U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 09:27 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,736,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Are you serious about a Der Weinerschnitzel, Cleosmom?

Didn't Shane Murphy convert the building in front of Albertsons on 17th and Holmes from one of his Java Express drive thru's to a something Dawgs? IDK the menu but one can guess.
Oh yes, I'm serious. I realize they have at least one in the SLC area, not in the most desirable neighborhoods However, once when taking mom down to UofU, I brought back $30.00 worth of DW for friends in the area, I forgot to get myself anything

Yes, Shane did indeed convert it to Dawg-on-Grill and it's not just dogs! They also have Gyros, Steak, chicken or pork sandwiches, Shakes and Reed's ice cream, handmade twisted chips, Italian sodas and flavored sodas.... I've yet to try them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,114,710 times
Default Oppenheimer Update about "The Broadway"

Oppenheimer released more info about The Broadway today. They have two tenants signed, two more who are interested and one in negotiation right now. What I didn't know previously, is those interested in living on the third floor of the building farthest from Broadway, apparently those units are being pre-loaded. The real estate agency, Thorton, Oliver and Keller are handling negotiations/leasing for all.

We will learn who has leased commercial property in early 2017. Construction will start either in spring or summer, 2017. It probably depends on how quickly the commercial tenants are leased.

Between BV and Oppenheimer we should be getting a lot of info of who will be coming to town

Old 12-01-2016, 08:40 PM

364 posts, read 236,478 times
I really hope the buildings lease out quickly. I believe part of why it is smaller scaled than many hoped is because the market in downtown hasn't been proven yet. It has been transforming, but rather slowly. The other factor is the parking issues. Oppenheimer has been talking with Bank of Idaho too probably about sharing parking or something along those lines. I believe we will see a more rapid transformation of downtown following completion of The Broadway and the Bonneville. Deseret Industries will soon be vacating their longtime downtown property too. Whether they sell it or use it for other purposes is yet to be determined.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:54 PM

I heard that Idaho Falls Power is teaming up with the Arts Council to make the downtown power plant at the water tower less of an eye sore. I don't think they will construct walking paths to go there but it will look nice from across the river. More arts in downtown might provide a boost to the area. I hoped to one day see the warehouse district revitalized and transformed into a vibrant community

Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I really hope the buildings lease out quickly. I believe part of why it is smaller scaled than many hoped is because the market in downtown hasn't been proven yet. It has been transforming, but rather slowly. The other factor is the parking issues. Oppenheimer has been talking with Bank of Idaho too probably about sharing parking or something along those lines. I believe we will see a more rapid transformation of downtown following completion of The Broadway and the Bonneville. Deseret Industries will soon be vacating their longtime downtown property too. Whether they sell it or use it for other purposes is yet to be determined.
I respect your opinion, Theotherdude. I don't share all of it. I agree about the parking and The Broadway. I don't know exactly how many times Oppenheimer has been here to review options for parking -maybe 10 - 12 times. Given that residents have to have guaranteed parking, I believe the Carr brother who owns the adjacent building has played more of a key role than most know. Parking options were discussed with what could or couldn't be done with the building closest to The Broadway. After all, this Carr brother, the attorney, was originally part of the Oppenheimer proposal. But as things got designed for the three section development, then he seemed to drop out of the discussion.

IDK how he feels about the parking plans now. Probably better stated, I don't know when he apparently didn't want some of the shared space used for The Broadway's parking. It's not like he is tearing his building down. Rumors for it include an IMAX heater and other uses. I think he has his own plans for his building.

You'd know better than most of us. Could Oppenheimer work on The Broadway and a different contractor work on what I'll call The Carr Building for now, at the same time? To the best of my knowledge the plan to build underground parking has never changed. I don't know how much equipment could be physically efficient on The Broadway and the Carr building if they both were building at the same time. It's one block.

Ultimately, I believe RDA talked last year about more parking would need to be created downtown.

The bigger disappointment to me is The Bonneville and the lack of cooperation from The Housing Company. I hope they get funded in Feb., but I'm not planning on it given how they conducted business with the I.F. RDA for two months after they were awarded the contract.

I agree about the Deseret Industries building. I've written for months it would be a good location for a grocery store with even bus transfers there. I think downtown is already feeling different as Fire Station #1 continues on schedule. It's several blocks from The Broadway so it may not seem like change has already happening. But new businesses are moving in Downtown.

I do know the lack of qualified construction workers are slowing other projects from even starting. I think when Woodbury's contracted builder gets their second crew here, then we'll see much more progress on the Summerhill Suites. And we'll be hearing about a lot of new construction/tenants in 2017. I also try to remember at this point if the workers in the LDS Temple remodel are local or brought in by the contractor. They should become available in March, 2017.

Dec. is always a slow month for new annoucements. However, Dec. is also incredibly important this year given the BMPO grant. If you haven't read the latest, checks the Planes, Trains and Automobiles thread. There is a new plan I posted.

A lot is going on in construction and planning. If you haven't seen them yet, check out the Art Gallery by the IF Power and the ArtiTorium on Broadway. Given the expansion of the Museum of Idaho in 2017, I think the arts community is doing what they can as the Civic Auditorium has a new board and new mission with it.

Then there are the schools for both districts. IDK how much more could really be happening currently without more construction workers.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Has Culvers broken ground in Idaho Falls? I know they have a store in Twin, and I do indeed wonder about their expansion plans in the NW. They seem to be going slow.

The Wendy's closing on 17th does seem a bit odd, from my outside vantage point it seemed to be in a pretty good location. I wonder if a higher profit venue might move into that location.
Anything is possible, pnwguy2. I still think a different "quick, service restaraunt" wants the spot. The other would be open 24 hrs./day. They attempted to secure land and build east by Starbucks, but the neighbors wouldn't let the City Council make that change. This really is the only place eastbound on 17th where their lights and 24 hr. Dr, Thru wouldn't disrupt neighbors with the all night lights. There would be a couple of options westbound, but that isn't the business they want.

Also, as I wrote above, I think we'll see a Wendy's close to Exit #116. Wendy's likes owners to have multiple restaurants and enough cash to make the changes they roll out. Idahoing brought up Wendy's because of their remodeling on the Northgate Mile. I believe their W. Broadway restaurant already completed the update. Wendy's buy in is $40,000 for 20 years. Corp. gets 4% of sells etc. Wendy's suggests a new restaurant can cost between $2-3 million. The other two Wendy's mentioned are owned by the person who owned 17th St. Maybe the person thought a lot more money could be made on or near W. Sunnyside and needed to free up assets. They had business at the 17th streets location.

What would you put in that space, pnwguy2?

Culver's --- the quick answer is no, not yet. They are working on their building permit and still have two small things to resolve before 12/20/2016. They will be at 945 W. Pancheri when they build. I expect them to start soon after they get their building permit totally completed.

The TF store is more of an outlier than anything. Culver's started in WI and a man who attended college in Idaho wanted to return to Idaho. He brought Culver's to Twin Falls years before its time. Yes, Culver's is going slow. Do you remember me searching for the term I was trying to find for restaurants who limit how many states they are in? IDK that Culver's hopes to be in all 50 states. They want it done right!!

Idaho Falls will be their 4th Idaho location, although no others currently show besides TF. It's possible McNeil owns the rights for the other three. I guessed they would put one in Boise metro and Cd'A along with I.F. Scroll down to FAQ and look at owning a restaurant. Check out the states.....I was wrong, they aren't even entering NID currently, per the map. So probably Boise, Meridian and I.F. Culver's Restaurant | Frozen Custard, Butterburgers & Cheese Curds

While you are in the FAQS the buy in cost is $44,000.00. However, the owner is expected to work in the restaurant. And to make sure it's done correctly the owner trains at the minimum three months but preferably six months at an established store! IIRC. Given that the Idaho Falls was only announced in Aug., they seem to be on schedule. I'll bet not many Culver's fail, given their requirements.

One other fact about the I.F. location, is while there may be a co-owner etc. who will work there everyday, McNeil Development is still the listed owner/developer. IDK if this has slowed them down or not, but the Walkers had a terrible tragedy in their family earlier in the year. Their son, named McNeil Walker was killed in a freaky accident on I-15. I give families a lot of room after losing a child. Some need time to regroup further down the road. I suspect this slowed them down some......

Will Culver's be your next endeavor? Do you want to go learn for 3-6 months at a current location?

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-03-2016 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 05:20 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,613,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Anything is possible, pnwguy2. I still think a different "quick, service restaraunt" wants the spot. The other would be open 24 hrs./day. They attempted to secure land and build east by Starbucks, but the neighbors wouldn't let the City Council make that change. This really is the only place eastbound on 17th where their lights and 24 hr. Dr, Thru wouldn't disrupt neighbors with the all night lights. There would be a couple of options westbound, but that isn't the business they want.

Also, as I wrote above, I think we'll see a Wendy's close to Exit #116. Wendy's likes owners to have multiple restaurants and enough cash to make the changes they roll out. Idahoing brought up Wendy's because of their remodeling on the Northgate Mile. I believe their W. Broadway restaurant already completed the update. Wendy's buy in is $40,000 for 20 years. Corp. gets 4% of sells etc. Wendy's suggests a new restaurant can cost between $2-3 million. The other two Wendy's mentioned are owned by the person who owned 17th St. Maybe the person thought a lot more money could be made on or near W. Sunnyside and needed to free up assets. They had business at the 17th streets location.

What would you put in that space, pnwguy2?

Culver's --- the quick answer is no, not yet. They are working on their building permit and still have two small things to resolve before 12/20/2016. They will be at 945 W. Pancheri when they build. I expect them to start soon after they get their building permit totally completed.

The TF store is more of an outlier than anything. Culver's started in WI and a man who attended college in Idaho wanted to return to Idaho. He brought Culver's to Twin Falls years before its time. Yes, Culver's is going slow. Do you remember me searching for the term I was trying to find for restaurants who limit how many states they are in? IDK that Culver's hopes to be in all 50 states. They want it done right!!

Idaho Falls will be their 4th Idaho location, although no others currently show besides TF. It's possible McNeil owns the rights for the other three. I guessed they would put one in Boise metro and Cd'A along with I.F. Scroll down to FAQ and look at owning a restaurant. Check out the states.....I was wrong, they aren't even entering NID currently, per the map. So probably Boise, Meridian and I.F. Culver's Restaurant | Frozen Custard, Butterburgers & Cheese Curds

While you are in the FAQS the buy in cost is $44,000.00. However, the owner is expected to work in the restaurant. And to make sure it's done correctly the owner trains at the minimum three months but preferably six months at an established store! IIRC. Given that the Idaho Falls was only announced in Aug., they seem to be on schedule. I'll bet not many Culver's fail, given their requirements.

One other fact about the I.F. location, is while there may be a co-owner etc. who will work there everyday, McNeil Development is still the listed owner/developer. IDK if this has slowed them down or not, but the Walkers had a terrible tragedy in their family earlier in the year. Their son, named McNeil Walker was killed in a freaky accident on I-15. I give families a lot of room after losing a child. Some need time to regroup further down the road. I suspect this slowed them down some......

Will Culver's be your next endeavor? Do you want to go learn for 3-6 months at a current location?
Thanks for that info. I had forgotten the ties to Idaho from the Culver's founder. I do like their concept and I think they could continue to expand in the NW, but it appears to be slow, as you mentioned.

Wendy's...agreed, with Starbucks in the vicinity I wonder if this location had the breakfast menu? This matters when you are near Starbucks. This does still seem to be a prime location.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:42 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,736,347 times
Okay, tons of construction out my way. If memory serves me correct on 17th in Ammon, near KMart is where Deseret is going, on Hitt by the Walmart is where CalRanch is going, on 45th east of 1st will be the new high school.

That said, what the heck is going on First just east of the Taco Time?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:01 AM

That's a 200 +/- home senior community and 300+/- unit apartment complex.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 PM

This is a cross post with INL. The Navy is Building a new facility. I'll look for the other source I read. The building timetable, workers and construction workers listed.

U.S. Navy to build $1.6 billion facility at INL - KIFI

360 new jobs. I couldn't find how many construction jobs. The time line is in here. It will overlap perfectly with NuScale, except construction for the Navy starts in 2017, like so many other projects.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...206-story.html

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-06-2016 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or