Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times

Advertisements

I am finally moving to IF officially next week. Food, I hate to say, is important to me.

Please advise on the best IF:

burgers
chinese
thai
pizza

I have some ideas, but please vote so I can either confirm them, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I am finally moving to IF officially next week. Food, I hate to say, is important to me.

Please advise on the best IF:

burgers
chinese
thai
pizza

I have some ideas, but please vote so I can either confirm them, or not.
According to breer pizza would be Pettolino's on Yellowstone near downtown as Franco's closed. Burgers that's easy it's The Blue Wave on Rollandet south of 17th. I don't eat chinese or thai so someone else needs to chime in for that

Old 09-19-2009, 11:11 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Talking TGIFs, Snake Bite......for Burgers

First, pw72, congrats on the move.

Secondly, what no question about British food (Fish and Chips)?

Was the deal maker for you that Wendy's is now building in Ammon?

You've probably seen the on-going discussion about pizza here.

Burgers are so subjective.....are you talking about a drive through or a sit down burger? Idaho Falls magazine voters chose TGIF for the best burger in May 2009 (check out Idaho Falls Magazine) and you may be able to find that article without a subscription. Probably looking under restaurants you'll see readers choice for many different restaurants.

Besides TGIF, Snake Bite is very popular for a sit down burger.

Scotty's is always a local favorite for a quick burger.

Sorry, I'm not one to volunteer to help, but I don't recall you asking either. I do hope everything goes well in your move.

MSR

Old 09-19-2009, 11:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,520,371 times
Lazy Dee's in Shelley for burgers. Best pizza we've had here was papa murphy's.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I have tried Scotty's before when in IF...not bad!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
Default TGIF? Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Was the deal maker for you that Wendy's is now building in Ammon?
Seriously? Sweet merciful crap! Well, now we can't look at moving! HA - guess we'll have to restrict our search to Ammon.

Quote:
You've probably seen the on-going discussion about pizza here.
I'll make an additional comment to the ones I've posted on the IF Pizza post. We had Pettelino's stuffed pizza last night. It was good, but not as good as the thin crust. Crust was a little doughy for our taste, and needed more sauce. Also, I believe I posted it was deep-dish, not stuffed - bit of a difference between the two. It is indeed stuffed pizza; think pan with a layer of crust (dough) on top.

Overall, it still had good taste, though. We'd rank them as thin > stuffed > pan.

Quote:
Burgers are so subjective.....are you talking about a drive through or a sit down burger? Idaho Falls magazine voters chose TGIF for the best burger in May 2009 (check out Idaho Falls Magazine)...
Sorry...but, ugh. How TGIF makes it to the top of any "best food type" list is beyond me. I'll go with cleosmom - Blue Wave is the best we've tasted in town. Five Guys (now in Ammon) is also quite good, and more family friendly (since Blue Wave is a bar).

For Chinese and Thai food, the selections are slim and slimmer, respectively. Chinese, I prefer Happy (downtown) and Hunan (Ammon). Thai - I can only think of Thai Palace (also downtown).

Last edited by breer23; 09-20-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 09-20-2009, 10:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Good to know about Five Guys, breer as when we tried going it was wall to wall people!

Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Talking It Doesn't Take a Nuclear Scientist to Read/See the News........

Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
Seriously? Sweet merciful crap! Well, now we can't look at moving! HA - guess we'll have to restrict our search to Ammon.

Hey Breer23, Keep up with yah news, would yah.
""New Wendy’s Restaurant Breaks Ground in Ammon"

" Friday, officials with the popular fast food chain broke ground on a new restaurant on Hitt Road near the intersection with Sunnyside."

"Upon completion, the restaurant will be the fourth Wendy's franchise in the Idaho Falls/Ammon area."

New Wendy’s Restaurant Breaks Ground in Ammon - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports-

Sheez, what ISN'T GOING TO BE AT HITT AND SUNNYSIDE?

I think a Wendy's would do extremely well by University Blvd. Options are limited there and I look for some fast food to start to open in that area in the next year.

I'll make an additional comment to the ones I've posted on the IF Pizza post. We had Pettelino's stuffed pizza last night. It was good, but not as good as the thin crust. Crust was a little doughy for our taste, and needed more sauce. Also, I believe I posted it was deep-dish, not stuffed - bit of a difference between the two. It is indeed stuffed pizza; think pan with a layer of crust (dough) on top.

Overall, it still had good taste, though. We'd rank them as thin > stuffed > pan.

Sorry...but, ugh. How TGIF makes it to the top of any "best food type" list is beyond me. I'll go with cleosmom - Blue Wave is the best we've tasted in town. Five Guys (now in Ammon) is also quite good, and more family friendly (since Blue Wave is a bar).

Gotta say that one surprised me too. Maybe it was the live cook off competition at SRL and Idaho Falls Magazine polled those who ate burgers and that day the winner was TGIF. Not sure, except I think the May edition is the restaurant favs. Will have to look online or at old copies.

Burgers are really individual, IMHO. I know that sounds weird as almost every fast food place serves some variation on the theme, it just depends on what likes (or not) on theirs.

For Chinese and Thai food, the selections are slim and slimmer, respectively. Chinese, I prefer Happy (downtown) and Hunan (Ammon). Thai - I can only think of Thai Palace (also downtown).
There's a Thai restaurant downtown that has gotten good reviews. Yip, I think it is Thai Palace. Not may favorite food, so I don't really know.

I hope this discussion helps you pw72.

MSR

Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
Thanks, MSR, for pointing out how out of touch I am with normal life & society - lol. Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the news lately - big project to finish at work by 9/30.

To touch on another part of your post, I too am surprised that no fast-food or small restaurants have popped up around university place. I thought perhaps it was a zoning issue, but it looks as if there used to be a Puerto Vallarta next to the Conoco on Fremont @ Science Center Dr. That leaves the closest eateries as Puerto Vallarta and A Little Bit of Mexico, both on the east side of tracks on Lincoln/Science Center Dr.

Hell, we could at the VERY least use a decent coffeehouse, even if it was of the drive-thru variety! Villa Coffeehouse (downtown) is preferred and only a 5 minute drive from campus but they close at 5 p.m., which leaves those of us on the night shift with the Starbucks in the Fred Meyer, the Conoco at Science Center and Fremont, or the Sinclair on Lincoln as our "go-to" options.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM

73 posts, read 248,624 times
Burgers - Red Robin for us, hands down. Not impressed with Thai or Chinese in the area. Pizza - need to try the new place but we usually get Papa Murphy's and spice it up ourselves and bake it at home.
Happy dining!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls