Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 AM

434 posts, read 416,692 times

Advertisements

I didn't think it was legal to rent out an apartment without windows. Rooms in a house that do not have egress windows aren't allowed to be designated as bedrooms. What do I know?

Maybe my thinking wasn't too far off about having more companies invested in downtown. I am happy with what Thomas has already done in downtown and I do think their proposal was a bit more attractive. I agree that it's important to save more cash for other redevelopment projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I didn't think it was legal to rent out an apartment without windows. Rooms in a house that do not have egress windows aren't allowed to be designated as bedrooms. What do I know?

Maybe my thinking wasn't too far off about having more companies invested in downtown. I am happy with what Thomas has already done in downtown and I do think their proposal was a bit more attractive. I agree that it's important to save more cash for other redevelopment projects.
Good points, Theotherdude. The window issue is probably why the Boise-based attorney who advises RDA mentioned the windows. I think you know a lot. That may also be how come Bateman-Hall was discussed first. There is tremendous trust for BH building to code.

This was a big decision and in many ways the RDA Council was making decisions not only about the Bonneville but other businesses they potentially could help before "The River District" expires in 2018. With the info about the Motorcycle Copany, we may see the Walmart in I.F. over to Pancheri develop into a motorcycle corrider. Not necessarily what some thought, but if there is the interest, need and $, why not? After the Events Center is built these motorcycle enthusiasts may be a group who would like to hold a convention there, and/or attend other events. I agree, there is merit in trying to help more businesses.

RDA can't help with everything. They usually are limited to moving utility lines, access to paved roads, parking, extra help for blasting the basalt rock, given the high cost etc. Given that the River District ends in 2018, I'd prefer to see some other businesses where the blasting costs so much and often utility lines don't exist benefit from the extra $. If the Northgate Mile is the next UR District, roadways, utilities and other infrastructure already exist that don't by the River. Different types of help would be needed, but we'll cross that bridge later. Idaho Laws could easily change more by then.

I think the Bonneville roof and seating will be a condition of the contract that it not be a restaurant or bAR witH public access. RDA had strong feelings about that. There could be legal issues with the roof, let alone maintaince issues in winter and other concerns. If anything, I suspect any roof access will be limited and only for residents and their guests.

I saw an article today that said construction would start Nov., 2017. The same article said The Housing Company had several properties in the area. That isn't correct - it's Thomas Development who does. The author appears to have gotten the companies mixed up. It will be nice to see this project get funded and come to fruition. Local suppliers and sub-contractors will be used for as much work as possible

Old 08-27-2016, 03:57 PM

Yesterday I saw a different rendering for Kelsch. IDK if this is new or a much older version. It may be how come there are anticipated higher costs and the need for more parking. This came from the Idaho Business Review, check it out if you can. Basically this rendering enclosing the entire space with what looks like a 4-5 story building. Maybe we'll learn more as THC starts their preparation of forms needed for grants in the Feb. 2018 and RDA doesn't have as much to do this fall. I like the look of this building. I still think commercial closest to Broadway with bigger business and cafes or smaller restaurants in the second section that was going to be a Splash Park and more.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 PM

385 posts, read 525,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I think the Bonneville roof and seating will be a condition of the contract that it not be a restaurant or bAR witH public access. RDA had strong feelings about that. There could be legal issues with the roof, let alone maintaince issues in winter and other concerns. If anything, I suspect any roof access will be limited and only for residents and their guests.
that's too bad. could have been a great draw.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
that's too bad. could have been a great draw.
It still could be for a private developers and private restaurant. Who knows, if the pic I saw of Kelsch yesterday is new, perhaps a rooftop restaurant would be an option there, or any new building that builds downtown. Some of the hotels could too.

I have to agree with RDA on this one. Given the other buildings around, given that the entire interior is going to be gutted and rebuilt I think they are concerned at this point about how much snow and ice could accumulate in the NW corner, plus keeping the public out with the external stairs.

I like the idea a lot! I just think RDA feels it is a huge risk on a property they are a major source of funding. There were also questions about what is on the roof now and what would change after rebuilding the interior. No one really knew. I hope they allow residents to have their guests go outside in a more limited area, as well as residents themselves.

I'll bet you we'll see rooftop dining or a bar within five years. Part is letting those developers, or existing property owners know what is wanted. But I seriously doubt anything funded partially with tax payer dollars will build a rooftop restaurant after the entire building is gutted and rebuilt.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 AM

As always, Paul M. has a good summary, but none of the fine details, about the Bonneville Redevelopment. He also posted a cool pic of the rendering of the completed project.

I need to clarify something I wrote earlier as both Paul and I are correct. I am accurate than The Housing Company (THC) doesn't own other property locally. However, Paul is also correct that THC MANAGES > 1,500 living units throughout the state.

BizMojo Idaho: Development team selected for Bonneville Hotel restoration

Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Thumbs up Warner Truckland Open

Are you ready for some different news? I am.

It is Trucker time!!

Warner Truckland is open on 6500 South off of Exit #113. They will have a formal opening in Sept. They service Freightliner trucks and the franchise has been extended to Idaho Falls. The sign shows Freightliner on the building. This $10 million investment in Bonneville County has already been working on trucks for two weeks.

Here is more about the new facility that is different than others:

Idaho Falls, ID | Warner Truck Centers

Also, Mountain States Trucking, just north of Warner Truckland on Doug Andrus Drive, missed their projected Aug. 1 opening. But I suspect they will be open by Oct. 1, 2016 at the latest. Landscaping and even planting of trees has already occurred.

Here is their update listing all the specifics about their Idaho Falls location.

Locations Mountain West Truck Center

There are going to have to be some stoplights on 6500 S. Where would you put them? Is it better traffic flow to have at least one at Exit #113, or is farther east on 6500 South better? Doug Andrus Trucking and Melaleuca are on the west side with trucks entering and exiting I-15 as well.

Will that Overpass need to be double or more lanes each way, given the volume of traffic?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 PM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
I think the road should be widened and have traffic signals at the exit. Road & bridge would likely receive federal funding for that portion. That's where most the volume is.
If I recall correctly, there was to be a new 5 lane road from Sunnyside to 65th. I don't know exactly where that will lie bit I would imagine another signal where that intersects at 65th

Old 09-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Default Kneaders Opening Date

Kneaders finally has selected 9/30 as their opening date.

BizMojo Idaho: Kneaders reports plan to open in Ammon Sept. 30

Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 AM

This kind of does and doesn't belong here. But because those considering building new hotels or expanding existing ones need to get started ASAP so I'll post here.

July broke records big time for tourists to YNP. Lodging was up 15% over last year just for July. And last year broke all the records. This is translates into $11.7 million dollars.

I know there are two new hotels being built in Rexburg, including a Hampton Inn. But let's get busy Idaho Falls, the Summerhill Suites and the new hotel in Ammon can't absorb the extra rooms needed. Tourists are having o stay in Pocatello/Chubbuck as there simply aren't enough rooms available.

To newer posters and readers let me be very clear how come many of us post about Idaho Falls projects and not Poky/Chubbuck ones. Tourism is one of four core economic drivers in Idaho Falls. When the R.E.D.I. regional development was organized last year, Bingham County and Blackfoot rapidly joined Grow Idaho Falls to become a regional alliance to work together. Pocatello rejected the offer saying the two cities had different populations and different needs. Chubbuck I'll just skip.

So those in Bannock County might want to start a similar thread focusing on what is happening in 1B.

Meanwhile, it will be good to get the extra dollars for the Event Center, but to me shows the need for the Event Center in Idaho Falls even more. Tourists attend events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls