American consumers keep demanding more horses, and that's what manufacturers provide.

The Nissan Stanza in the early 90's had 138 hp, which became 150 in the Altima, then 155, then 175, and now it offers a 245 horsepower six.

So Nissan basically stuffed a V6 from a full sized car (the Maxima) into a compact/midsize and has JUST NOW figured out how to deal with the torque steer!

In the rest of the industrialized world, cars are recognized as a huge waste of resources, and they rely on public transportation for the most part, and buy small cars if they must because of much higher gas charges.

I wish we did the same: much less sprawl, less wasted gas, much shorter commutes, but we like everything big. It's really pathetic when you think about it. The excess, that is.

You know, it's really laughable when people complain about their commute, or rude drivers, or whatever.

The tale of the construction worker:

A construction worker would complain every lunch break: "I hate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!"

His co-workers finally asked: "why don't you just ask your old lady to make you another sandwich?"

The worker replied: "what are you talking about? I make my own sandwiches!"

Our problems are really of our own making, so it's really ridiculous to complain about them when we have no intention of changing the structure of transportation which is at the very root.
Dude this forum is primarily for people who LIKE cars and enjoy driving them. If you want to discuss public transportation or sprawl you're better off in the "greenie" forum.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's a turbo version in the pipeline, with output estimates in the 260HP range. That'll take care of those wanting V6 power, plus it will probably have more torque than the outgoing V6. You might still consider this going "backwards" but it's part of a trend made necessary by increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy regulations. Everyone from Ford and GM on up to BMW is downsizing engines and making up most of the power difference with turbocharging, as the advent of direct injection gasoline engines has finally allowed turbocharging without significant loss in fuel economy.
American car companies don't have a very good reputation building turbocharged 4cyl engines, every one I can think of has been unreliable (especially in hotter areas). If they start bringing too many of these turbos out at once they will end up having huge quality problems I'm afraid.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
American car companies don't have a very good reputation building turbocharged 4cyl engines, every one I can think of has been unreliable (especially in hotter areas).
It's not a matter of which company, but the design ... older turbochargers were strictly oil cooled, so if you didn't give it a chance to spin down before shutting down, they would literally cook themselves in crappy dino juice. They died in American cars, they died in Japanese cars, they died in European cars.

With the advent of water cooled turbos in the late 80's (which was about when the big 3 ceased offering them), this minimized the effect. Likewise, low pressure turbos that are more atypical these days aren't stressed as much either.

My Volvo is turbocharged ... 221k miles on the factory Garrett T25, and the only reason why I replaced it was to get a bigger one. I sold to a guy who added it to his normally aspirated, and though he's since grenaded the stock transmission, the turbo is still doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia