Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,178 times

Advertisements

After a few years of strongly considering it, I'm pretty sure I want to move to Idaho Falls for the next school year. I am an Elementary Teacher, with 7 years of experience (in inner city schools) and a Master's degree. Everything I have read about moving to Idaho Falls says to make sure you have employment lined up before moving, so that's what I'm attempting to do

Does anyone know when schools in that area start hiring for the next school year? I check the websites for the Districts 91 and 93 frequently, as well as k12jobspot.com. I realize it's early in the year for schools to be hiring for August, but since I will be moving cross-country, obviously I'd like to have something arranged as early as possible. Any advice/experience anyone has with getting hired for a teaching job in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Before anyone tells me, I'm well aware that teaching salaries there are way lower than what I'm used to (Washington, DC), but with the cost of living and housing being so much cheaper, I think my standard of living would be about the same.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 PM

29,179 posts, read 22,181,469 times
Hi, Stranger...
I have two sisters-in-law who are teachers; one is recently retired and the other is still teaching. Both worked in Dist. 91, which is essentially only the schools inside Idaho Falls' city limits. Surrounding Bonneville County schools are in Dist. 93.

My retired relative is a part-time volunteer teacher now, and I'm going to see her later today. I'll be sure to ask her your questions.

Its sounds like you've done your homework well and have a realistic picture of what's happening here. Idaho is just beginning a big radical change in the state ed system, and knowing how to work a computer well will be a plus for you. The class sizes here are going to increase from what they were in the past, but I'll bet you can already handle a larger class from your D.C. experience.

I'll reply again after I learn some answers to your questions.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,209,694 times
Calvary Chapel also has a school if you're interested. Unaware if they are hiring.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM

29,179 posts, read 22,181,469 times
My relatives said the first thing to do is put in an application form, and just take it from there.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,178 times
Thanks very much for these answers. It was pretty much what I thought, but sometimes you don't know if there's something else you should know until you ask

I'll check out Calvary Chapel. Thanks, cleosmom.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,087,676 times
Hi, I'm curious what your Masters degree is in... If you don't mind me asking?

I am in my final semester of a MEd and curious if it is a common degree, or if Masters in specific subject areas are more desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: