U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,122,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Where have you been finding the building permits?
In my dreams. Not like anyone is going to show them the way they use to. I think we've been responsible with the info we've learned. Show us the permits!

I'm actually wrong about that bldg. permit going into the River Bend development. It may be some road names get changed, unless they continue from near the river through the traffic and over the land to this development which extends John Adams Parkway and Curlew. It is in Ammon, I think. There is a River Road close to the river and 1J County line. That's where the house will be built.

No, the only I.F. building permit I know about is Sandhill Media got another one for about 1.6 the amount of their first one. Now maybe the rest of that addition can get built.

I did read something that differs from what we've learned previously. Kartchner Homes, at least per one source, will be building the Mountain Falls Apartments in SRL. I also saw 240 apartments for the first time. IDK if it will be 200, 240 or other. Things can change.

And IFGuy, to supplement our flurry of back and forth emails last week , I've made a list of 6-7 new retail businesses eastern ID needs. These are mid to big box, not just a store. I think all could be viable given that Jackson Hole, BYU-Idaho and Poky all come to Bonneville County to shop. I've also asked people if they thought these stores were wanted. This assumes, of course, that Costco is headed to Jackson Hole Junction.

1. Williams - Sonoma. If they won't commit then the Pottery Barn, but not both currently.

2. Nordstrom Rack - this is the only one on my list that wouldn't be mid box size.

3. HM Dept. Store.

4. An Electronics/Book Store to compete with Best Buy.

5. Eddie Bauer......let's see if they will come back. They closed, it seems, right as we were going into the great recession. Much has changed, including BYU-Idaho and I.F. being > 60K.

6. Shapiro Travel - smaller specialty store, but they've remained open in Boise, now maybe they need to try I.F.

7. Female (Adult) clothing specialty. Too many in the mall are for college and teens.

There were more, but I didn't know if this population base could support them.

Grand Teton Mall now counts their service area to be 400,000K. They should know.

I'd love to see a business or two that focuses on using the river for transportation and recreation. How come we don't have boats and water skiing? Why not offer a water taxi to see the sights via the river? Or even a tourists trip where a boat shows sights from the river, even if passengers couldn't start in one spot and end up in another? The river should be used as a fun event or destination event for locals and tourists both. It's great fun in Ft. Lauderdale to take a water taxi to a restaurant etc. No, it couldn't be year round, but I'll bet more than seven or eight months.

Just some thoughts I had after our emails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 PM

The other thing I know is Shane Murphy is building a Java Express in Poky and apparently a fourth one in Hall Park shopping center on 17th. That's Woodruff and 17th Street, but the first one eastbound. He has a new design for Poky, I hope the Hall Park is the same design with some indoor seating.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 PM

74 posts, read 45,226 times
Hey all...been out of town for a couple weeks...missed a lot. MSR...does that mean they are buying out the Morning Grind? Doesn't seem to be room for another building in the front of that plaza.

I might have a lead on the Kartchner Homes building the apartment buildings...I will have to make a call tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1834 View Post
Hey all...been out of town for a couple weeks...missed a lot. MSR...does that mean they are buying out the Morning Grind? Doesn't seem to be room for another building in the front of that plaza.

I might have a lead on the Kartchner Homes building the apartment buildings...I will have to make a call tomorrow.
Chris,

We have missed you! The sign looks nice on W. Broadway for the Home 2 Suites. That opens soon....congrats, we need it! Let me check the addresses of the Morning Grind. I'll see what I can learn.

When you can, Chris, please look back two or three pages. It's where I posted more info about EIRMC.

Thanks and welcome back

Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM

364 posts, read 237,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
In my dreams. Not like anyone is going to show them the way they use to. I think we've been responsible with the info we've learned. Show us the permits!

I'm actually wrong about that bldg. permit going into the River Bend development. It may be some road names get changed, unless they continue from near the river through the traffic and over the land to this development which extends John Adams Parkway and Curlew. It is in Ammon, I think. There is a River Road close to the river and 1J County line. That's where the house will be built.

No, the only I.F. building permit I know about is Sandhill Media got another one for about 1.6 the amount of their first one. Now maybe the rest of that addition can get built.

I did read something that differs from what we've learned previously. Kartchner Homes, at least per one source, will be building the Mountain Falls Apartments in SRL. I also saw 240 apartments for the first time. IDK if it will be 200, 240 or other. Things can change.

And IFGuy, to supplement our flurry of back and forth emails last week , I've made a list of 6-7 new retail businesses eastern ID needs. These are mid to big box, not just a store. I think all could be viable given that Jackson Hole, BYU-Idaho and Poky all come to Bonneville County to shop. I've also asked people if they thought these stores were wanted. This assumes, of course, that Costco is headed to Jackson Hole Junction.

1. Williams - Sonoma. If they won't commit then the Pottery Barn, but not both currently.

2. Nordstrom Rack - this is the only one on my list that wouldn't be mid box size.

3. HM Dept. Store.

4. An Electronics/Book Store to compete with Best Buy.

5. Eddie Bauer......let's see if they will come back. They closed, it seems, right as we were going into the great recession. Much has changed, including BYU-Idaho and I.F. being > 60K.

6. Shapiro Travel - smaller specialty store, but they've remained open in Boise, now maybe they need to try I.F.

7. Female (Adult) clothing specialty. Too many in the mall are for college and teens.

There were more, but I didn't know if this population base could support them.

Grand Teton Mall now counts their service area to be 400,000K. They should know.

I'd love to see a business or two that focuses on using the river for transportation and recreation. How come we don't have boats and water skiing? Why not offer a water taxi to see the sights via the river? Or even a tourists trip where a boat shows sights from the river, even if passengers couldn't start in one spot and end up in another? The river should be used as a fun event or destination event for locals and tourists both. It's great fun in Ft. Lauderdale to take a water taxi to a restaurant etc. No, it couldn't be year round, but I'll bet more than seven or eight months.

Just some thoughts I had after our emails
I think that Sheel's would make a nice fit in or near SRL, especially considering Cabelas didnt build a full size store and the lack of a Dick's sporting goods. Im not sure if 8B has ever been on their radar. I also think another grocer will be needed near 116. It seems that fred meyer has been itching to expand its idaho falls presence

Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 PM

382 posts, read 387,110 times
on a different note, that stretch of Sunnyside between the Holmes and the interstate desperately needs another gas station or two. anybody hearing any plans?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 PM

307 posts, read 338,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I think that Sheel's would make a nice fit in or near SRL, especially considering Cabelas didnt build a full size store and the lack of a Dick's sporting goods. Im not sure if 8B has ever been on their radar. I also think another grocer will be needed near 116. It seems that fred meyer has been itching to expand its idaho falls presence
Not so sure if Idaho Falls can handle another grocery store. I was very shocked to see Broulims enter the market. It may be quite a few years depending on growth before we see another and with that said, I would expect one closer to Broadway, but then again Sunnyside isn't too far away and Snake River Landing is probably keeping its eyes open for a potential store.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
What are the major differences between Dick's Sporting Goods and Sheel'? I'very never heard of Scheels before, but a quick search showed stores in Billings and I think it was Great Falls, MT. One in Sandy, UT and any in WY are in the Cheyenne/Casper region. This would be a first for ID.

Also, just because Dick's Sporting Gooding apparently is going in Phase I of Sandcreek Commons, that doesn't mean they are interested. I looked at their locations in ID months ago. I think they built both Twin Falls and Meridian in the time frame we hoped they would locate here. It makes sense, imo, to add two additional stores to their existing Boise store as stocking three in a larger cluster is probably more cost efficient.

However, they have one in Poky. So unless they think the Poky store would close, if a another store were built here, I see building a second (east) Idaho store here as more cost efficient for supplying the stores.

Theotherdude, I agree with you. I'd like to see a Dick's/Scheels or REI be built in SRL. The south end is designed for retail by Sunnyside. The new park will be further north, but not by much. I'd love to see some commercial businesses close by to supplement the "park/river" enjoyment and the Events Center too. I think that area of SRL gets annexed and zoned tonight.

I started a list of businesses that I think are needed and would do well here. I meant to add another office supply store, be it a Staples, or a full Porter's Store from Rexburg adding an I.F. store. But I think a business office store is needed in the downtown or westside.

More importantly, what businesses do all of you think are needed and would do well? Whether the Mid-size space at Sandcreek Commons is large enough for a Dick's Sporting Goods/Scheels/REI or other, IDK. But, retail will be growing in SRL, Jackson Hole Junction, Sandcreek Commons, Eagle Ridge and other locations. I'm interested in what you think would do well here and what you would like SRL and possibly other areas downtown or westside offer.

IFGuy, there is going to have to be a grocery store downtown, if the city wants to offer downtown as an area to live. It will have to be walkable for many residents who may not own vehicles in the future. Instead, they walk or bike to work, groceries and more. That has to happen if downtown is going to revitalize. The store doesn't have to be as big. Actually, Broulims would have been a good downtown candidate, imo, since they do lots of Deli food and don't necessarily even have two brands of everything. It's not just my opinion, it's an expensive one the city got ( More to read)

Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
on a different note, that stretch of Sunnyside between the Holmes and the interstate desperately needs another gas station or two. anybody hearing any plans?
Really swell seeing your name again tmp4

I think many agree with you and one developer, at least maybe more, are trying to sell property to
would-be -future Gas Station /C store owners.

What other commercial/retail businesses would you like to see added that are viable?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many of the forums or sub-forums talk about getting together so they all could meet. I've always thought the Idaho Falls posters should get together in a Suburban or Van. Our get together would be traveling throughout the area looking at the new developments! It's what most of us are interested in

If any of you haven't yet, I strongly encourage you to check out the link to REDI. The new CEO starts within two weeks. The link is important because if you scroll through it, you'll see who is making a commitment to grow and develop. Look at the donors There is important info in what companies are donating, as they plan on being part of the growth.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 PM

307 posts, read 338,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Really swell seeing your name again tmp4

I think many agree with you and one developer, at least maybe more, are trying to sell property to
would-be -future Gas Station /C store owners.

What other commercial/retail businesses would you like to see added that are viable?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many of the forums or sub-forums talk about getting together so they all could meet. I've always thought the Idaho Falls posters should get together in a Suburban or Van. Our get together would be traveling throughout the area looking at the new developments! It's what most of us are interested in

If any of you haven't yet, I strongly encourage you to check out the link to REDI. The new CEO starts within two weeks. The link is important because if you scroll through it, you'll see who is making a commitment to grow and develop. Look at the donors There is important info in what companies are donating, as they plan on being part of the growth.
That'd be fun. My wife isn't as interested, as in very little so having some people to share this interest with would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or