Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 05:07 PM

434 posts, read 416,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Yes, it's good to see this. That is the property I told you about months ago that was very confusing to me how certain RDA obligations couldn't be met, yet this property either was sold independently or something.

I'd like to see a BMW motorcycle shop along S. Utah or in Eagle Ridge. More and more are being used for YNP. I'd also like to see a rental for boats, jet skis , kayaks and more so the river can be accessed for fun. It's a huge potential for certain businesses and barely used. I believe there is river access for small water toys in the park south of TC. Boats would have to access the river from a different location. But close to the hotels would be great locations for these businesses, IMO. Also, an IMAX and indoor/outdoor putting green would be used. Between hotel guests, residents of SRL and downtown workers among others, I think Eagle Ridge in particular would be a great location for different recreational businesses.

Does anyone know how safe that section of river is for swimmers? That could be the reason we see no recreational uses on it. Signs are posted at about Taylor Bridge warning swimmers of potential dangers. To make it more rec friendly, I'd imagine the city would have to put barriers to keep people out of the power generation areas and areas known to be hazardous.

All that said, I've wondered what the possibility was of opening the canal next to it to swimmers or even people wanting to float down on tubes similar to the Boise River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:13 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Does anyone know how safe that section of river is for swimmers? That could be the reason we see no recreational uses on it. Signs are posted at about Taylor Bridge warning swimmers of potential dangers. To make it more rec friendly, I'd imagine the city would have to put barriers to keep people out of the power generation areas and areas known to be hazardous.

All that said, I've wondered what the possibility was of opening the canal next to it to swimmers or even people wanting to float down on tubes similar to the Boise River.
Very valid point, Theotherdude. I know the entire river can't be used. However, part is being used for Kayaking, up around Freeman Park etc. The city is starting kayaking lessons : City of Idaho Falls - Beginning Recreational Kayaking Class (14-18) So someone is thinking about utilizing the river more. Also, I know there are private boat docks on the east side around 4500 -5000 South and potentially lower downstream. I think it would actually be better if different areas of the River were used for different purposes. Speed boats can go from the boat docks on Lindsay down to a certain point toward the falls and upstream too.

I can't believe this wonderful part of the city can't be used for fun and new businesses.

Good question about the canal!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Default Initial Proposals in for Redevelopment Agency for the Bonneville Hotel and the Kelsch Property

The Idaho Falls RDA is announcing the initial details from three developers interested in redeveloping the Bonneville Hotel. One developer submitted a proposal for Kelsch quite different than I had anticipated, but perhaps a better use of the property. All submitting proposals are Idaho companies.

For Kelsch the only proposal came from Boise's Oppenheimer Development Corp. who proposes three uses for the space. Their proposal for Kelsch is two buildings with a central Plaza between the two buildings. The Central Plaza would be a gathering place for the community, which would be capable of hosting concerts and other entertainment. There may be a winter ice rink and some type of permanent water feature. The building on Broadway would be single story-story and totally retail. The second building would be three stories closest to A street. The first floor would be restaurants and/or retail. The second floor would be offices and apartments on the third floor.

What do you think of this proposal for Kelsch at Broadway and Memorial Dr.?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 AM

Default Bonneville Hotel Proposal

I'm splitting these up since I'm having to type each word and I don't want to lose anything.

Before anyone points out I haven't added anything about parking, those details aren't available today. Those details and others had the extended deadline to be described in detail.

The Bonneville Hotel had three proposals submitted. First, Thomas-Development from Boise sees the first floor as retail or restaurants. I believe per the extension of the detailed reports being due, there has to be a community component on this floor as well. The Bonneville is on the National Register of Historic Places, so it must contain certain things on the first floor for the public. Thomas Development would build offices on the second floor and apartments on the remaining three floors. I'm not clear if those would be low income or not. The low -moderate income would qualify developers for grants or other funding.

The second plan is from Widmyer Corp. from C'dA. Widmyer wrote it has done similar projects in C'dA. We might want to check with some here about their redevelopment. Specifics will follow with the extra time the RDA offered.

The final proposal is from Boise-based developer, The Housing Company. Their proposal has a Pocatello architect and Idaho Falls contractor. The Housing Company has the first floor as retail and commercial. The remaining four floors would be apartments. There would be a variety of studio, 1 bdrm. and 2 bedroom apartments. Hopefully the media will add more so links can posted.

Do you have a favorite of the three proposals so far? It is hard without knowing what Widmyer proposes but we'll know by a month from now.

It will still be good to have these projects start before the end of the year. RDA also confirmed the Springhill Suites being built by Woodbury is ready to break ground anyday.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 AM

168 posts, read 174,204 times
Heavy equipment (dozer, 2 scrapers, grader and a water truck) showed up Tuesday on the property at the South East corner of S 25th east and E 49th So. (across 25th from Sand Creek golf course)

This field was planted in potatoes last year, but about a third of the overall property was surveyed and staked earlier this year, so it appears another subdivision is coming to South Ammon. It looks like they are starting with the section across 49th S. from Wackerli Ave. I haven't been by there today, but would bet they'll have the hill leveled from the middle of the field in short order.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM

That is to be a pretty big subsivision. The name I think is Granite Creek. I hear well over 400 units with about 10 acres of commercial.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:15 PM

385 posts, read 526,286 times
maybe that will encourage the city to upgrade the facilities at Sand Creek golf course

we could use an upscale course in town

Old 05-05-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
maybe that will encourage the city to upgrade the facilities at Sand Creek golf course

we could use an upscale course in town
Let City Rec know. They work on the most desired rec. opportunities first. Èmail them and make specific suggestions. It may not be possible in this year's budget, but they are already having meetings for the 2017 budget.

What would you like changed at the Country Club? I honestly haven't heard complaints about golf, but the people I know who golf are probably thrilled just to have the time off and be on any golf course. Also, Huntsman Springs and others aren't that far away.

I'd really like to see someone or a group build a putting greens facility, with both inside and outside options, in Eagle Ridge. Having somewhere indoors to putt in winter would probably be welcomed by both residents and visitors.

Edit: I think Huntsman Springs and other major courses on both sides of the Tetons prevent some from getting more in local courses vs. having a nice drive to these resorts.

For those who potentially haven't seen it, here's a link to the Driggs resort : http://huntsmansprings.com/golf/

Old 05-05-2016, 05:49 PM

385 posts, read 526,286 times
Huntsman Springs and Teton Springs are both fantastic courses, but correct me if I'm wrong, they're both private and you need to be a member's guest to play

at Sand Creek I'd like to see an updated clubhouse. a nicer facility with a restaurant/bar and some seating. the course itself is perfectly fine for a municipal course, and it has probably the best driving range in town. but the amenities leave little to be desired.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM

I always thought it would be cool to build a course around the sand dunes and have them as the centerpiece of the course. The problem is that the wind blows. How would they keep the sand dunes from ending up on the fairway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls