U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM

310 posts, read 341,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Yep, I've thought of Rigby at least once. The job is working for a large home oxygen provider-the manager said some visits could be out as far as Mud Lake, wherever that is. He mentioned the need to relocate there.

I said something about maybe renting a room and staying nearby Rexburg until I save enough to move the 4 animals and my wife over there from Kellogg. Too bad I can't find a Respiratory Therapist opportunity in N. Idaho that offers full-time hours but so far it's proven to be most elusive to me. An interview is coming right up for the Rexburg job...I am both excited and intrigued by it's closeness to Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, The Grand Tetons...etc.

How far from the Teton Range is Rexburg, as the crow flies sort of a thing, maybe?
The drive to the Teton Range is 45 minutes to an hour. You get to drive through the beautiful Teton River Valley and over the Teton Pass. If it is winter expect to double that time, sometimes the pass can get very bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 AM

6,048 posts, read 5,809,787 times
That's it. I officially want the Rexburg job. The Grand Tetons are the most beautiful mountain range I've ever seen and Yellowstone National Park is my favorite park anywhere. I am trying to not emotionally invest myself in the job opportunity because they don't always go the way you are hoping they will go but this opportunity sounds really, really promising!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 PM

21,482 posts, read 14,393,529 times
Hi, elko...
Mud Lake is a small community west of Rexburg. It's about a 30 mile drive.
Idaho Falls may have a much better housing situation than Rexburg. Although Rexburg' housing has grown astronomically over a decade, it's still in tight supply there, as the student body at BYUI just keeps growing.
IF has a lot of homes for sale in all price brackets, and there are lots of good buys. Some sellers, especially those who moved away during a slow market, have gone to renting to carefully selected renters, and sometimes the homes are fully furnished. This may be an advantage for you for the first year or so.

IF also has a much richer diversity and more civic activities going on. I would also think that the schools are less crowded here as well, but that would have to be investigated, as I don't about know the Rexburg school situation.

Since IF is such a big medical hub center, it may be possible for you to find a therapist job here. IF has the most diverse, best, and largest set of medical facilities in this part of the state.

A lot of Rexburgians commute to Idaho Falls daily; HWY 20 is a 4-lane and the major arterial highway from Ashton to Idaho Falls. It's always one of the first to be plowed in the winter, and makes for approximately a 25 minute drive to Rexburg in good weather. Winters add 10-15 minutes.

The Tetons are about as far away from IF as they are from Rexburg, depending on the route one takes. There is only one road that will take you there from Rexburg, but IF has 2 routes. The Teton Pass is closest to Rexburg, but can be snaky in the winter. The other route is longer and follows the Snake River, but is not as prone to avalanches and heavy ice as the pass. Jackson Hole is about 80 mi. east of IF, and about 70 mi. from Rexburg.

You're right- the Tetons are great and accessible, and the best side is the West side. Yellowstone is so close I've taken many day trips there with my kids, and that's great, too.

Come down if you can, and look things over for yourself. Lots of folks love it here.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:30 AM

banjomike-well, as you probably already know I live with my wife in Kellogg. I have recently responded to an ad in CDA in my field and I am having a phone interview on Thursday afternoon! Yay! If I could snag a job full-time in my field closer to us, like in CDA, it would really, really be cool. Evidently it requires the person selected for the job to not only have ID RT licensure but WA RT licensure as well. However, they state in the job ad that you can apply for WA RT licensure once you're selected for the job. So that sounds great. I won't mention the name of the outfit but no doubt most of you have heard of them.

So I now have two marshmallows roasting, both would be acceptable jobs for me and both would be very nice to obtain in this economy. So for those reasons I remain optimistic about my future in the allied healthcare field.

Yes, I do think that IF would be a preferable spot to locate for someone who scores a job in Rexburg, for reasons that you mentioned. The drive would not seem to be a problem for length or type from IF to Rexburg.

As far as the CDA job is concerned, I won't have to wait as long as the Rexburg job to find out. Interview is Nov.3rd already for that! Nov.8 is the tentative interview date for the Rexburg job. So something hopefully will be shakin' one way or the other in the first couple weeks of November. Cold time of year to do this sort of thing but heck, I've been job searchin' in earnest for about 6 months while working part-time already, so let's just roll wid it!

Thanks for your information, banjomike. I will probably be asking you some more questions from here on out, too. BTW-Teton Toyota's salesman in early 2006 was really good to work with and I remain impressed with that dealership. banjomike, could you answer me this question?

What other new car dealerships are there in IF, Pokey or even Rexburg? I know Pokey has a Toyota car dealership as well as IF for starters. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 AM

21,482 posts, read 14,393,529 times
Hi, elko...
I hope things work out well for you, whether it's in Cd'A or in this area! Good luck!

This might be an incomplete list. All are new cars:
Dodge, Jeep, Nissan, BMW- Ron Sayer Motors
Kia- Stone Motors
Hyundai, Chevrolet, Honda- Smith Motors
Cadillac, Buick, Audi, Volkswagen, Subaru, GMC- Wackerli Motors
Ford,- Broadway Ford
Toyota, Mercury (? Don't know if they are still being made), Lincoln (Don't know if they are still being carried)- Teton Toyota

We also have a lot of used car dealerships that carry just about every brand- the cars come and go, as it always is with used cars. Some brands that are regularly seen, but no dealerships here:
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz
MINI Cooper
Mitsubishi

There are also some heavy truck dealerships here, several RV dealerships, etc.
We have Honda, Harley, Victory, and other motorcycle dealerships.
Some of the above have dealerships in Pocatello, and others have dealerships in the Salt Lake City area, which is 200 miles south. There are dealerships in Rexburg, Rigby, and St. Anthony for some of these brands, especially the American iron.

Teton Toyota moved into a new & larger dealership after 2006. The other dealerships have multiple locations where 1-2 brands are sold. Some companies like Subaru, BMW, and others require single dealerships now.

IF has a lot of car outfits because it serves such a large area. Lots of cars sold here go over to Jackson Hole, Montana, and all the small Idaho towns westward, north and south of IF. Due to this, most dealerships have very good selections on the lot.

Last edited by banjomike; 11-03-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Excellent list, banjomike. I'll let ya know how the CDA RT job interview goes after 2:00PM today. This one is a huge interview because it will shape what my wife and I do from here on out. Or not. Ya never know until you enter into them!

And, man, the IF-Pokey area sounds loaded with new and used car dealers. I'll be fine. I drive a '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS right now, probably need to travel down south to SLC to get it looked at there or trade it in on an Outlander Sport in red. Just kidding.

Sort of! Love those new Outlander Sport's from Mitsu!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Today I got a call from the Manager at the Company in Rexburg I applied for a job at. He set me up for an interview on Nov.8th in Idaho Falls! Yahoo! Sounds like I'm still in the running. My wife and I will drive over there from Kellogg and I'll interview. Then we'll probably drive around and see the area after my interview. After the "trauma" from the interview it will be a livin' gas to just drive around the area we were living in in 2005-2006 (all right, that was Pocatello, but somewhat close by IF). Can't wait...and hopefully after this "in-person" interview they'll make a decision and hire a candidate. I'll let you know...sounds like I stand a good chance right now. The boss sounds like a decent guy.

Excited! I am starting to look for rentals (yes, a bit premature, but still) in the Rexburg, Idaho Falls, Ammon, Ashton, St.Anthony areas already and I'll print out and/or write some rental prospects down and take them along with us on our trip...just in case the interview goes really, really well. So excited...I forgot how much I really loved this area...and it was IF and surroundings that I love...not so much Pokey, just the truth. I'll be keepin' y'all informed.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 AM

310 posts, read 341,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Today I got a call from the Manager at the Company in Rexburg I applied for a job at. He set me up for an interview on Nov.8th in Idaho Falls! Yahoo! Sounds like I'm still in the running. My wife and I will drive over there from Kellogg and I'll interview. Then we'll probably drive around and see the area after my interview. After the "trauma" from the interview it will be a livin' gas to just drive around the area we were living in in 2005-2006 (all right, that was Pocatello, but somewhat close by IF). Can't wait...and hopefully after this "in-person" interview they'll make a decision and hire a candidate. I'll let you know...sounds like I stand a good chance right now. The boss sounds like a decent guy.

Excited! I am starting to look for rentals (yes, a bit premature, but still) in the Rexburg, Idaho Falls, Ammon, Ashton, St.Anthony areas already and I'll print out and/or write some rental prospects down and take them along with us on our trip...just in case the interview goes really, really well. So excited...I forgot how much I really loved this area...and it was IF and surroundings that I love...not so much Pokey, just the truth. I'll be keepin' y'all informed.
Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,836,725 times
Yeah, in my experience if they want an in-person interview, the job is practically yours. As long as you don't look like some sort of hick, make obvious mistakes with answers, or just come across as an a__hole, you will do well. I have strong confidence you will get an offer. To echo IFGuy, good luck!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you you guys! I am going to study everything involved in the job, right down to practicing teaching people the cleaning of their CPAP parts, SVN kits, etc., and studying the drugs they commonly use in the Rexburg. Hint...I was given an "in" by the Manager about which drugs to particularly study so I'm ready...so he is really being a good guy. That's quite a booster for someone who is interviewing. If I know what the trick questions are going to be ahead of time, wow, I am impressed by that as a hint!

He knows I really want the Rexburg job. I would do very well at it...love to get this one. And I would be proud to be a member of the Rexburg community. I love it's proximity to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or