Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,969 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to read this. My husband is in the military and getting stationed in Idaho Falls so that he can work at the INL. We have scoured the rental and real estate market and have seen such great prices on homes but have no idea which neighborhoods are best to move into. We have 3 kids, 2 of whom are in school (will start Kinder and 7th grade). We want to move into an area that is newer (homes built like after 2005 or so), family friendly, and well kempt. Not looking to pay any more than $240k or renting more than $1300/1400 month. I am an RN so will be looking into work at the EIRMC some time next year. If anyone can give guidance as to which neighborhoods or areas are the above, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. We are currently in SC so being able to check out homes and the area personally isn't very easy at the moment. One of the places we liked was in Fairway Estates. My husband also plays golf so if there are potential CC that have houses that would be helpful as well. And lastly, we are looking at newer homes too but don't know if those are readily available. I have seen about 2 or 3 but that was it. We need at least 5 bedrooms, which doesn't seem difficult to find with the market there and our price range. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
There are many new subdivisions south of Sunnyside Road that you might want to take into consideration, can't recall the names of any right now, but they would put you in an area not far from either hospital (EIRMC and Mountain View).

Both school districts are currently suffering from financial blows, you might want to take that into consideration, but the two districts are 91 and 93. There are also private schools available through Calvery Chapel and Montessori. I'm not certain how high they go through at the Montessori, but I'm pretty sure Calvary Chapel runs through the senior year of high school.

Another advantage of looking at the new neighborhoods south of Sunnyside is being in close proximity to Sand Creek golf course

You did not mention it, but if you have pets (dogs, cats) you will find the rental market quite challenging at best.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 PM

45 posts, read 115,189 times
HI! I live in Ammon just bordering Idaho Falls. I have kids and they all attend the Bonneville Joint School District #93. Lately we have seen some change in the area and I think that at this time that Ammon is the best place for what you area looking for.

Ammon is close to the hospital and the INL has a free transportation bus that will take your husband to work everyday. There are areas are not all perfect closer to INL so for your kids and you it might be best to stay in Ammon and let him take the commute especially on winter roads.

I believe that the best and newest Elementary Schools and High Schools are in Ammon: Rimrock, Woodland Hills, Sunnyside (technically 91), and Mountain Valley (magnet), and Hillcrest High are all pretty new if not just opened.

Idaho Falls school district 91 is struggling with some over crowded schools and some infulx of some Language Learners as well.

If you live within the school's boundries you can get in the school of your choice no matter what...so I would really pay attention the the boundry and not so much the area itself.

Anywhere on the hill is nice and everything here is rather affordable. The best bet at this time is probably Mountain Valley magnet however there is a waiting list so the only way in is to move in the area.

Ammon is primarily Mormon and you didn't mention if you were but we are not and we still have really liked the schools my children attend.

If you need further assistance please feel free to direct message me

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,969 times
Thank you both so much for the info! It is always hard trying to make a move when you are on the opposite side of the country! I appreciate the help. One more thing, are there any areas we shoudl stay away from? I read somewhere that the older part of town isn't a place we might want to be. But since I've never been, it is hard for me to know for sure if this is true or not. Thank you.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 PM

45 posts, read 115,189 times
Yes do not live anywhere near the numbered or lettered streets.

However do not be discouraged I have lived in Los Angeles it is not bad like that .

We have lived here 2 years and it is a wonderful place to raise a family.

Feel free in Direct message me for anything I might help you with.

I'd say most areas are just honest hardworking working people

Good Luck

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM

4 posts, read 12,057 times
You should have no problem finding a great home in a good neighborhood. Idaho Falls doesn't have a hood, so no worries there! The thing to worry about is the isolation and lack of diversity, but I'm guessing you'll be fine! I think almost all of the schools are title1. Sunnyside elementary is a good one. South Point is a good subdivision. To each his own, the best thing to do is come here for a couple of days before you actually move here and do a lot of driving around and talking w/ the locals. Check out the schools and talk w/ the principals- they are all friendly! This is what me and my hubby did before we came.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
The numbered streets are fine... I've lived on 19th, 18th, 11th, 10th, and 8th (two different houses)

The homes on 1st street are pretty much gone until you are on the east end of 1st. It used to be one of the old main drags in Idaho Falls. 17th st. still has a lot of homes, but it's the current main drag, and lots of traffic. Access from the houses is not so hot due to the traffic.

The numbered streets between Boulevard and homes Avenues are older- dating from around 1909 to 1940. Many of these homes are very beautiful old bungalows and mission style homes, mixed with smaller homes, surrounded by mature landscaping. Kate Curley Park is more or less in the middle of this area and is a great family park.

East of Holmes, the numbered streets have newer houses, built from the early 50's to the 70's, with quite a few split levels. Many of the homes in this area are brick. Again, the landscaping is mature, and there are a wide variety of home styles and sizes. Most have single garages, but later built homes have doubles.

The numbered streets south of 17th were mostly built in the late 30's to the 60's, with several newer additions that wind around the 24th st. area. These additions have homes that were built in the 70's-90's, and many that are quite large and deluxe. Between 17th and 24th are many smaller homes, mostly built in the 50's, many made of brick, and all with mature landscaping. There are several parks in this area, including Tautphaus, the largest park in I.F. Most have double garages.

Boulevard is the main access street to most of these streets. A canal makes many of the streets from about 20th to 24th dead end.

I really like living on the numbered streets. They are all shady, with lots of maple trees, which seem to have been a real favorite, and are typically very quiet. There are some elementary schools which service the numbered streets. The older streets- 1st to 13th, are all one-way between Boulevard and Homes, and all the rest 2-way. The area is quite central to all the major shopping districts, downtown, the river, and to the main drags. While the houses are older, some are the best built in I.F.

There are lots of new and almost new homes available, mostly to the east and south sides of town, but the west side has a lot of nice homes as well. (The Snake River divides the town east and west.) The west side was built up from the 50's to the 70's, and there are a couple of newer subdivisions that were built in the 90's over there.

I suggest taking your time and looking around. The market right now is full of bargains.

Idaho Falls used to be a Navy town, and we really support the military here. Folks here are reserved, but if you get out and meet your neighbors, you'll soon know lots of folks in whatever neighborhood you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls