U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
 
307 posts, read 337,542 times
Reputation: 136

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Interesting discussion.

Let me throw something out there and you can shoot me down or not...

How about a limited expressway from just east of where Hwy 20 and I-15 intersect, (utilizing the infrastructure that already exists at this intersection, then a beltway through the Lincoln Road area, not imposing any effect on Lincoln itself. Then a nice gradual curve to the south just east of Woodruff. Much of this area is still unoccupied. Head south through Ammon. End it at Sunnyside with possible expansion southward.

OK, this would be a complicated and expensive project, but it could be the E/W corridor that IF needs.
Just think, a nice way to get to the east side of the IF metro. At the same time, encouraging development along the route.

This, I understand is just fantasy, but if it could be put together, could help solve a lot of the issues with 17th, add development, and provide a new E/W route. You certainly can't do this in-city IF, but there are still areas that are not developed on the north side and into Ammon.

Why not think big? Who would finance it is a total 'nuther question, that is why it is fantasy.
There is a "plan" and many may not have heard of this (I read through 163 pages of the HWY 20 corridor plan on the ITD site) about taking HWY 20 at Lewisville Hwy exit and continuing it west down Iona Road, across the river and I-15 and meeting up with HWY 20 around 55th west.

They "could" take this plan another step as laid out above. The route north would be easy and in terms of a construction project this size, inexpensive. The turn toward the south however would be expensive and would be a tough call on what business and residences to demolish. The least intrusive would be all the way to the east of Iona and loop it down toward 65th South and then west where it could be reconnected to I-15.

Anything is possible, just remember that Boise took out a ton of homes to build their connector and I think that helped to create the downtown we see today as well as the area near the Towne Square Mall. We all know that it does involve funding and years of public input. With Idaho Falls "projected" to reach 91,000 and Bonneville County reaching well over 200K by the year 2035, it will be too late by then to undertake any project this size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 11,790,197 times
Reputation: 1576
Thanks IF guy, I think we are somewhat on the same page.

How can we get this "plan" to the deciders?

I'm sure they have heard these ideas before, but there really is no political pressure to move this along.

I truely believe that this type of planning needs to happen now, before it becomes unreasonable from a development standpoint, and from an expense standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 AM
 
307 posts, read 337,542 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Thanks IF guy, I think we are somewhat on the same page.

How can we get this "plan" to the deciders?

I'm sure they have heard these ideas before, but there really is no political pressure to move this along.

I truely believe that this type of planning needs to happen now, before it becomes unreasonable from a development standpoint, and from an expense standpoint.
I agree with you 100% on this one. If you look around the city you can see quite a few problems that should have been adressed long ago. Pancheri Bridge will be replaced next year, probably should have been before the new Sunnyside exit was built. I cringe every time I drive over it still. I think it has been very risky to put that off as long as they have.

There is also a huge problem that is the I-15/HWY 20 Junction. There is way too much traffic through there and somehow there needs to be a bypass for the northbound US 20 traffic. That traffic light it is going to be useless for traffic control in a few short years.

And then there is 17th Street as mentioned. A bloody mess. Sure you can always add more lanes, but that just makes the problem worse by allowing more traffic. I think the easiest way to tone down some future problems would to be not to allow so many businesses in one place. There are too many curb cuts and not enough secondary accesses from side streets. Adding a turn lane into these shopping centers is also a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 11,790,197 times
Reputation: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
I agree with you 100% on this one. If you look around the city you can see quite a few problems that should have been adressed long ago. Pancheri Bridge will be replaced next year, probably should have been before the new Sunnyside exit was built. I cringe every time I drive over it still. I think it has been very risky to put that off as long as they have.

There is also a huge problem that is the I-15/HWY 20 Junction. There is way too much traffic through there and somehow there needs to be a bypass for the northbound US 20 traffic. That traffic light it is going to be useless for traffic control in a few short years.

And then there is 17th Street as mentioned. A bloody mess. Sure you can always add more lanes, but that just makes the problem worse by allowing more traffic. I think the easiest way to tone down some future problems would to be not to allow so many businesses in one place. There are too many curb cuts and not enough secondary accesses from side streets. Adding a turn lane into these shopping centers is also a great idea.
That is SO funny, as I have the exact same feelings driving over the Pancheri Bridge. This bridge was built 50 years ago, probably as a farm access road. I have heard reports as well it will be replaced "as early" as next year, but this isn't certain. I believe Interstate bridges were originally built with a reasonable 40-year life span. Hello...

As for improved access around IF I don't hold out much hope. The economy has slowed down road construction, although Obama has promised more of such. No real evidence of that in IF.

IF is a community that has grown out of its previous mindset, but sometimes I wonder if our leaders understand that. I am a pro-growther, but we need our leaders to understand what it takes to accomodate this growth. Not sure this is happening right now, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 AM
 
287 posts, read 668,055 times
Reputation: 115
I'm a little fuzzy on where you're proposing these connector roads. I wish I could vizualize a map of what you're suggesting.

I live near Iona and really don't want to see a freeway built anywhere near. Yellowstone highway is enough.But some commercial areas a little closer wouldn't be bad. I would like to see roads improved in the county, too. Bikers and runners take enormous risks along Crowley N/S and Iona and Lincoln E/W. I guess it's just too much to expect bike/walking lanes out there anytime soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,215 posts, read 17,877,094 times
Reputation: 14638
I ate at Schlotzky's Deli yesterday. I ordered the angus beef and provolone samwich with added tomatoes, and a small bowl of potato bacon soup. Dam kids didn't put tomatoes on my samwich!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 06:04 AM
 
307 posts, read 337,542 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
I'm a little fuzzy on where you're proposing these connector roads. I wish I could vizualize a map of what you're suggesting.

I live near Iona and really don't want to see a freeway built anywhere near. Yellowstone highway is enough.But some commercial areas a little closer wouldn't be bad. I would like to see roads improved in the county, too. Bikers and runners take enormous risks along Crowley N/S and Iona and Lincoln E/W. I guess it's just too much to expect bike/walking lanes out there anytime soon?
The loop access would have to be built close to the foothills. That is the least intrusive path I can figure out. The best route however would bring it near Hitt and Ammon Roads and that would cost mega dollars. I don't see it happening however. Probably the best we are going to get is 4 lane roads that will just choke up the traffic even more.

The problem with these county roads is that quite a bit now fall within Ammon city limits. They couldn't even spare any money to help with Hitt Road a couple of years ago due to building the new sewer line and treatment plant in Shelley. This and building better water pumping stations and aging water lines had to be on the forefront not only for current residents but to be able to keep up with growth.

I am not sure where the county stands as far as road projects. I believe the cheap alternative and wait and see method works best with them. I really believe they should have installed a traffic light at Hitt and Lincoln and will have to in the future. Iona Road needs some attention as well and upgrading Lincoln Rd to Ammon Rd should probably be done soon also.

My hope is that any future widing project in the county or Ammon or IF are modeled after the Sunnyside project or Hitt Road. The city and county have always been tricky and have waited for a developer to move in and they make them foot quite a bit of the bill for improvements. If I remember correctly, Home Depot had to pay for the widing of Holmes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 09:07 AM
 
3,970 posts, read 11,790,197 times
Reputation: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I ate at Schlotzky's Deli yesterday. I ordered the angus beef and provolone samwich with added tomatoes, and a small bowl of potato bacon soup. Dam kids didn't put tomatoes on my samwich!
Point taken. Sorry about hijacking the thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,229 posts, read 14,240,152 times
Reputation: 15719
My bad... I hijacked too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
 
307 posts, read 337,542 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
My bad... I hijacked too.
I'll make it three...sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top