U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 02:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,265,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm not thinking our little burg can support two large warehouse stores!

Don't forget there is always Amazon.com

The only thing I don't like about Costco is that they only put their stores in the most congested areas. I understand they need to do their market studies to ensure that they get the enough business to justify there presence there.

But I hate long lines, crowds and having to look for parking up to 10 minutes out in no man's land (I am handicapped) which is contradictory to my lifestyle of peace n quiet (THAT'S WHY I NEED TO GET OUTTA HERE) but COSTCO is still a great store with the best prices and quality of all products under one roof.

My experience between Costco, Sam's Club and Wal-Mart is Costco has better much better customer service in that they do move those long lines (HERE) pretty fast. I live within 7 miles of each of these 3 stores for now.

Sam's Club (owned by Wal-Mart) is too slow so their lines get longer and longer.
Same thing with Wal-Marts (here) poor customer service (Great band name products at great prices $$$) but very long and slow lines with slow cashiers and I can never get a person to come to the sporting goods stores to purchase those products they keep locked up i.e ammo.

If I need to get a fishing license I'll go to a sporting goods store or a bait shop for immediate purchase and much faster service instead of waiting 15 minutes for someone to show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 09:25 PM

21,500 posts, read 14,403,478 times
I think Costco hesitated building in Idaho Falls when they saw Winco, Sam's Club, and a bunch of other big box companies were already here and offering what Costco offers.

Folks think of Wal-Mart for cheap groceries, but Winco offers better quality groceries at Wal-Mart prices (or lower; Winco makes a big deal of displaying how much more Wal-Mart's groceries cost). And all the other established stores all compete in the same way with Costco's other goods.

I think Costco could carve out it's own niche here and prosper, but I think it would be a harder fight than it has in other cities, and building here might not be as easy or as cheap as it was in those other towns.

The company must be tempted by I.F.'s growth and location, but they didn't get to be as large and popular as they are by making mistakes. The bottom line will still rule their decision, and Costco has the best predictive tools available to help them make it.

Some of those tools didn't even exist when they took their first look at Idaho Falls. But I don't give it more than 50/50 at the best that they will decide to build a new store, or several stores, here in the near future. This is a very competitive town, and the competition may be more than they want to take on.

We'll see soon enough, I guess. I wonder how many passed-over towns get a second look from Costco. For sure, they've never chosen new locations the same way most other big-box outfits have in the past.
I know Sam's Club was located here mostly because I.F. already had a Wal-Mart and a new K-Mart, and Home Depot and a lot of other big-box companies were building here. Back then, there was a kind of herd mentality that went on with these companies.

They all hung back locating until one or two finally made the jump, and then the rest would follow in a herd. That's what the first manager of Sam's Club told me when the company I worked for did some work for them.
Much has changed though in retail since then, so Costco won't be using our growth alone as a reason to locate here, I'm sure.

If they do decide to locate here, we may be visiting a new second-generation model of Costco when it's built that is unlike older stores.

Last edited by banjomike; 02-16-2019 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 PM

365 posts, read 240,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm not thinking our little burg can support two large warehouse stores!
Everyone thought that when Walmart announced a west side location. There was even speculation that a Walmart supercenter in Rexburg would drastically reduce traffic in IF stores.

I find it kinda interesting also that Shopko is keeping the IF store open but closing over 70 percent of their stores nationwide. Our Sears and K-mart stores outlasted many others too.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:22 AM

21,500 posts, read 14,403,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Everyone thought that when Walmart announced a west side location. There was even speculation that a Walmart supercenter in Rexburg would drastically reduce traffic in IF stores.

I find it kinda interesting also that Shopko is keeping the IF store open but closing over 70 percent of their stores nationwide. Our Sears and K-mart stores outlasted many others too.
Idaho Falls has a really large area it services.

Shopko is one of those department stores that seems to fit our service area well with their goods and pricing, so our store is likely still a profit center for them. It's a well-located store too.

It's going to be interesting to watch strategies develop for these retail chains who must compete with Amazon and the super-stores like WalMart.

Store size, selection and quality of goods and services, location and local popularity might all be keys to these chain's survival more than the total number of stores in the future. Smaller may be better than larger in the years to come, along with fitting a profitable niche in the overall market.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:49 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,265,553 times
kEEP me posted on this one. I am not too sure about Rexburg area yet.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:21 PM

136 posts, read 90,726 times
Ok, what is happening at the south-west corner of Sunnyside and Yellowstone? I seem to recall a mention here a long time ago about future plans for that corner, but can't find that thread now. They bulldozed "The Shop" bar & grill, and the whole corner is flattened now.
Whassup?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 PM

75 posts, read 46,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
Ok, what is happening at the south-west corner of Sunnyside and Yellowstone? I seem to recall a mention here a long time ago about future plans for that corner, but can't find that thread now. They bulldozed "The Shop" bar & grill, and the whole corner is flattened now.
Whassup?
I think it is supposed to be a car wash if I remember correctly.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 PM

75 posts, read 46,133 times
INL is putting in a new park n ride on Broadway in the big field that used to display the flags opposite West Broadway storage/Budget truck rental. The back half will have a paved park n ride lot and the front will be 3 pads for businesses. Wondering if Maverik will take the opportunity to expand their location (moving from the opposite corner).

Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 PM

312 posts, read 341,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1834 View Post
INL is putting in a new park n ride on Broadway in the big field that used to display the flags opposite West Broadway storage/Budget truck rental. The back half will have a paved park n ride lot and the front will be 3 pads for businesses. Wondering if Maverik will take the opportunity to expand their location (moving from the opposite corner).
Cool. I was hoping they wouldn't have the wholelot. Maverick makes sense to me, I have wondered why they haven't built a fancy store out there yet.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 AM

4,662 posts, read 15,789,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
Whassup?
Ha! I knew something was missing when I drove past it yesterday, couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or