Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:42 AM

121 posts, read 737,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

Idaho Falls High School has one of less than 10 Drumlines, in Idaho. The person who started the organization at I.F. High now writes musci professionally for drum lines. I'll try to find that information to print, as many kids were influenced by the movie of the same name.

Likewise, many parents are dumbfounded to find an actual Drumline has been established for several years (and getting better as they perform for the girls basketball and other events) at I.F. High School. I wish another school would do the same to give more students the opportunity of a Drumline.
That's great. I didn't realize there was even an interest in that sort of thing around here. Drum lines and corps are very popular elsewhere in the country but have always been pretty much ignored in eastern Idaho. We had the DCI (Drum Corps International) tour come through and do a show in Rexburg a couple summers ago. It was a great show even though there were only six corps there. From listening to comments people were making it seemed nobody had the slightest idea what DCI was about. They had never seen a show. But they ended up being very impressed afterwards! Those shows can get a lot of kids interested in participating in music programs that wouldn't have considered it otherwise.

DCI website:
Drum Corps International :: Marching Music's Major Leagueâ„¢

For anyone interested in checking out DCI, the 2007 world finals will be broadcast on ESPN Sept 5th at 10pm eastern, 7 pacific. Not sure about mountain. I'll check the cable schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Thumbs up Synergy Drumline at Idaho Falls High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
That's great. I didn't realize there was even an interest in that sort of thing around here. Drum lines and corps are very popular elsewhere in the country but have always been pretty much ignored in eastern Idaho. We had the DCI (Drum Corps International) tour come through and do a show in Rexburg a couple summers ago. It was a great show even though there were only six corps there. From listening to comments people were making it seemed nobody had the slightest idea what DCI was about. They had never seen a show. But they ended up being very impressed afterwards! Those shows can get a lot of kids interested in participating in music programs that wouldn't have considered it otherwise.

DCI website:
Drum Corps International :: Marching Music's Major Leagueâ„¢

For anyone interested in checking out DCI, the 2007 world finals will be broadcast on ESPN Sept 5th at 10pm eastern, 7 pacific. Not sure about mountain. I'll check the cable schedule.

Hi CafeDelSol,

Glad to have you post here. Isn't it amazing all the things that are going on in I.F. and even people who have lived here for a while don't necessarily know?

I'm glad you re-addressed this subject. I've been able to get a couple of links and one is to the Idaho Falls Kiwanis Club Idaho Teen Film Festival, held in April 2007.

First, I should clarify the Idaho Falls High School Drumline is officially named, "Synergy Drumline."

One of the brief films made for the teen film festival was a documentary/promotional for Synergy Drumline. It won the top documentary award for the teen film festival. And what is even better is people can see brief interviews and a little bit of the Synergy Drumline playing in this documentary. It is less than 3 minutes long, but impressive to think of what the film makers as well as Synergy Drumline had to do to complete this entry.

This is the link:

Idaho Falls Kiwanis Club

The entry is : "Synergy Drumline" submitted by Jordan Hurley and John Meyers.
School & Grade: Idaho Falls High School, 10th grade
Description of Film: This film is an action-paced documentary and promotional film demonstrating the incomparable quality of the IFHS Synergy Drumline
Run Time: 2:18" - - from the I.F. Kiwanis website.

ENJOY! And if you are interested, I know in articles both in the Post Register and in Idaho Falls Magazine, Synergy hopes to get more drumlines in more schools. So if your high school doesn't offer this and you have teens who are interested, contact both your high school principal's office/music department. Also, contact Idaho Falls High School and ask if there is a direct contact for Synergy Drumline. I don't have a contact person or know how to reach this drumline except via I.F.H.S. However, if I am able to find contact info, or if someone knows it, please share it.

I know there are a few drumlines in schools in the Treasure Valley. I can't remember if it was Madison or Blackfoot School District that also established this very skilled group.

Very honestly, since we are often asked about how minorities are received in Idaho Falls, I recommend watching the video. Not only is an African American male part of the drumline, but so are two females.

Nice job Idaho Falls High School and the Advisors and Musicians who have made this drumline what it has become today.

Thanks again, CDS, for highlighting this entertaining group again. I know they perform for Idaho Falls High School Girls Basketball Games. While they received many other invitations to perform last year, this is the one commitment I know they have made and keep. They add additional appearances, I believe at wrestling (sometimes) and by invitation to other events. But, I don't have any specific info about when those shows are.
They are all in high school, so they can't appear as often as they are being invited to perform.

What a chance for Skyline, Hillcrest or Bonneville to step up to the plate and form their own drumline. IMO, it would make the opportunities, activities and experiences for local teens better. Perhaps someday - someone will attempt a drumline with those in Jr. High. - well it would have to be a very, very dedicated teacher/advisor, given the age and extra energy many in this age group possess!

CDS - please don't be a stranger here. We are going to keep this thread open throughout the year to educate visitors, as well as new and "seasoned residents" about what is happening in Idaho Falls. Please continue to add what you know is happening and where, and encourage anyone else you know who posts here to do the same.

I'm looking forward to you posting the time of the ESPN event. Per chance, CDS, if you or others know anyone in Synergy Drumline (or has been a member of Synergy), please ask them to post here. We'll open a new thread.

Wouldn't it be cool for parents looking for what to do in eastern ID to run across a thread written mostly by Synergy Drumline members, or family members (former member) and advisors? If anyone has any connections, please ask if someone would write a basic new thread about Synergy.

A Drumline in Idaho Falls......... NO. YES!

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-25-2007 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Post Visit INL and Learn a Fraction of the Programs Being Developed Worked on Locally

One activity to do in, or near Idaho Falls on most days, is to take a tour of INL. Many residents who have lived in the area for decades have never entered any INL property "at the site," let alone those who have recently relocated. Why not learn what programs and missions INL is working on?

Currently, one program will ultimately help each of us who has every or will post on this site: Cyberspace Security. That mission isn't necessarily given a lot of press, but it is indeed attracking some of the brightest people in the industry to create the programs and levels of protection we must have.

I can't think of anywhere on the Internet as a user that I acknolwedge the safer and evolving safer use of the Internet has come from our own INL. While this is just one example, why not learn more about it?

The wind in Idaho, calm compared to many locations, is also an area of study for renewable energy. I was reminded of that by a post this a.m. in a different thread.

Here's the link: Idaho National Laboratory. Spend some time learning what you or your family may have a greater interest in knowing about and then contact INL to request a tour.

Many projects are classified and can't accomodate visitors. But, some aren't. Learning about CAES and the universities involved, such as MIT, South Carolina, Oregon, Ohio etc. working will INL on projects, let alone the Regional Alliance of Universities can be very educational for someone new to the area. Who knows, if you've moved from far away, you may find some from your alma mater who work at INL too.

Information can be shared there that many of us don't know, or don't know well enough, or can't explain so you can better understand what new jobs are coming to Idaho Falls due to CAES and why one business park in particular has already been partially built to accomodate the companies who will be moving in from elsewhere in the U.S., or potentially a couple of other countires.

Ask about British Nuclear Fuel's roll at INL and for how long.

Even if you don't like science, INL has many projects. But, perhaps more importantly, if you are new to the area you can see why the Idaho Falls area is much more tolerant of different views, different races etc. that many state or claim it is (undocumented, their opinions only), when you see from how many different areas of the world and the U.S. scientists, researchers in other fields etc. relocate to Idaho Falls to work with INL.

And, you can learn what Idaho's chances are of landing 1-3 portions of the GNEP program, when it is awarded next year.

If you take the tour, please write in this thread what you were able to see. It most certainly would help others. Visitors passing through can also take tours.

I don't know if you can request a tour that focus on more of what INL does in one of their major areas of research and application or not. If someone could tell us, that would be great.

Here's the link for scheduling a tour: INL - Visitor Information

I must say, I've never seen the collection of information about the area and how to learn more, like this webpage for which I've just listed the link. It's nice to see that they have added this extensive info!

This may not compare in "fun" to the Snake River Roaring Youth Jam, or skiing etc., but this may be a day very well invested when learning what univerisites throughout the U.S. are collaborating with INL, how INL is menotring small businesses (and begging people to start more so they can sub-contract out certain document work etc.). It may be a day that changes a lot of your experience in Idaho Falls as you may not have known what is headed our way with CAES, or what new small businesses INL wants to see grow etc.

Please let us know what you learn, if you are able to tour part of INL.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Cool Pampering Time

I was going to write about day spas here today, but that subject got picked up yesterday by others in different threads. Hopefully, those looking for that information received it from PMs.

Please correct me if I wrong (anyone), but I believe there are three major Day Spas in Idaho Falls. If you would like the name of the one I'd recommend, please send me a PM. Cleosmom and others also would have good ideas.

I don't know if any of the newest residents made it to the concert on the Greenbelt today or not. There is also another one tomorrow night in the Alive after Five activity.

This week is full of baseball in Idaho Falls, but several different teams as the Chukars get ready for the Playoffs.

Finally, there are numerous, licensed massage therapists in town who are fully trained in the various techniques. If you want to pamper yourself or a loved one, you might think about getting a massage. I know one couple who routinely does this as a "date night" one time each month.

PLEASE share any info you can if you pursue either the Day Spas or Massage Therapist. Much like large cities, many massage therapists will either come to your location or have you visit their office.

ENJOY pampering in your new home, if you have just moved to Idaho Falls, or if you may be visiting.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:08 PM

The Eastern Idaho State Fair starts tomorrow. How about some with a lot of experience enjoying different food, rides, entertainment etc. writing about it here?

Have a safe and Happy Labor Day Wekkend .

Old 08-31-2007, 04:32 PM

Thumbs up So Much to Do This Weekend.

cleosmom reminded us, in a separate post, there are only TWO (2) Chukars home games left this year. Tonight and tomorrow, I believe. Idaho Falls Chukars: Home. I'm not sure if the playoff schedule is on the website or not.

Also, if you haven't seen the traveling exhibit, "Ink and Blood" at the Museum of Idaho, it closes on Monday. Check it out at www..museumofidaho.org (broken link).

Hopefully, others will post part of what is going on this weekend. There are so many activities, family gatherings, frazzled parents get school supplies late etc.

PLEASE share with us what your plans are for this Labor Day Weekend. And PLEASE, check the burning permit status, given this extremely dry weather - we don't want any more fires.

Also, I believe the Farmer's Market continues on Sat. a.m. Anyone with more accurate info, please write it here.

Have fun, but please be safe!

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-31-2007 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Added URL

Old 09-03-2007, 03:06 AM

Cool Eastern Idaho State Fair

Some in the area, if not region, live for this week in eastern Idaho. It's the week the Eastern Idaho State Fair is held in Blackfoot.

Tasting new food, or old favorites, while watching the scheduled entertainment seems to be not only a favorite pasttime of many, but a "must do" on their annual events.

From the displays in the various buildings to the award winners in 4-H, local FFA organizations and others, who enter livestock to be displayed, there is a lot going on at all times at the Eastern Idaho State Fair.

Most kids say they want the new food and the carnival of rides that comes to the fair each year. Adults may just want the food and nightly entertainment, or rides without kids.

Whatever it is that you find appealing about the Eastern Idaho State Fair, would you please post a post here so others can know. Please recommend if jackets (or this year- perhaps cool attire- given the heat) or other tips you've learned over the years.

Have fun doing what you enjoy most at the fair.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 AM

Thumbs up A Week of Transition into new Activities

Regardless of whether Mother Nature realizes Sept. is here, the Idaho Falls arts community does.

The Dead Sea Scroll ends an unprecidented display at the Museum of Idaho today.

Starting on 9/4, at the Collector's Corner Museum, not only will the Barbie collection be on display, but so will the "Toy Planes, Trains and Cars," collection be shown. For all of those who played with toys that could move, via turning wheels, you might want to have a look.

Also on the 4th, at the Art Museum of Eastern Idaho, the annual traveling show of members belonging to the Idaho Watercolor's Society, will be displayed.

On Sept. 5th, Alive at Five is featuring the free entertainment of the group "Swing Shift." Scheduled to start at 5:00, who knows what the weather will be like?

And the Idaho Falls Symphony plays at Freeman Park, on Sept. 7th. This free concert is certainly a change from the Alive at Five series held downtown to the Symphony playing at the beautiful Freeman Park.

This is a small sampling of what is going on in Idaho Falls this week. There are many more activities. Also, if you want to get your kids involved in dancing, music, theatre, gymanstics etc., this appears to be about the latest you can still enroll for the first part of this school year.

Have fun discovering the great variety of dinner theatre to children's plays, dancing and singing to golfing and so many years long acitivities to riase money for the Arts in Idaho Falls.

Oh, just to be clear, remember the website for the Idaho Falls area arts does not covers all the activities in details. If you have children in your home, this website may become truly one of your "Favorite" Bookmarks ever, Idaho Falls Youth Arts Council Home is the link for the Idaho Falls Youth Arts Centre.

From plays to auditions to singing in musical productions and other activities, this relatively new addition to the Arts Community is growing and able to offer more opportunities for more area youth.

Have fun, if you attend any of the events. It would be great for some to write reviews with tips for various gatherings. One thing is for sure, there will be more offered next year than is currently offered this year.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 PM

121 posts, read 737,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hi CafeDelSol,
I'm looking forward to you posting the time of the ESPN event. Per chance, CDS, if you or others know anyone in Synergy Drumline (or has been a member of Synergy), please ask them to post here. We'll open a new thread.

Ok I finally found the correct time for the Drum Corps International Finals: Wednesday Sept 5th at 8pm mountain on ESPN-2 (channels 28 and 492 in Idaho Falls). 492 is the HD version with surround sound. Got my DVR all set!

I wasn't too impressed with ESPN's coverage in past years - Too much fluff and not enough focus on the performances. Hopefully they've figured out how to cover this type of event by now.

If you know any kids thinking of getting involved in music in school they should watch this. If this event doesn't motivate them nothing will!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 AM

Question Fun, Rides, Food, Contests, Entertainment, Formal Events etc. this Past Week

CafeDelSol,

Did you watch the program on the Drum Line? I wasn't able to, but wondered what you thought? Please share your views here.

I'm not sure that it's not kids not being interested as much as qualified faculty or other adult experts to serve as their advisors, which is why more Drum Lines don't form.

If you get a chance, go to an I.F. girls basketball game later on and watch them perform (or call to find out when Synergy will perform again).

Wow, I was surprised there were no posts here with everything that happened in the Idaho Falls area this last week. With all the entertainment and contests at the Eastern Idaho State Fair, let alone some of the more elaborant events occuring in town, I was just surprised no one reported on them.

I wonder if there is a way to take a poll here and see what is the #1 reason people go to the fair? Is it the rides, to see the new displays, to see who won awards - I read about the $1,000 check to the woman who created her version of a peanut butter cake (is that right?), I think. Or, is it the food from the dozens of vendors? What do YOU like best about the fair and why?

Please write some of your experiences here so others will know for the future.

So what is everyone looking forward to this week in Sept.? I've been given personal feedback that going for a massage or spa day any day of the week or any month, is a GREAT idea and treat in Idaho Falls.

Did anyone catch the last day of the Ink and Blood Diplay and the Museum of Idaho? What is next - what display are they bringing in? Does anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls