U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,163,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
On a lot that size and 5 floors, I don't think you could possibly get 100 dwelling units, even if all were studio apartments. To get to 500 will take several large projects. I agree that most downtowns parking is pretty far from the action. This is why I think TRPTA should be looking to expand its presence in downtown. A centrally located parking structure would solve quite a few problems but then you would have to brace for future growth as well.
Hi Theotherdude,

I agree with you 100% about what < acre can hold at Broadway and Memorial Dr. I said maybe 100 apartments, which could easily be why they are now saying six stories not five. The ground floor will be retail. But if floors 2-6 averaged 20 apartments, that would be 100. Maybe 100 is too ambitious as well, IDK. I re-read what you wrote. The RDA got recommendations to build smaller apartments. This is NOT my area of expertise, so I defer to those who know. It's not even a full acre. Boy, did the RDA pay for that land.... $1.5 million. But they have to start somewhere and I just think the Bonneville will take longer and not grab the attention the Kelsch property will of both locals and tourists.

What do you think is a realistic number of apartments in the five floors? I agree, it will take several projects to reach 500 apartments and then will come condos. But, two things happen by *seeding* downtown with this highly visible location. First, when it rents out rapidly, that gives other developers baseline numbers to work with. Financial lenders want to see the numbers: rent, occupancy, waiting lists etc. There are over 3,000 people who work downtown. That doesn't include INL, University Place or CAES etc. So the RDA has to be involved to get information available for private developers. Already since this information was obtained, I know one owner is adding 10-15 apartments to an existing building on the second floor. If offices aren't filling the second floors, more may opt to have 10-20 apts. in existing buildings.

I had to do the detailed math last night. The Bonneville has ~ 65 apts. currently. Residents will have to move to let a developer restore and build that building. Maybe 75 apartments? Last night I calculated if these two properties yielded 150 apartments together, that would be great. Private developers will have to add the other 350. Secondly, more businesses from dry cleaners, to a variety store and eateries will be moving in when they see the numbers. I wish some of those closed restaurants were on S. Utah or downtown! Their difference would make them popular.

Did you see the part where I essentially wrote if this could be six stories and 100 apartments it would basically serve as a guide for private developers to build? That's not exactly what I wrote, but I did address it. It's in the first paragraph by the number for this. I'm not sure of my exact words, I've had two long calls since then. Please just look at it again. I'm happy to hear them talK about six stories high It's the start to more six story buildings and then someday one will get built higher etc. They will be mixed development. I could see a building by the ballpark and other areas downtown like E or F streets etc.

Yes, I agree with you about TRPTA. I think they should check for grants as I think they need to run 2-3 buses just downtown around specific routes. I don't think they can afford to decrease service as they seem to have it working much better, IMO. SRL has done a really good job of getting benches and bus stops near Bandon Apts. With the new apartments, those residents need to be able to take a bus to work downtown as well. You and I have already talked about where other TRPTA buses could meet down town buses for rideas to transfet.. Not going to put that info here now, but maybe the library for a while? What do you think? And that can change with time.

I'd like to see monthly bus passes too.

Yes, about central parking. I think some additional parking, or maybe a parking structure on presently owned parking....they can only plan for 10 years at a time then reasses. I think more people would ride downtown buses if they went to those peripheral parking lots every hour. I can see how three buses could be quite busy.

Also, I checked the buildings WEST of Lindsay Blvd (I wrote east while on the phone waiting). This could be good news too. The zoning change is for almost five acres changing from Highway Commercial to Industrial and Manufacturing. I'd love to see products built in those buildings with higher paying jobs. Workers could live downtown

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 10-22-2015 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 PM

310 posts, read 341,576 times
It's interesting to see and hear about all the new developments lately, I think Idaho Falls is starting its newest cycle of growth and development.

Those who have spoken of the westside growing and changing are right on point and the changes will be rapid. Very exciting for sure.

To add some fuel to the fire, I've heard strong rumors that Target acquired the old Kmart property and plans to build a supercenter. Another sign of an impending boom on the westside.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
It's interesting to see and hear about all the new developments lately, I think Idaho Falls is starting its newest cycle of growth and development.

Those who have spoken of the westside growing and changing are right on point and the changes will be rapid. Very exciting for sure.

To add some fuel to the fire, I've heard strong rumors that Target acquired the old Kmart property and plans to build a supercenter. Another sign of an impending boom on the westside.
Awesome!!! I love Super Targets. Interesting Fred Meyer wouldn't add another store but Target will. Additionally, some property I mentioned to you in a PM is being rezoned. Let's connect on the other site. I want to mention a couple of things that I think are too sensitive to post. In your opinion, does a Super Target help or hurt Costco?

Did you see my post about the test flights last week?

Hey, IF Guy, how many apts. do you think could go in at the former Kelsch property. Could they reach 100 with floors 2-6?

Yip, I think I.F. is getting ready to grow again!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 PM

My understanding is that target will close their Ammon store. Which in my opinion is smart on their part for two reasons. Number one is they don't have to pay an enormous monthly rent and two, they may be capitalizing on the Costco ordinance and getting some nice tax breaks.

I believe that the development community knows of upcoming plans and many companies are strategically maneuvering based on known plans.

I've said it before that the next cycle of big development hinged on two things, Costco and the event center. We have firm commitments from one and rumors that the other is extremely interested, the other peices will fall quicker than a toddlers puzzle.

It's also interesting to me that suddenly Marriott is eager to add, Eagle Ridge moved quickly to install necessary infrastructure and the RDA is moving on desirable downtown property to bring new life to downtown. It's not by coincidence that it's all happening at once. Plans have been in place, the timing hasn't been right until just recently. A perfect storm if you will is just offshore and building strength, landfall is imminent.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
On a lot that size and 5 floors, I don't think you could possibly get 100 dwelling units, even if all were studio apartments. To get to 500 will take several large projects. I agree that most downtowns parking is pretty far from the action. This is why I think TRPTA should be looking to expand its presence in downtown. A centrally located parking structure would solve quite a few problems but then you would have to brace for future growth as well.
Theotherdude, I've got it of how many apartments you think can be built on five floors, given the lot size. Do you think 50 or 75 is workable? Private developers will pattern a lot based on this building.

Here's the kicker. A lot of suggestions from the RDA are exactly as the consultants wrote them. The consultants focused a lot on Millennials. Right now, in a different forum, I'm involved in a discussion with a Millennial who lives in an Urban area. That person is sick of some aspects of what was built. I think RDA should go ahead with these projects, but depending on what I learn, I''d be working with some interns from EITC, BYU-I, ISU, BSU, U. of Idaho, Utah State and the University of Utah getting surveys and direct feedback of what Intermountain West Millennials want. That will yield info from those most likely to live downtown. There are other groups, but Millennial workers are a core population.

It also floats the word through various campuses what Idaho Falls is doing. Currently, INL ( including all subcontractors) have 350 open jobs. We don't hear about them as they have to use head hunters to find them, their special skill set is that unique. It would be good to get current INL employees' feedback too, IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IFGuy,

As probably the person who mentions Skyline and the west side the most, that is great news. I think there are possibilities beyond what most know on the west side. Those apartments and Townhouses on S. Butte Road are full. There is a lot of potential for projects growing west of the city.

Yes, it is kind of like the perfect storm for good. But, I think RDA and local contractors have had a lot to do with everyone reaching this point together. Oh, I keep forgetting to tell you, Voigt is ready to start building on the north. The south is full.

I think a lot of good things are ahead for the I.F. metro area. You don't even know what I suspect about *Rick Warner Road*. That's my name for it until someone else comes in and builds a $10 million project that will have higher paying jobs and probably bring other new business too.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 PM

16 posts, read 10,381 times
Hi! Long time lurker (4 years), I want to thank you guys for all the great posts! I am as well very interested in construction projects happening around Idaho Falls, keep up the great work!!

Anyways, I have a question, what happened to the Taylor Crossing building west of the Eagle waterfall, back when the whole area there was under construction back in 2007 I saw there was a sign for a future building there and then it was taken off and nothing ever happened.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evGTA15 View Post
Hi! Long time lurker (4 years), I want to thank you guys for all the great posts! I am as well very interested in construction projects happening around Idaho Falls, keep up the great work!!

Anyways, I have a question, what happened to the Taylor Crossing building west of the Eagle waterfall, back when the whole area there was under construction back in 2007 I saw there was a sign for a future building there and then it was taken off and nothing ever happened.
Unfortunately the owners of Taylor Crossing had their money tied up with Arkansas National Bank and they went belly up during the recession, taking the Walker brothers vision along with it. They still haven't recovered.

A few of us have been speculating that quite possibly the only way the vision and development get completed is a developer buys them out.

Thankfully it sounds like the whole area is destined for some Rapid growth, there's no way the area stays undeveloped for too much longer.

And welcome by the way!

Old 10-24-2015, 10:13 AM

365 posts, read 239,951 times
That area would have been classy with all southern achetecture. I see huge potential within Taylor Crossing right now that may just not have been there years ago when a lot of that was to be....

MSR, I think about 80 units is doable on five residential floors on the kelsch property. The Bonneville currently has about 65 units. Maybe 60 on completion of a renovation.

I hope target really builds over there. I saw some plans the other day for that property (unofficial of course) that would have put a retail strip directly in front of the large building. I was disgusted that they would kill the potential of that property in such a manner. Super target sounds so much better. Would they demolish and rebuild? Or utilize the current building? It's probably a bit outdated for any large store to want to use it.

I noticed this morning that work has begun on the retail strip on the IF side of Hitt. There is new signage for the Washington federal bank as a tenant of this building. Also noticed that the house on Sunnyside across from broulims has been removed. There may be something in the works for that land too.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:16 AM

382 posts, read 390,285 times
I saw land being excavated and a sign up for a new plastic surgery center on Sunnyside, east of KJ's convenience store.

The Medical Mile is nearly complete now. That stretch of road pretty much has something for every ailment or procedure imaginable

Old 10-24-2015, 11:19 AM

382 posts, read 390,285 times
regarding Costco vs Super Target. I, for one, would never have the need to shop at a jumbo warehouse store. But a Super Target absolutely. Especially since the Ammon Target doesn't have a full grocery section or even a pharmacy. Most Super Targets do. I'd switch over all of my prescriptions to Target that's how much I enjoy shopping there. That's the most exciting news for me personally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or